PDA

View Full Version : Partition Magic.

John Boy
20-12-2002, 08:41 PM
I tried to change the partitions on my PC using Partition Magic. When it opened up with the box it came up with the message "Partition Token error 105" and would not proceed any further. In the c drive box it had BAD written inside it. It did not show the other two partitions. I run win 98 if this is any use. Previous to that another box had appeared with the message "detected error 116 in sector 4693248 and asked if I wanted to heal it . I clicked yes, then another box said "success". Any suggestions please.

Chilling_Silence
20-12-2002, 08:53 PM
I would be inclined to run Scandisk (Complete) on all HDD's and try it after that. Scandisk may heal a few things.

Terry Porritt
20-12-2002, 08:58 PM
Generally these sort of errors 105, 116 indicate the partition table is in error. If you have the PM manual, it describes them.
The resolution is to back up your data and anything you consider important, delete the partitions, recreate them, format, and re-install the OS.

wuppo
20-12-2002, 09:09 PM
From PM help:

#116 Partition table Begin and Start inconsistent
The hard-disk partition table contains two inconsistent descriptions of the
partition’s starting sector. This error can occur if the operating system reports a
hard-disk geometry that is different than the geometry in use when the partition
table was written. Possible causes include: (1) different operating systems report
different hard-disk geometries, (2) you boot from a diskette that loads a different
driver than is loaded when you boot from the hard disk, (3) upgrading the
operating system causes a different driver to be used, (4) the hard disk or
controller has been changed, (5) the BIOS has been upgraded, (6) the BIOS LBA
setting has been changed, or (7) there is a partition table virus present on the hard
disk.
In most instances, you should resolve the problem as explained in “Resolving
Partition Table Errors” on page 117. You can also use a virus scanning program
to remove any partition table virus. Data loss is possible if the number of heads or
sectors per track has changed since you first created your partitions.

#105 Partition starts on wrong boundary
The hard-disk partition table contains erroneous values. PartitionMagic expects
partitions to begin and end on the correct cylinder boundaries. If they do not, the
disk may be partially corrupted. In this circumstance, if PartitionMagic were to
make any modifications it might cause the loss of data. Therefore, PartitionMagic
refuses to recognize any of the hard disk’s partitions. To resolve this problem, see
the instructions in “Resolving Partition Table Errors” on page 117.

Resolving Partition Table Errors
Partition table errors are errors in the 100 - 199 range. In most cases, you must resolve
partition table errors by creating new, error-free partition tables. The general steps are: (1)
ensure you have no viruses (see below), (2) back up the data on the affected partitions, (3)
delete the partitions, (4) recreate them, and (5) restore their contents. You may need to use
the FDISK program from a recent DOS version, as earlier versions may refuse to delete
HPFS or hidden partitions, and the OS/2 FDISK program may recognize the partition’s
corruption and refuse to modify it.
In some cases, you can resolve partition table errors manually. Run PartitionInfo to
determine the errors on your partitions. PowerQuest technical support can help resolve
partition table errors if you e-mail the PartitionInfo report to help@powerquest.com.
Refer to “Generating Diagnostic Reports with PartitionInfo” on page 118 for additional
information about PartitionInfo.

Mzee
23-12-2002, 12:08 AM
It is possible to force partition magic to read the partitions by using the switch /ipe

pqmagic /ipe

This way you don't have to use Fdisk to reformat the drive.

John Boy
23-12-2002, 01:15 PM
I thank you for your replies. I took it into the serviceman that fixed my puter the last time and it appears that he had put the slave /master connections around the wrong way to the hard drive. Or something like that. After some twiddling in the BIOS and changing the cable around he was able to adjust the partition for me. It had also been stalling on boot-up as well. This should have fixed everything.

jobber
16-07-2007, 05:54 AM
It is possible to force partition magic to read the partitions by using the switch /ipe

pqmagic /ipe

This way you don't have to use Fdisk to reformat the drive.

OMG... I've read 50 pages of info for the last 2 days and I couldnt fix my bad partition. Then I found your simple command. Upon launching partition magic it immediately saw the partition as good again. I was then able to blow it away and rebuild it. Thanks!!!

Here is the command I ran in my run box:

"C:\Program Files\PartitionMagic 8.0\PMagic.exe" /ipe

Yours could be different depending on where you installed your program, mine is not default.

jkorn
08-11-2007, 11:33 AM
Boy am I stuck. I get error code 100 "Partition table is bad" when using Partition Magic.

I tried to repair the HD. No good. So I put in a NEW hd and then reinstalled the software off the Compaq recovery cd's and still have the error.

The computer works ok. The partition magic will not run.

Does anyone know how to fix this

Speedy Gonzales
08-11-2007, 11:46 AM
According to the Symantec site (http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/powerquest.nsf/6c360f88152ecfce88256e91005066ac/e6223d1630e8ad8388256e8d006a841e)

#100 Partition table is bad

The master boot record (MBR) can contain, at most, one extended partition, and each extended partition boot record (EPBR) can contain, at most, one link to another EPBR. This error occurs when a partition table violates the foregoing rule. It can also occur if you have more than one active partition. Since any modifications PartitionMagic makes may decrease the amount of data that is recoverable from the hard disk, PartitionMagic does not recognize any of the hard disk's partitions. If you must create new, error-free partition tables to resolve your problem, see Resolving partition table errors for instructions.

And it points to this (http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/powerquest.nsf/docid/2004050716430062?Open&docid=2004050712232662&nsf=powerquest.nsf&view=6c360f88152ecfce88256e91005066ac)

So the restore cd/s worked, and Windows is working now.

And you're trying to partition the hdd (within Windows)?

With Partitionmagic??

Is the new hdd the same as the old one?

jkorn
08-11-2007, 11:58 AM
yeah the computer works fine after installing the new HD and then doing a complete recovery. I just want to use PM to copy and move some partitions but it will just not load. still get the error. I just dont understand as this is a whole new HD and the other drives that have in at times are not attached