PDA

View Full Version : Whos Tom Clancy?

TiMę:*)
22-12-2002, 12:33 PM
Whos Tom Clancy? I see his name every where. I seen his name in games like ghost recon and splinter cell. I seen his name on tv like net force that was on tv a few weeks ago. I see his name even in books!! Who is Tom Clancy?

cyberchuck
22-12-2002, 12:45 PM
Hey

Tom Clancey is an Author who wrote the netforce series of books (pretty good ones too) along with a few other great books...
http://catalogue.akcity.govt.nz - Auckland City Libraries catalogue - take a look for him

Does this answer your question?

CyberChuck

DangerousDave
22-12-2002, 12:58 PM
Tom Clancy is a very good author of war/combat/political style books. My favourites would have the be Without Remorse and Rainbow 6, both quite big but well worth the read.

Tom Clancy started Red Storm Entertainment and had games made on his book Rainbow 6 which has gone onto become a very successful series. He also happens to be the richest author in the world i think.

I strongly reccomend his books even if they are quite grusome they open up your mind (especially for me Without Remorse)

- David

agent
22-12-2002, 12:58 PM
Clancy is one of the big authors of these days, like John Grisham or Wilbur Smith.

You might have also seen Tom Clancy's name on The Sum Of All Fears - turned into a movie this year, it was a book written by him.

He has many good books, and some of them even have plots such as WWIII beginning, a renegade plane flying into a Washington D.C. building and killing most of the senate, stuff like that.

Nigel Thomson
22-12-2002, 01:03 PM
Here is a link which will give your more info onthe man, his books and the games, very good books (much better than the movies)

http://users.cybercity.dk/~buu2619/bio.html

22-12-2002, 01:15 PM
OOOOH, Is he just a rich author. ooh and is John Grisham a actor in cs?
heheh, hes got a funny last name.

22-12-2002, 01:23 PM
OOOOH, Is he just a rich author. ooh and is John Grisham a actor in cs?
heheh, hes got a funny last name.

Adam_with_HP
22-12-2002, 02:31 PM
I'm reading the bear and the dragon by Tom Clancy at the moment. 1028 pages. For a first Clancy book I recomend(sp?) Rainbow Six. It will help you understand the game a lot more, and it is a very good read.

:)

Craigb
22-12-2002, 02:50 PM
The day I saw those 2 planes fly into the WTC, I thourght, someone saw this coming. If you read the whole series of his books from the first (11 of them from Hunt for the Red October to The Bear And the Dragon), they're all strung together in one way or another and tell how hero Jack Ryan made it to be president. He has a very clear view of the impact of the terrist threat and his books (esp Executive Orders) foretold how an attack could be launched on the US.

Craig.

Baldy
22-12-2002, 02:55 PM
Tim, have you ever heard of Google?

segfault
22-12-2002, 04:20 PM
I have. It really comes in handy when you are trying to find information. ;-)

http://www.google.co.nz (http://www.google.com)

Baldy
22-12-2002, 05:45 PM
yes segfault...... very handy for looking up all sorts of info. Especially over 240 hits about Tom Clancy LOL

Jen C
22-12-2002, 06:10 PM
I am also a Tom Clancy fan - I have most of his books.

Tim: If you want to read some of his work, you would probably like the Net Force series. That series is all about the Internet. Another spin-off series which is aimed at the "younger" readers is the "Net Force Explorers" - it is co-author by Tom Clancy and Steve Pieczenik. You can probably pick these up from your local library, they make good holiday reading.

wotz
22-12-2002, 08:25 PM
I started with Tom Clancy but moved on to Dale Brown and Patrick Robinson for the military thrillers. Clancy got to much into the political aspects.

dipstick01
22-12-2002, 08:57 PM
If you like Tom Clancy and Dale Brown then also try Eric L Harry and Larry Bond. Both are technothriller writers in a similair fashion and very enjoyable reads.

crozier
22-12-2002, 11:11 PM
>I'm reading the bear and the dragon by Tom Clancy at the moment. 1028 pages. For a first Clancy book I recomend(sp?) Rainbow Six. It will help you understand the game a lot more, and it is a very good read.

I'd agree. I've been reading the bear and the dragon for ages and it's pretty hard going. Rainbow 6 is a good start.

23-12-2002, 09:45 AM
> Tim, have you ever heard of Google?
>

Yeah, I've herd of google. I was just wondering who Tom Clancy was becasue I see his name every where, I didn't even know the he was a author. I think I'll read one of his books since you guys like his books so much.

nzStan
23-12-2002, 10:09 AM
Being an avid tac-ops FPS gamer myself, I highly recommend "Rainbow Six". It's one of his better book (biase opinion of course). I bought my $10 copy when I was stuck at the Wellington airport several years ago. Having read that book, it certainly gives Rogue Spear a new perspective when playing the game.

DangerousDave
23-12-2002, 11:43 AM
Try without remorse as well, although very violent (i.e. it explains wat happens to be ppl when they get shot etc etc) but it gives you a good background in the life of John Clark (head of R6). Based in Vietnam years it wakes you up to darkish side of society.

- David
p.s. try Chuck Palahniuk as well, totally unrelated but his books like Fight Club still rock!

nzStan
23-12-2002, 11:54 AM
Rainbow Six btw was based on a plot to spread a deadly virus at the Sydney Olympics. Written several years before the Sept 11, who would have thought its not such a far fetch idea today?

Also consider this, in Air Force One, Jack Ryan became the President when a hijacker crashed a jet airliner into Congress.

In Executive Order (I think??? or was it Executive Command?), terrorists were going to crash a jetliner into the States with a cargo load of virus.

Tom Clancy's novels are close to future events (makes you wonder if Osama read his novels?)

DangerousDave
23-12-2002, 06:40 PM
hi
I was thinking that this 911 thing and the post war/fighting WOULD have been a Tom Clancy book. It is exactly the same style. The politics, fighting, attacts. Its scary really.

- David

tango
24-12-2002, 03:13 PM
there have been 20 replys in this topic...more than the average topic in the forum. if Tim hadn't of asked it here, that wouldn't have happened. there are many ways to find out something on the net, Tim just chose this :)

24-12-2002, 04:52 PM
>there have been 20 replys in this topic...more than the average topic in >the forum. if Tim hadn't of asked it here, that wouldn't have happened. >there are many ways to find out something on the net, Tim just chose >this :)

I just come here because you guys are so resourcefull, and Tom Clancy just came into my mind when I was on the fourm:)

crozier
24-12-2002, 10:31 PM
>I was thinking that this 911 thing and the post war/fighting WOULD have been a Tom Clancy book. It is exactly the same style. The politics, fighting, attacts. Its scary really.

Perhaps it's a plot by Tom Clancy to get us to read his books?