View Full Version : NO SOUND

olldaddy76
22-12-2002, 02:47 PM
System 98 SE
Have just installed Office 2000 Premier
also from windows update Internet Sound update
also C-Media Driver Version 5.12.01.036
also Sis Display Driver Version. 4.13.01.2060
Mainly because I was advised by computer Update that i needed to.
I have no vol icon on my task bar and have media Mixer icon instead...my Media icon does not work.
HOW TERMINAL IS THIS but there is more...my granddaughter from Wellington arrives in about 3 hours and she expects soun.....d
HELP...

cyberchuck
22-12-2002, 02:54 PM
Hey

Never ever trust Windows Updates with drivers - I learnt that after getting drivers for my modem from there... ended up formatting just to be able to connect to the internet. If Windows Update wants to update drivers tell it not to, and then go to the manufacterer's website and download them from there - garaunteed compatibility

I would do what i reccomended - go to the manufacterer of the soundcard (http://www.cmedia.com.tw/) and download the drivers for your soundcard from there - this should fix the problem. If not post back and someone will help

CyberChuck

oldaddy76
22-12-2002, 04:22 PM
Thanks for your help.....I went to the site and it told me that downloading their drivers would not necessarily help and that a person with more knowledge than I could reap disaster....and to be careful.
I am now after trying "google" but it has been no help either....but I still don't know what sound card I have.... I seem to have a collection of bus adapters serial ports and a miscellany of odd names as derived from Bellarc. It was an interesting piece of advice not to download Drivers with programs even if advised by window update.......probably a salutary lesson learnt......

cyberchuck
22-12-2002, 04:30 PM
Bugger huh??

Start > Settings > Control Panel and open the System Properties. Click on the Device Manager tab and make sure your viewing the devices by type, then click on the Sound, Video and Game Controllers and look in there for your sound card. If your not too sure what your looking for, post back with the entire listing for Sound, Video and Game Controllers and someone will figure out what your soundcard is and direct you to the drivers for them.

Still, a person with more knowledge then I could reap disaster... I agree to that - anyone can reap disaster with computers... It's just having the knowledge to fix them :D

CyberChuck

olldaddy76
22-12-2002, 05:22 PM
Under Sound Video and Games Controller I found
CM18738/C3DXPCI audio device and i presume this is the identity of my sound card ???
My Grandchild Jane has just arrived to supervise this FIX ???

cyberchuck
22-12-2002, 07:11 PM
Hey

Did your grandchild have any luck?? if not try this

I've also done some very painful searching (no - not really, took around 5mins to find) and came up with this link (http://www2.driverguide.com/cgi/download.cgi?uploads11/14025/Cm18738.zip) in which contains the setup files for your soundcard in a handy dandy zip file :D - it's 4.02MB though so it may take a while to download (10-15mins over a 56k connection)

Just been virus scanned by Norton AntiVirus 2002 and it came back with no bugs (which is a good sign if any). Just open the winzip file and doubleclick on setup.exe and that will launch the setup for you

If you have any problems installing it or downloading it let me know and I'll upload it to another webserver or try and help you with changing your drivers to these ones...

CyberChuck

olldaddy76
22-12-2002, 09:08 PM
I have SUCCESSFULLY downloaded the driver but am having trouble with installing it. I always have trouble with zip files mainly because of ignorance.....I have played around to no avail....help and much thanks for your help so far.
Our Grandchild is lovely but is of no help....

wotz
22-12-2002, 10:00 PM
Make a new folder on your desktop (right click, new folder)
If you right click on the file you downloaded there should be an option for winzip, then extract to (if not, double click the file and winzip will open).
Find the new folder you created in the middle of the screen and extract the zipped files to there.
There may be a setup.exe file to install things for you. If not, go to the devises in control panel and change them manually.

Hope the granddaughter finds some time for you during her visit.

olldaddy76
23-12-2002, 04:56 PM
Thanks to ALL who have helped me.....Slowly slowly catchee monkey.....
I now have the driver on the Desktop and are using Setup.exe to install.......However I am stopped when at the end of the install when I am confronted with "Please put disk labelled CM18738/C3DX PCI.".....I presume this is the driver as on the Desk top and if I put it on a Floppy and put it in A drive I will succeed....?????

wotz
23-12-2002, 05:37 PM
There should be an option to browse (change location, whatever they call it) from the floppy drive to the desktop

olldaddy76
23-12-2002, 11:04 PM
Sorry wotz & cyberchuck I know i am becoming a pain but i feel on the brink.....I have found that using the A: Drive for insertion does not work and I found in Browse the C:\Window\Desktop does not work either but i know i must be doing something wrong but WHAT IS IT?

wotz
23-12-2002, 11:39 PM
2 posts back you said you had the files on your desktop. Did you mean on the desktop or in a folder on the desktop? If in a folder, you need to go to that folder when it asks, not the desktop.

olldaddy76
24-12-2002, 01:34 AM
INSTALL now accomplished...many grateful thanks....NOW have sound back and will access tomorrow....there is no vol control on the task bar but I HAVE SOUND BACK..........

cyberchuck
24-12-2002, 07:44 AM
Hey

Congratulations on getting your soundcard back up and running, and thanks for keeping us informed of how it was going

CyberChuck

olldaddy76
24-12-2002, 04:16 PM
I thought his thread was finished BUT.........After playing ANY music in the Media Player for about 3 o 5 minutes whether it is
Classical
POP
Bird Song
The sound goes
Staticky pip pip pip pipy pip pip (no MUSIC )
The the computer freezes and after pressing
CTRL ALT DEL
It shows the Media Program
End task
which I do and back to beginning....this has happened three times in 8 hrs and I have never heard more that 3/5 minutes of any disk......
Is this result of my erroneus downloads and HELP again.........

olldaddy76
25-12-2002, 08:03 AM
Yesterday I realized that an extract I was reading from a COMPUTER www site saying that for the average non computer literate LIKE MANY OF US....namely
"COMPUTER"S BREAK DOWN 25% OF THE TIME" is true.
Remember my moan in the last thread that I had three instances of CD disks...going pip pip pip pippy pip over the day WELL NOW after REBOOTING all is well on TODAY ........CHRISTMAS DAY......I would say THIS IS THE END OF THE THREAD .
but HEY 25% of the time I COULD be wrong............"
Once again my THANKS to Press F1 and cyberchuck and wotz.....