PDA

View Full Version : More about 'Whats the point'

Bazza
18-12-2002, 06:26 PM
I guess we are all learning. Thats the point, and we are fortunate to learn here on Pressf1.

It's due to the many people who take the time to be helpful to others.

Those who have been here for some time will know that certain members have much experience & qualifications. Their advice can be relied on.

But it is noticeable that some others dive in, sometimes without reading the post correctly, and offer some well intentioned but incorrect or inapropriate advice that really is outside their knowledge or experience.

Makes it hard for newbies.

Clueless
18-12-2002, 06:46 PM
While i do think you have a valid Pont, i think you have to take the bad with the good, and after all, all advice is given at no charge..

I know exactly what you mean though, there have been one or 2 threads where the advice doesn't seem to relate to the question, let alone be relied upon (and i'm probably guilty as charged myself) However there are more threads where it seems there could be more done to describe the problem(s) in a way that ties down to meaning something. I think some sort of appreciative feedback, further down the track when the problem is either solved or given up on encourages better advice.

.Clueless

rugila
18-12-2002, 07:22 PM
Yeah. I sometimes feel the same way, about what's the point that is.
Couple of times recently problems with Excel functions been raised on this forum. I tried to help sort these out by writing a couple of simple Excel macros which are just extended functions and can do what prebuilt Excel functions have trouble with. I didn't mind doing this and it didn't take long, but no response at all. That is, no feedback. Were they tried and didn't work, did they work but no acknowledgement, did something else work instead? I don't know. Is it the culture of pressF1 that one shouldn't bother to do this sort of thing?
Another time recently when I commented on some inaccuracy in a post, even though the inaccuracy was acknowledged by the postor I came in for something very close to abuse. Now this isn't really very good.

Bazza
18-12-2002, 09:00 PM
Good comment Clueless.

1 - we have to take the good with the bad because it's no charge.
(well ok, but how does a newbie know the difference)

2 - some advice doesn't relate to the question.
(Very often, so read the question before advising)

3 - some questions dont describe problems adequately.
(True & as GF says, we dont have a crystal ball, so give details)

4 - lack of appreciative feedback, when problem is solved or not.
(As Clueless says, this will encourage better advice)

Thankyou Clueless.. I'd call you "Cluefull"

Cheers & regards to all.
Bazza.

Baldy
18-12-2002, 09:29 PM
Bazza,

I like to dive in, where others fear to tread. Thats my point

Bazza
18-12-2002, 09:37 PM
OK, Baldy.. fair enough,

But do you think that is being very helpfull to others on Pf1 ?

Baldy
18-12-2002, 09:52 PM
Who knows its Xmas

Why are you so perturbed about this Bazza........ I have found every ounce of help here of some value. Whether its good advise or not.

THE POINT IS, EVERYONE IS TRYING TO HELP IN THEIR OWN WAY. Yes, I'm yelling. Sometimes it works, sometimes it dosen't. Thats life. Or life as I know it anyway.

BALDY:-)

crozier
18-12-2002, 09:54 PM
Hey Bazza, are you the bazza I know in Khandallah?

Baldy
18-12-2002, 10:00 PM
Wasn't that where Cloie was from, or was it Wainuiomata

Bazza
18-12-2002, 10:42 PM
I am not perturbed Baldy, but I would not agree that " every ounce of advice has some value, good or not"

Surely you cannot be serious Baldy, that bad advice has some value.

?

Baldy
18-12-2002, 11:11 PM
The valus in the advise - whether its good or bad - is that the person who is giving the advise is trying to help someone else out.

We learn from bad advise as much as we do from good advise

Bazza
18-12-2002, 11:39 PM
Oh Dear Baldy..what a hangup you have..You say;

"The valus in the advise - whether its good or bad - is that the person who is giving the advise is trying to help someone else out.

We learn from bad advise as much as we do from good advise"

Oh no we don't, learn from bad advice as much as good advice.

In English, when you advise someone, you are giving advice, and so mostly when reponding to a post, you give advice, rather than advise.. OK got it ?

Heather P
18-12-2002, 11:40 PM
>every ounce of advice has some value, good or not

Don't forget, sometimes the bad advice sets off a train of thought in someone else that brings out the answer.

There have been some posts that are so obscurely worded that it sends people off on the wrong track to answer. It's not unknown to have 4 completely different answers based on each person's interpretation of the question

(and it would be quite nice if the person who posted the puzzle in the first place came back to say who guessed the question right)

Clueless
19-12-2002, 12:07 AM
I've given bad advice at times
I've got out of bed, checked my email, replied to posts here.. read what i wrote and cursed the fact one cant edit posts after posting...

Perhaps i should stop posting just in case i might get it wrong, but if i took that way of thinking, then nothing would ever happen. I've learnt lots through posting well meant advice that was infact wrong. I was corrected at the time, so often more is learnt for all that way for all.

What is being posted is the result of someone thinking about somebody elses problem, and offering what they would look at or do. It MAY work, but it may not, it won't make it worse, and it will help all to learn what they are doing.

.Clueless

nzStan
19-12-2002, 12:14 AM
My personal comment is this;

Replying to questions asked in this forum helps keep my mental faculty fine tuned. So while I don't receive any return in kinds, I do refresh my technical memory. The motto is, if you don't use it, you loose it.

If I'm driving to an appointment and I see someone in trouble by the motorway, will I stop??? Well unless he's weilding an axe or shotgun, chances are I will stop and offer my help. That, my friend is my civic duty.

Pollly
19-12-2002, 05:37 AM
> In English, when you advise someone, you are giving
> advice, and so mostly when reponding to a post, you
> give advice, rather than advise.. OK got it ?

For someone who seems bent on nitpicking about English grammar etc, why don't you check the spelling of respond? It's 'respond' not 'repond'...... OK got it?

sal
19-12-2002, 06:26 AM
hello polly :),

>>Originally posted by Bazza
>>But it is noticeable that some others dive in, sometimes without
>>reading the post correctly, and offer some well intentioned but
>>incorrect or inapropriate advice that really is outside their knowledge
>>or experience.

too right :D

grtz sal.
tga

sam m
19-12-2002, 07:36 AM
Lighten up guys.
Being no literary expert Polly I would have to say that 'repond' is not a spelling error rather than a typing error. It happens for many reasons, possibly when we are quick to get in what we want to say without checking or 2 finger typing or whatever, it just happens. A spelling error would be 'respound' or rispond'. In this forum and many others as well I would imagine both spelling and grammatical errors are made. No biggie. *example of poor grammatical structure*
I tend to Post on the side of caution, that is, I would rather post when I am 99% sure that my answer is accurate. That is how I am built, cautious and learn from my and others mistakes. Others here will just 'dive in'. Although at times there (there instead of their as this is the way I typed it first without thinking) responses may not be totally accurate but it is posted with best intentions and the way they are built means they are risk takers and probably don't mind being corrected by others (or sometimes themselves after reviewing their post) and that is how they learn.
Postings on forums can cause lots of heated debates (does anyone remember SIK - sonikalien's infamous round of postings not that long ago? From memory when I first read that I often thought whether it would have got so heated if all those that posted were in the same room talking about it rather than typing it.
I believe that "What's the point" of this forum is like minded people meeting together to discuss computer related topics. Some come here to learn and may never post (It took me 2 months of viewing this site before I decided to post), others come here purposely looking to resolve others problems. Some do it well, others try well. I read further up a comment if you don't like it leave. No biggie.

my 2 + 2 + 2 cents worth.

sam m

honeylaser
19-12-2002, 08:50 AM
Ah, looks like the thread has gone off on a tangent. In reference to people giving advice that is well meaning but not always correct (yes, I too am guilty of doing this), don't knock it, it's free! You could pay $2.99 a minute to call a pay helpdesk, or you could hire an engineer at $100 an hour to come and have a look, or you could spend 3 hours on hold to a vendor in Australia to try to get an answer, or you can hold out here and be grateful that so many experienced people (and some not so) spend a heck of a lot of time helping people for no reason other than that they enjoy doing it. If some of the advice ain't the greatest, get over it! People are learning here too (like me) and appreciate people giving us the opportunity to help with a problem.

Clueless
19-12-2002, 09:15 AM
sam m,

>2 finger typing

Cor!!!! Thats flash!

.Clueless

Chilling_Silence
19-12-2002, 09:38 AM
I agree... Think about it from this perspective, Imagine how much trouble, time and also $$ that youve saved countless n00b's and also experienced users too!

That in itself is my reward and the end of this thread for me :)

tones_malones
19-12-2002, 09:52 AM
Lookie see at all this trouble that agent has conjured up!!

jeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzz, two threads worth that reads to make the monitors proud!!

It is lovely for people to show what we all know...that Pressf1 is the best!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tones

Yes, this is my early enthusiasm!! Preeeeeeesssssssffffff11111111111111 is the beeeeeessssttttttttttt :P