PDA

View Full Version : HP Restore CD's and a New HDD

cyberchuck
19-12-2002, 09:29 PM
Hey

I plan on upgrading the HDD in my good 'ol HP to a nice big one (haven't decided the size yet - it's dependant on my funds). I would like to know if the restore CD's that came with the HP will work on the new HDD or will I be stuck with a blank HDD until I get a newer OS (most likely XP)

Many Thanks

CyberChuck

godfather
19-12-2002, 09:34 PM
I have never had any problem restoring onto a new HDD.

If it has a CDR, its also a good idea to do a new set of restore CD's once you have it all bedded down and happy. That circumvents all limitations on restoring, even for new motherboards (which is the key looked for by HP I think). Most CDR drives have some sort of system to create the backup.

Steve Askew
19-12-2002, 10:23 PM
Make sure you have a boot disk so you can use fdisk to create partition(s) first on new disk as hp restore disks don't have FDISK function.
& you will probably have to format it first too.
cheers Steve

Jen C
19-12-2002, 10:57 PM
Hi CyberChuck

I have used my recovery disk to re-install my OS (WinME) onto a new HDD without any problems [did this only yesterday after installing a replacement HDD].

From my recent experience, it is much easier to use a product such as Nortons Ghost to simply clone the image from your old HDD to the new HDD, so that you will not have to reinstall all your programs and Microsoft updates. I unfortunately did not have this program available at the time my HDD bit the dust, but have since purchased it and will use it in future.

Cheers
Jen