PDA

View Full Version : My video card broke my games.

Adam_with_HP
22-12-2002, 02:38 PM
Or something similar. My video card (TNT2 M64 32meg) is a crusty $100 one, cos i'm not exactly rich, being 15 and all. Playing Unreal Tournament is fine, as is Black and White. Quake 2 and Red Alert 2, I have problems with. I enter the game and the screen goes black, with a blue box come up saying PC DIAGNOSIS CORRECT? or similar. Pressing Y or N does nothing. It goes away after about 5 seconds and the screen is still black. The ON light on the monitor starts to flash (not go idle, flash on/off), and the game definitely loads, because I can hear it. Quake 2 i can fix this by pressing escape, up, up, enter, left, escape. I know that makes it go into video options and switches it to software. I can't do that on Red Alert 2 however. Quake 2 runs fine on software, and on any resolution lower than 640 480 with the 3D card. I've looked through the card settings and can't find anything to fix this. Help! I have an AMD k-6 2 500mhz with 64 megs of ram (however set to 62 because I can't completely disable the onboard for some reason, I don't think the onboard is taking the job of the TNT2, because Unreal Tournament runs well, where as it didn't on the onboard). I don't know what to do... :(

tweak\'e
22-12-2002, 04:53 PM
what is UT running? openGL or directX ??

it kinda sounds like an openGL problem. what OS do you have? what driver are you useing at the moment? did you remove the driver for the old video card?

also double check how many Opengl32.dll you have in your system. try renaming any that are not in windows/system. (i hope thats right, memory is rusty today)

Adam_with_HP
22-12-2002, 05:17 PM
UT is running OpenGL, getting 25 fps instead of 12 now(what i had on directx) :) I'm running 98SE. Remove the driver for the old video card? The old SiS driver? No, I never did that...

Hmmm, how to check the .dll files...?

Adam_with_HP
22-12-2002, 05:23 PM
I'll upload a screenshot of what i've opengl files i've got...

http://anzmirchelp.tripod.com/openglfiles.jpg

now, what do you mean? :)

tweak\'e
22-12-2002, 07:38 PM
i'm surprised the opengl32 didn't show up for quake2.

i would get the latest nvidia drivers as the the 40.72 where a little buggy.
set the video card back to standard vga card then uninstall any drivers (if they have an uninstaller) then install new nvidia drivers.

might just be a Q2 config prob. i allways used to have to tweak the setting for my tnt. there is a prog called q2 gamma which is handy for tweaking the settings.