PDA

View Full Version : w2k eqivelant of msconfig start up option?

Clueless
22-12-2002, 01:49 PM
What is the windows2000 command to control all the rubbish that starts up automaticly?

I'm used to 98 where i run msconfig and hit the start up tab, and then untick all the rubbish. There must be a similar trick with W2000?

.Clueless

cyberchuck
22-12-2002, 01:55 PM
Hey

Have you tried using MSCONFIG from Start > Run in the Windows 2000 machine?? - as my friend who has it says that it works fine for him (either that or he's tinkered with his machine a bit more than I think)

Otherwise try RegCleaner (http://www.vtoy.fi/jv16/index.php) and click on the startup tab - that does exactly the same as MSCONFIG - requests the information from the registry and let's you sort it out

CyberChuck

Clueless
22-12-2002, 01:59 PM
Maybe i typed msconfig wrong.. but i'm sure it gave no responce.
I'll reply a bit later when i'm on the said 2000 machine.

.Clueless

Chilling_Silence
22-12-2002, 04:11 PM
No, MSConfig has never been there on any 2K machine that I've used.

I would suggest Super Rabbit Magic Set (http://www.superrsoft.com) and use the "Autorun" feature in the program.

Small download, but a very handy tool to have for clearing out startup items!

Merry Christmas

Chilling_Silence

cyberchuck
22-12-2002, 04:15 PM
That's strange and kinda stupid...
Having MSConfig with Win98 and ME but not putting it with XP

hmm... the joys of MS Products

CyberChuck

cyberchuck
22-12-2002, 04:16 PM
Whoops... That should've been "and not putting it with 2000"
Although - does anyone know if it's included with XP?

CyberChuck

Pacifier
22-12-2002, 04:37 PM
> Although - does anyone know if it's included with
> XP?
CyberChuck

It sure is included with XP, the same program but it has a few extra bits that make it a little easier to use

cyberchuck
22-12-2002, 04:43 PM
Thanks Pacifier..

CyberChuck now starts wondering about the logic behind Microsofts Engineers

Sorry I didn't solve your problem .Clueless

CyberChuck

Clueless
22-12-2002, 05:06 PM
so apart form d/loading an external programme, any ideas for getting rid of the misc rubbish plonked on this computer?

bloody m$ :D

.CLueless

cyberchuck
22-12-2002, 05:10 PM
Hey

Are you referring to removing unnecessary startup items or unnecessary stuff in general??

CyberChuck

Clueless
22-12-2002, 05:17 PM
i'm refering to uneeded programmes that start up when the computer does

.Clueless

cyberchuck
22-12-2002, 06:39 PM
Hey

Should've thought so... Maybe I should take over the name Clueless :p

Take a look under these in your registry
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\RunServices
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run

As this is where the majority of startup items are located... Just delete the entries you don't want :D

CyberChuck

Clueless
22-12-2002, 07:03 PM
OK... i'm on my way.

Thanks for that CC

.Clueless

Clueless
22-12-2002, 07:29 PM
Well been there, done the edit, and have a computer that seems a bit happier

It amases me what some people put on "work" computers. Example: Whats the point of having winamp on a computer with no speakers? Dont get me wrong, i like winamp, but it aint that clever!

.Clueless

agent
22-12-2002, 07:37 PM
Perhaps Microsoft decided to make msconfig a separate download for Windows 2000.

It sure as hell doesn't work on my 2K computer, yet it works on XP Professional. I'm deciding that Microsoft thought business users didn't need to play around with those settings (especially since some of the options in msconfig could seriously stuff up a computer that is fine tuned to run network applications, logons, etc.

cyberchuck
22-12-2002, 07:44 PM
You really think so?

If you look in the MSCONFIG and startup tab you [should] not find a single instance to disable logins - Microsofts not that stupid. However, in a business environment, wouldn't the network administrator just disable access to MSCONFIG to stop people stopping network applications?

As for why people would install audio proggie's on a PC with no speakers, maybe they were hoping to somehow manipulate the BIOS speaker into emitting a series of beeps which somewhat sound like the song they want to hear :p

CyberChuck

agent
22-12-2002, 07:55 PM
Did you realise there is more to MSCONFIG than the Startup tab?

Playing around under the Advanced button options on the General tab could cause some serious problems.

cyberchuck
22-12-2002, 07:59 PM
I'll agree to that. But it still doesn't answer the WHY part of the question - as to WHY was it excluded from Windows 2000. And also most average users aren't aware of MSConfig in the first place. Like I said, if a Network Administrator didn't want people to access it then why not create restrictions?

CyberChuck

cyberchuck
22-12-2002, 08:00 PM
Also, wasn't XP Prof. intended as a Business OS?? so why then is it included in there?

agent
22-12-2002, 08:08 PM
Look, no one here knows why it wasn't included. I think it's because of security risks, such as those Advanced options. Sometimes there are circumstances where an administrator doesn't want to make a certain group of people Power Users, but wants them to be able to run MSCONFIG. Administrators have to think about things like this.

As another point, not many users know about MSCONFIG anyway.

I think Microsoft put it back in XP because they realised many people liked it. Why they came to realise that could be for many reasons - one of them being MSDN members may have commented how it was a good tool.

I think my Windows 2000 computer has MSCONFIG on it. It might've been included in one of the Service Packs, or a separate download. I'd search on Microsoft's website (http://www.microsoft.com) to see about this, if you really want MSCONFIG back, or see if it works being copied off a computer that does have it - preferrable XP.

Clueless
22-12-2002, 09:39 PM
So is Xp like linux where anything that could mess things up requires root permission?
or is it just a silly M$ prog?

.Clueless

Bambi
22-12-2002, 11:05 PM
You can download Startup Control Panel which is pretty much the same as msconfig. I have this on my 2K machine and works very well. You can get it at http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml if you want it.