PDA

View Full Version : Turn off a case fan

jeffreyyan
21-12-2002, 07:01 PM
My computer, currently Athlon 1.2 usually runs at about 50 degrees. I have a case fan at the back of the computer, but I want to quieten the thing a bit. Do you think it'd run ok if I turned off that case fan?

robsonde
21-12-2002, 07:49 PM
I would suggest that you turn off the case fan and keep a close eye on the temp for a few hours of hard running.

if the temp goes too high then put the fan back on :-)

NOTE: I take no reasonability for any damage :-)

wuppo
21-12-2002, 08:57 PM
It depends somewhat on what heat producing devices you have, other than the CPU (hi spec graphics etc). The CPU heat is extracted by the power supply fan (in a tower case arrangement). An additional case fan, can actually cause a CPU to run hotter (depending on the air inlet arrangement at the front of the case), as the fan can lower the internal air pressure, thereby lowering the flow through the power supply fan. You could see a CPU temperature drop (in some circumstances) by turning off the case fan! :|

godfather
21-12-2002, 09:21 PM
I run a controller (hardware) unit.
It monitors 4 temperatures and controls fans. My case fans seldom ever run now, much quieter, but $130 to achieve it.

Its no good on Graphics card fan, as it cycles too quickly and becomes annoying, but great on case fans.

tweak\'e
21-12-2002, 11:37 PM
i used to have a swicth on the front of the case so i could turn the case fan off at night for those overnight downloads. you could just switch it to run on 7volts. however a full on speed controll would be nice.

agent
22-12-2002, 12:35 AM
As far as I know, all my computers only have CPU fans (I've never bothered opening my PSUs, but I'll assume they have fans in them).
One computer never gets anywhere near remotely hot, as for the past two months I've had the case sides off. Another one, which actually has ASUS PC Probe running on it, recently started reporting it was overheating. This was because I'd set the motherboard temperature threshold to 40*C (perfectly fine in winter), but as it was getting warmer, I've put it up to 45*C, as it only over went up to 41*C.
In the past few days, I have had incidents where for one second the temperature rocket up from 38*C to 48*C and back down again, but reporting is never accurate and I've put it down to either that or power supply glitches.

roofus
22-12-2002, 08:19 AM
Well agent as a previous poster kinda touched on. If you have your pc open then there is no pressure difference, therefore harder to push the air through. Hence it would run hotter.

In reagards to the orgininal poster. YOu will not need your chassis fan running. Yes its probable that it may run a couple of degrees hotter. But if you havn't overclocked it then thats not going to concern you that much at all.

It will quieten things down a bit also. If you want quieter then you want to get multispeed fans that adjust to the temperature in the case.