PDA

View Full Version : NAV being extraordinarily cooperative?

Billy T
19-12-2002, 10:13 PM
Hi Team

I normally receive notifications for NAV 2001 updates 2-3 times a week but a couple of few weeks ago I stopped receiving those notifications. However, checking the dates on my virus definitions tells me that NAV has been doing automatic updates.

I have not configured NAV to do this and I've checked the settings and they are still correct for NAV to notify me when updates are available as opposed to downloading and installing them automatically.

Trouble is, I don't entirely trust automatic operations for anything as important as AV definitions and I like to see them being installed.

Has this happened to anybody else lately?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

duckyduck
20-12-2002, 01:16 AM
Same here Billy, our one is ticked to advise but has ceased to do so but like you the dates and number of def's tally up. I have been contacted by two other people with the same problem.

I have since changed to manual updates and check every couple of days and usually once a week, sometimes more often the updates are there waiting to download and install.

Billy T
20-12-2002, 09:53 AM
Thanks Ducky

It's a relief to know that it is a wider issue than just my computer. Maybe I should post a question to Symantec.

One point, are you finding updates that haven't been downloaded? Whenever I do a manual check everything is up to date.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D

duckyduck
20-12-2002, 09:59 AM
Billy, when NAV was running in "auto" mode, I was still making some manual checks and they always came backwith nothing plus a check on the NAV website, the total number of def's there and my tally always matched.

I went to manual updates just for peace of mine in knowing that updates had been downloaded and installed.

If you do contact NAV post back here and let me know the results or email me directly.

Merry Christmas.

Graham L
20-12-2002, 04:09 PM
Maybe it's an extraordinarily well executed virus. :D

Billy T
20-12-2002, 05:56 PM
Written by a white hatted hacker?:|

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D