PDA

View Full Version : Backups Outlook Express

tedheath
22-12-2002, 07:16 PM
Howdy,

As I said in an earlier post I am rebuilding my life after my computer took a lightening strike.
It took out everything but the 3.5 floppy drive.
I had been backing up to a cd every week but it may not have helped.
What I did was copy the wab file in OE (the one that looks like an open book) When I open the saved wab file on the cd it doesnt have anything inside. I had hoped to see a lot of email adddresses. But no it is gloom and despondency. Have I saved anything? What should I do next time?

Also I saved all dbx files to cd but I dont know how to transfer these back into my computer. Maybe I can go through these to get the email addresses back? I saved every dbx file from every email.
I have OE6 W98SE.
Thanks for any help I am a bit dumb so concise instructions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Tedheath

cyberchuck
22-12-2002, 07:30 PM
Hey

They should be located in the C:\Windows\Application Data\Identities\{identity}\Microsoft\Outlook Express\

However, you could just use the Import wizard in Outlook Express?
File > Import > Messages
Microsoft Outlook Express 6 > next
Import from an OE6 Store Directory > next
Browse to the location they're stored on your CD and follow it through

Hope this helped

CyberChuck

Elephant
22-12-2002, 07:37 PM
Yep... That should work. :-)

pluto
22-12-2002, 07:46 PM
tedheath...

Yeah the .wab acts funny sometimes. From my past experiences i have had the same problem. Especially if you have e-mail adresses/contacts stored in folders which are created within the main identity folder.

The adress are lost when you open the saved .wab file.
Try saving from CD to hard disk first and then try opening.
Its bit weird but one time it worked for me.

Also have a look at the size of .wab. If it is only few kb then dont think there willbe anything in it.

And cyberchuck is right on those replacing of e-mail messages.

Cheers

cyberchuck
22-12-2002, 07:56 PM
Sorry.. Didn't see the second part about restoring the address book

As IMPORT/EXPORT address book doesn't always work properly (try it and find out if it does) I would reccomend copying your backup to the desktop, renaming it to wab.exe and then opening:
"C:\Program Files\Outlook Express" (the folder) deleting the wab.exe that's in there and putting the one from your desktop in there

It's a cheap way of doing things, but it does work :D

CyberChuck

Alan Cottrell
22-12-2002, 09:19 PM
Hi Ted,

One important point, often overlooked is you need to copy your backed up address book and DBX files back into a folder on your new drive and change the attributes from "read only" to "archive", this is one of the main reasons people have trouble restoring backed up DBX and WAB files.

Once you have done this do as aforementioned and use the OE import from store directory function.

Alan

tedheath
22-12-2002, 09:56 PM
Thanks people for your help.
I tried both methods, Firstly copy the files into the C:\Windows\Application Data\Identities\{identity}\Microsoft\Outlook Express. It come up with a horrible error message when I next went to open OE, something like insufficient memory, missing a file and contact microsoft.
Bloody lucky I have goback!

Tried the File > Import > Messages
Microsoft Outlook Express 6 > next
Import from an OE6 Store Directory > next etc but the browse otpion showed the folder they were in but you couldnt open the folder in the browse mode to select them. The folder dont have that cross dufer to open.

Thanks for any more help
tedheath

tedheath
22-12-2002, 10:23 PM
Thanks Allan worked a treat, when I changed the attribute to archive.
No biggy now about lost wab addy book I can cruise through the folders and suck the email addies off the messages.
Thanks again

tedheath