PDA

View Full Version : Moving e-mail

sistajohn
22-12-2002, 05:18 PM
Hi,

I've just purchased a new computer, and I would like to copy all my old emails on my old machine to my new one. What files do I copy and where can I find them? I use Outlook Express 6, and my email account is a pop3 account.

Thanks,

John

duckyduck
22-12-2002, 06:18 PM
Do a search on your computer for files called *.dbx.

Then save those dbx files, better a CD if you can as they won't all fit on floppy disks.

Go to your new computer with the backup disk(s), open Outlook Express > Import > Messages > select Outlook Express 6 > Import from Other > browse to the location and follow the prompts.

That is off memory but it should get you there.

DON'T delete your old emails on your old computer before you have succesfully imported the old emails into your new computer.

Now lets not forget your address book.

I do a double check with this, first open the Address Book and Select All and then copy / paste to a floppy disk.

Then I would also do a second save using the more standard method by opening OE > Export > Address Book and follow the prompts to save it.

By doing two saves it saves you if one fails.

Again make sure the address book imports back to your new computer before you delete it from the old.

Peter H
22-12-2002, 07:40 PM
There are a lot of questions on this topic. All can be solved using e-Backup - inachis.com. Backs up address book - mail - favourites etc. I have used it with great success.
Bye

wotz
22-12-2002, 08:17 PM
don't forget custom.dic too

sistajohn
22-12-2002, 08:43 PM
Thanks for your replies!