PDA

View Full Version : MS Word97 - layout - mind of it's own

Woof
18-12-2002, 05:15 PM
I'm being driven 'spare' by the "know-it-all" attitude of Micro$oft Word 97

All I'm trying to do is 'throw in' a few quick lines on a new document to quickly record some instruction notes on a task or two that I shall be doing over the holiday period when one of our staff members is on holiday overseas

BUT Word seems to want to copy the previous line's layout when I have used the spacebar to indent that line and put a - followed by a space
AND it seems to invent its own slightly longer - in the process but NOT use that on succeeding lines

An then when I finish that line and <enter> to move down to a fresh new line it decides that no I don't want a new line starting from the far left of the page and that I should instead be indenting again

etc etc etc

No doubt I'm not the only one to experience this frustration - what's the easy way around this (besides WordPad or some NON Micro$oft product , PLEEEAASE

godfather
18-12-2002, 05:29 PM
Tools|Autocorrect Options

Change your preferences in "Auto Format as you Type"

(Hyphens with dash) etc.

Also Tools|Options

Under Edit, remove the tick from "Use Smart Paragraph selection"

The above is from Word XP, but I think it was similar under 97

Graham L
18-12-2002, 05:29 PM
I use a "Made in New Zealand" product for "a few quick lines". It's a Bic :D.

Then I lose the piece of paper. ;-) I don't need expensive softawre to do things like that.

Woof
19-12-2002, 11:32 AM
Thanks godfather - perfect advice, thanks - worked a treat

"Use Smart Paragraph Selection" was not available for me in Word 97 but under Tools/Options, Edit I did UNcheck " Tabs and backspace set left indent" and that may also be of benefit.

Compliments of the Season