PDA

View Full Version : Startup Disk Won't Load

glenn
20-12-2002, 06:32 PM
Well, I finally got around to building my first pc. Let the headaches begin!

I turned it on and it seemed to work until......

I tried getting the Windows 98 startup disk to load. It won't.

Once I got as far as fdisk, but when it asked for a "Y" to confirm FAT32, my keyboard wouldn't work.

I booted again. This time it asked if I wanted to load with/without cd-rom support. However, the timer that counts down from 30 wasn't moving and my keyboard made no difference.

Sometimes the startup disk begins to load then hangs.

Okay. I made a new startup disk and swapped keyboards. Still same problem. I can't get to fdisk, or anywhere for that matter. I even broke open a sealed Microsoft Windows 98 startup disk I was saving for a special occassion. This too failed to fully load.

What pray tell is going on???? Bad FDD? Funky BIOS or jumper setting?

Thank you in advance for your help.

robsonde
20-12-2002, 06:45 PM
need more infomation!!!!

what CPU & RAM ??

where did the keyboard come from??

what motherboard??

any other errors??

are all the fans working??

glenn
20-12-2002, 07:02 PM
Duron 1.3Ghz
512MB PC133 SDRAM
Keyboard is new. Genius KB-10X PS/2
PCCHips 825
When I save the BIOS, the system doesn't reboot. I have to turn it off and restart it. Not sure if that's normal for this system.
All fans working.

Hope that helps.

wuppo
20-12-2002, 07:13 PM
PCChips mobos sometimes have problems with multiple memory sticks. Try removing all but one (if you have more than one), and set any memory timing to slowest.

glenn
20-12-2002, 07:24 PM
Only 1 stick on 512MB installed.

wuppo
20-12-2002, 07:41 PM
Try the "Load Optimal Settings" in bios. If the system then works OK, you can try manually speeding up settings to find the acceptable limits.

glenn
20-12-2002, 07:49 PM
Changed RAM freq. from "Auto" to "100Mhz"

didn't solve problem.

Tried loading "optimal settings."

didn't solve problem.

The longer I keep it off, the further I seem to get into fdisk. Could there be a temperature related problem?

Thanks for your input.

wuppo
20-12-2002, 08:02 PM
Could well be temperature related. What type of thermal coupling do you have between the cpu and heatsink?

If you monitor the cpu temp in the bios, what does it report (over time)? If you stay on that bios page for some time, does the comp lock up?

glenn
20-12-2002, 09:19 PM
There’s a jumper setting for “Keyboard Power On Selector” that I changed from enable to disable. I still had one hang during a floppy boot, but I’m currently installing 98SE. Keeping fingers crossed!