Intel P 90
48 Mb ram
1 cavier 2540 hardrive set as master
1 seagate 545 hard drive set as slave
on the motherboard
1 PCI IDE both hard drives come off this
1 ISA IDE The CD Rom comes off this

The problem is
the slave hard drive is the only one that is recognised and thus becomes C:\, i honestly can't figure out what I am doing wrong, I would like both harddrives to be recognised
any help would be much appreciated.

Also I need a little help with
formatting the slave hard drive, I want it formatted so that i can install a fresh operating system on it, what is the best approach for doing this

Thanks in advance

cyberchuck
22-12-2002, 03:38 PM
Hey

The problem is that BIOS (and Windows) are only detecting the slave drive and not the master so the slave is C:
Are the cables "firmly" inplace with the Master (power and IDE)?
Does BIOS detect the Master Drive?
Also, you should be able to change the letter assignment of the drive in Device Manager (when the master is properly detected)

Formatting the slave drive:
I would boot the computer up in DOS (or if you get the master working you could do it in windows, but I prefer DOS) and type "FORMAT X:" where X is the drives letter assignment
Click Yes when it says are you sure
and away it goes getting you ready to install another OS

CyberChuck

Graham L
22-12-2002, 03:40 PM
The ISA IDE interface will be on a multi I/O board, I assume (one card with printer, serial, floppy, and IDE). It is probably taking the interrupt (IRQ14) which is default for IDE1, and that almost certainly can't be changed. I suspect that the BIOS code will try to find a bootable HD as master on that interface. But when it can't I don't know why it will find the second drive on the second interface ...

A nasty thought ... is the PCI interface trying to grab IRQ14 as well? If the two interfaces are colliding when the first drive is being looked for, that would explain why it only finds one. What does the BIOS display? What does it display when the CD is removed? (Or when the ISA card is removed?). Can the PCI card have its interrupt allocation changed?

When you get this sorted out, it's best to install the drive as the "fisrt" disk, and boot from a floppy or CD and go through the installation process, including format. Or to load Linux on it, it can be the second drive: just fdisk it, so it is "empty", and the Linux install script will detect it, format it and install on it.

cyberchuck
22-12-2002, 03:45 PM
Hey

Also, have you made sure that the Slave HDD is actually told (in the drives Jumper Settings) to be a slave and not a master, because otherwise you'd have a problem with two masters on the same IDE channel

CyberChuck

roofus
22-12-2002, 03:54 PM
also make sure that on the drives you do not have cable select as the jumper setting.

Most of my problems with harddrives come from inserting the cable the wrong way. Check to make sure they are in the right way.

Jen C
22-12-2002, 06:54 PM
Hi Nigel

I hope I am not insulting your IQ or anything, but just in case you are not sure about jumper settings, the master drive should have the jumper over the pins closest to the IDE cable/power plugs, and the slave should have no jumpers attached.

Jen C
22-12-2002, 06:57 PM
Opps - edit required to my post!

I meant jumper pins closest to the IDE cable only for the master - not closest to the power plug :8}

wuppo
22-12-2002, 07:45 PM
Can you detect the caviar by itself (no other device on that IDE cable)? Some of the earlyish drives (up to around 500MB - [perhaps the seagate]) were often not compatable with other brand drives on the same cable.

Has the caviar ever worked in this system? It could be the P90 has an old bios, compared to a 2.5G drive's age - there have been many instances of bioses, not working with certain drives.

Nigel Thomson
22-12-2002, 10:44 PM
Ok problem solved (sort of)

Well it now recognises both harddrives
I had to make the seagate master and the cavier slave, and change their positions on the cable (yes i know positions on the cable shouldn't make a difference but it did)
Thanks everyone for your help
:)
Nigel Thomson

Graham L
23-12-2002, 01:56 PM
Is it a CS cable? One conductor is cut off after the first disk connector. (Line 20 ... it's at the edge away from the red line). That would make it starnge. (and you should use the "CS" jumpering. (That's Cable Select).

Robin S_
23-12-2002, 04:08 PM
Did you check the master/slave jumper settings on both drives? I have seen Jen C's advice but would make the point that not all drives/models use the pattern she gave. The settings are often depicted on a sticky label an the drive but if not go to the manufacturer's website (or ring the local distributor) and check out the settings. Then check that master and slave settings in the BIOS are the right way round.