PDA

View Full Version : what's the point?

agent
18-12-2002, 04:02 PM
As Baldy pointed out in I got americas army again.. (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=29122):
"People give unselfeshly of their time and expertise for nothing more than the satisfaction of trying to help others".

WHY?

True, I have found that this site is luring (curse the people who came up with the idea of a help-others-and-help-yourself forum), and many people waste away many hours simply refreshing the main page and posting replies and occaisonally new threads, but the why? I could understand if we were all being paid on comission to help people, but we're not. Sure, there are a few people who are paid to look after, occaisonally post, and maintain the site, but that's about all.

Apart from helping out people we hardly know on this forum, is it not just a waste of time (and for those of you who go here when they're supposed to be doing work, a waste of work/money/time)?

Chilling_Silence
18-12-2002, 04:10 PM
I believe the answer was also posted, that people simply do it for the satisfaction of helping out a total stranger, in the hope that somebody might show the same kindness.

Have you never heard the scripture:
Do unto others..
Basically it means, Expect people to be rude back to you if you're rude towards them, or hope that they might be kind back to you if you show them kindness.

Personally I've helped out probably hundreds of people, and received help from just as many.

Combined, the team here can usually solve just about any problem!

That is the point!

honeylaser
18-12-2002, 04:19 PM
I remember something Robo said in one of his articles about PressF1 - something about people wanting to show off how much they know and out-geek the geekiest of the geeks.

Me personally, I'm here to learn. Unfortunately I don't get the technical training I desire from my work at the moment, and I learn a whole lot more by reading someone issue and trying to work out a solution (even if it isn't alway correct!).

Oh, and winning prizes ain't a bad incentive to hang around :)

tones_malones
18-12-2002, 04:26 PM
why do you post agent?

I myself feel that i have learnt so much by posting and having my post answered to. This forum has greatly increased my productivity and increased knowledge base while creating a lovely feeling of community.
Sure, sometimes my posts come way out of left field occassionally, and my lack of articulate speech is hard to understand but i give...as Fitzy says "full credit" to all those people who (as the fabulous Baldy pointed out) "give their time and expertise for nothing more than the satisfaction of trying to help others". (sorry paraphrased :))

As for "wasting hours" refreshing the page, for some of us it passes the days, and if we can help others we feel better in ourselves for lending a hand plus the problem is fixed without the poster having to (in some cases) shell out the dollars to tech's to fix it.

This website is top notch and i'd recommend it to anyone who owns a computer!! (as its much for helpful than a micro$oft help file :P)

So give everyone a break, no one has forced you to post and it looks like you've created this thread to stirr up trouble...

Tones Malones

crozier
18-12-2002, 04:39 PM
agent, you're a mercenary little swine aren't you? To most people it feels good to help someone out. Try walking up to a stranger and just start talking, they'll move away pretty smartly. Start by asking something like "I wonder if you can help me?" and the stop and try there best to help. But society seems less and less inclined to help others these days. many young adults and teenagers appear so preoccupied with self that they have no time to help others. Very sad beings!

For years the IT industry has been like a club outside of the mainstream and everyone helped everyone else out, much more than in the mainstream of life. Geeks were often shunned so we huddled together on BBSs or the internet. People didn't know where we hid, they were happy just knowing we weren't with them. Then Windows 95 came out and brought the internet to the masses - non-geeks newbies! Our safe haven had been invaded by people who couldn't work anything out for themselves and ask the most stupid questions imaginable. But we help you anyway ;) :p

Some people do crosswords or other pointless things to keeps the mind working. I find it actually increases my productivity to answer curly questions. Often when I have a problem at work I spend a while on PressF1 then go back to work and find the solution immediately.

Chilling_Silence
18-12-2002, 04:43 PM
Surely you've all heard the saying by now:

A post on Pf1 a day keeps format.com at bay!

We all learn something. Its a labour of love....

vk_dre
18-12-2002, 04:43 PM
Look agent, just give it a rest, if u feel that ur wasting time here, then go. i don't meant to be to the point, but u r so adament that this is a waste of time, who knows, it probably is, but just because one of ur posts was never answered by anyone, don't get too ticked off about it. U have helped a lot of people here so just be proud of that at least.

> So give everyone a break, no one has forced you to
> post and it looks like you've created this thread to
> stirr up trouble...

My point exactly!:D

Susan B
18-12-2002, 10:08 PM
Geez agent, you got a lot of learning to do in life yet.

I like my computers, I like fiddling with them and I love the contact that it gives me with people from all over NZ and around the world, people that I would never have come to know otherwise. A lot of those people have been met on this forum and to have contact with people with similar interests means a lot to me.

My personal circumstances would bore you to tears but I have my reasons for "wasting away many hours" on this forum. The main reason I spend time here is because I've been given a great deal of help and advice when I got stuck and to reciprocate I help out when I can. It's addictive and I get pleasure from it. This isn't the only forum I frequent although it is the main one and the laughs and entertainment here is one of the big drawcards.

Call me sad if you wish but I'll do what I want with my spare time and I'll stay until I've had enough. No one said you had to do the same. :-)

Does that answer your question "WHY"?

prue
18-12-2002, 10:19 PM
I have learnt lots from Press F1 and am very greatful to all those who have given me advice-- only trouble is by the time I have copied out directions and followed them-laboriously as my eyesiht is not the best - then found that it worked--? hopefully in fact often - its a bit late to go back and find the letter that helped me. I was shown how to make my modem work better by slowing it down--successfully. i have bought Windows XP for dummies-- after reading someones recommendation-- and the list goes on. Whats the point? Sharing is something we try to bring our kids up to do so surely sharing information is an adult extension of the same idea.
Thank you all for your help and suggestions-and if a bit of humour creeps in I appreciate that too. Prue

exLL
18-12-2002, 10:26 PM
When you read all the grateful replies from satisfied readers it speaks for itself.

I thoroughly enjoy Press f1, have received a lot of help and am learning more all the time.

BTW Susan, I see that your posting count is close to the big 2k mark.

Congratulations in advance and many thanks once again for all the help you have given me.

Cheers. :) :) :)

Baldy
18-12-2002, 10:35 PM
Yes I have just realised you are about to hit the 2000 as well Susan.

Congratulations, and does this mean we will have to call you the Godmother?

BALDY:-)

Baldy
18-12-2002, 10:39 PM
Something I would like to add also Agent, is, I learn about computers by reading peoples problems with them, and what the fix is..... I find all the posts interesting - even if they are about things I do not neccessarily have installed on my computer.

BALDY:-)

johnboy
18-12-2002, 11:15 PM
I,m a newbie the computer i,m on is the 2nd 1 ive owned in my life and i love it come ing to press f1 has taught me heaps when i brought this i got a copy of imag thats how i found f1 .. i,ve learnt more just surfing this site than going anywhere else...
thanks to godfather/ tweake/ susan b / babe ruth go man \ cluless and whoever has help ed me along the way merlin the man thanks ,, it does matter go for it ... the point is you care

merry xmas and a happy new year

dipstick01
19-12-2002, 07:12 AM
The point is very simple.

Myself and others have learnt a lot from coming here and reading the posts and asking for help and in turn we do the same thing for others.

Its also a basic human instinct and an ego boost to be in a position to help others. Anyone here who has had a thank you reply after posting some advice will know exactly the feeling I am talking about. In fact anyone here who has helped somebody in life will know the feeling.

Yes sure sometimes the advice is wrong but I believe most people here are capable of reading posts and gathering what the general consensus is in regards to the solution.

cyberchuck
19-12-2002, 07:33 AM
Crozier, although you have some valid points, with all due respect I would like to voice my opinion on some

> But society seems less and less inclined to help others these days. many young adults and teenagers appear so preoccupied with self that they have no time to help others. Very sad beings!
I've been logged onto PF1 for a good while thivs last week helping others with as much as I can, and although I realise that I cannot speak for the entire teenage population, I still find time to help other people (mainly family) with their problems, no matter how busy my schedule is.

> Some people do crosswords or other pointless things to keeps the mind working. I find it actually increases my productivity to answer curly questions. Often when I have a problem at work I spend a while on PressF1 then go back to work and find the solution immediately.
That, and also everyone has a different way of doing things. By answering threads on PF1 people like GodFather have shown me different ways of doing things... And to fully read the question. My daily routine involves answering threads on PF1.

CyberChuck

Susan B
19-12-2002, 07:34 AM
Hey agent, do you mind if I get a little "fix" before I go off to work for the day? My usual breakfast companions have still got their lazy bods in bed and it's boring eating my kornies by myself. :D

My dear Mum and Dad are fond of telling me that "what goes around comes around" and that is so true. In life you will only get back what you put into it and the rewards obtained from helping out here are quite high on the satisfaction scale.
goes off to think of more reasons to get agent addicted to PF1 in order to share
his amazing computer knowledge

robo
19-12-2002, 08:20 AM
Wow, is this the pre-Christmas "take a look at your life and re-evaluate it" thing?

Honeylaser makes some good points. As do others.

Sure, you can spend lots of time here, but you don't end up spending money like you do on e-bay or trademe.

Yes, you help people. That feels good for both the helper and the helpee. Sometimes you help, other times you get help. It's a bit like WinMX, if there weren't people that gave more than they took it wouldn't work.

I think that as a rule, F1 has a good culture and flavour, and generally is visited by nice people.

Those that post obscure questions with insufficient information that whinge about them not being solved instantly just don't get it. I have seen considerably better service on F1 that you get from companies that are paid under support contracts. On a value for money basis, F1 is the king for those that get help. Winning prizes for helping doesn't hurt.

Nobody is making you hang around, agent. I suggest you keep activity to a level that suits. It's up to you.

Sometimes I just don't get a chance to post, or the questions are answered so quick that I don't need to post anything.

robo.

robo
19-12-2002, 08:23 AM
Well said, SB.

kiwibeat
19-12-2002, 08:49 AM
The point is that you can help out others and that is never a bad thing also youi can learn from others mistakes and i have learnt a lot from not just this forum but many others.
Open forums are a source of knowledge that are important in any society,
though I may never meet anyone here in person that doesnt mean that we cannot be of help to each other and my life is enriched and better for being connected to others.

Lohsing
19-12-2002, 09:15 AM
Geez guys... turn your back for half a second, and a thread spawns with 20+ replies...

Anyway, I guess the fun in answering has been covered by many others before me... the willingness to help, the wanting to show off your knowledge of a topic.... but for me, it boils down to the number of hours and exasparation you can save someone, if you know the answer to a simple question.

How many of us have spent literally HOURS stuck in front of the PC trying to suss out a problem... me, I remember (not so fondly) times when I had to reinstall the PC from scratch as a result of "registry errors" and kept blue-screening 99% of the way through the install... End result - faulty stick of 512 mb DDR333.

Now, I would suggest to others suffering similar problems, removing the stick of ram and seeing its effect. This saves a tremendous amount of time, energy and sleep... No need for others to go through the same problem!

PF1 is a meet and greet site which has grown into a community and a part of my everyday life. I learn from others and hope to contribute something worthwhile in order to advance other peoples' knowledge in computing, etc.

@ Rugila - I noticed your post in the other topic was ignored (re: macros for excel, etc) ... well, the first time you popped up on this board, your request was somewhat strange (excel related again) and when I attempted to help, I was basically shot down by yourself.

Do ppl really use macros in everyday life to an extent where it is necessary to post for others to try, etc? Anyway, not trying to rain on your parade, but just suggesting that you didn't get a response, because no one needed that level of expertise??

Anyway... anyone know where Sonikalien is nowadays?? COME BACK!!! All is forgiven!! ;)

Lo.

Clueless
19-12-2002, 09:56 AM
agent,

>"People give unselfeshly of their time and expertise for nothing more than the satisfaction of trying to help others".

>WHY?

>>Apart from helping out people we hardly know on this forum,

Seems you answered your own question, even though you seem to have missed your own point

.Clueless

Clueless
19-12-2002, 10:09 AM
BTW, apart from having moments when i'm actually a nice guy (don't tell too many people) there is a very good selfish motive for helping on this forum.

I have learnt a wealth of information by figuring out other peoples problems where i kinda knew what the answer was, but had to go and check/work it out in order to explain it clearly to the person who is stuck.
Often this involves going through the settings and typing out a description step by step. Aparently if this is done with motivation, even i, who has a brain like a sieve, will gain from it.

I've also learnt heaps with the kind help of others when i haven't had a clue. In case you didn't know "Clueless" was a name i adopted when i decided to learn Linux. I threw myself in at the deep end, and realized how little i know.. I've still got heaps to learn, but at least i have some idea, in fact i've even passed some of my learning on to others!

.Clueless

agent
19-12-2002, 04:20 PM
Well considering we're now up to "what goes aroud comes around" (not that I'm really in any position to ask) :

Anyone want to comment on what they would want out of a website designed by students for students?

crozier
19-12-2002, 04:34 PM
>Anyone want to comment on what they would want out of a website designed by students for students?

Now I wonder where would be a good place to ask such a question

.... I know
...... somewhere where there are a lot of students.
.........now, I wonder where that clould be
.......... erm
............ I know
............... Nah can't be bothered helping you, agent, 'cos you're a pain in the but - I only wanna help people who appreciate it.

MERRY CHISTMAS

agent
19-12-2002, 04:46 PM
Thank you for your help.
Please call again soon.

robo
19-12-2002, 04:53 PM
I am a little old to answer this question, but I have a couple of humble suggestions speaking from the days when hormones screamed through my body:

- where is the booze cheapest?
- where do the girls hang out?
- where is there free food?

That sort of thing.

cyberchuck
19-12-2002, 04:59 PM
Crozier:
With all due respect (once more) I feel that your been a bit too harsh on agent.

People do have a tendancy to change - eg attitudes, beliefs, etc. Maybe Agent has changed his? - People have a right to a second chance - Tim's had his so maybe it's agents turn?

>"If you ain't got anything nice to say, don't say anything at all, OK?" - this was quoted from Susan by you in Tim's Armerica's Army thread

It's coming up to Christmas, and the last thing any of us want or need to hear people giving eachother flak over the forum. I aware I am not the worlds best person to say something like this, as I myself have done this (well atleast been told off by some users for what I have posted) maybe we should all try and be a bit more courteous?

Agent
Maybe you should try emailing students to find out what they want or start a new thread instead? Also have a look at some schools websites and see what they offer the students.

Although past exam papers and curriculum resources would be nice - maybe you should email schools (when they've started again) and ask them to send you copies of any past exam papers they have. You could even try getting teachers to submit any papers/notes/etc that they make for class usage to your website

Merry Christmas

CyberChuck

agent
19-12-2002, 05:19 PM
Nice try CyberChuck... making it seem as if you're totally uninvolved with the website, and posting ideas you've already done...

Anyway, robo, thanks for the suggestions... though considering just about all students that the site will be aimed at will be under 18 years old, that might be considered illegal. Where the girls hang out... hopefully there will be some girls who frequent the site... maybe I'll just have to blackmail my sister. And where there's free food... this would probably involve me constantly being online, updating the site, so people knew where the roving radio station cars were giving out free food... or they could just listen to the radio.

However, I understand why you wanted to know all those things, and why many students still do. So I might just have to think about ideas like those.

andy
19-12-2002, 05:32 PM
Agent, I think you posed a great discussion point here - well stirred sir!

Some people dig their gardens and grow flowers. Everywhere in this country, blokes run round a paddock in the mud, fighting over an out-of-round ball that they just want to kick as far away as they can get it anyway. Rich guys sail boats around chasing each other between a few flags. People run across the south island. A few have climbed to the top of the world. Lots play with their cars or in their sheds. Why. What's the point?
The point is, this is the way we enjoy killing the time time we've got while we wait to die. It's called a hobby! It keeps our brains active and our bodies inactive (except for our fingers), and stops us annoying the crap out of our spouse or parents. Along the way, we "meet" some wonderful people and some who are not, but that's life. Merry Christmas.
Regards,
Andy

rugila
19-12-2002, 05:51 PM
Lohsing: Thanks for your feedback. I think I indicated that I appreciated your answer, but I also noted that it didn't resolve the formatting question I raised (since you implied it was possible to use standard excel formatting with negative decimal places). What other feedback could I have given? What else would you have liked me to do? Wasn't the information that you couldn't do this of use and interest to you?

crozier
19-12-2002, 10:24 PM
Cyber Chuck > I feel that your been a bit too harsh on agent.

Agent >>Nice try CyberChuck... making it seem as if you're totally uninvolved with the website, and posting ideas you've already done...

Thanks for your comments cyberchuck. And well done for trying to stick up for someone who abused you. You both seem to be about the same age (same school), but there a world of difference between the two of you. Perhaps I have been a bit immature, but agent winds me up the wrong way - as he has twith a lot of other people here. He doesn't have the right to help from anyone here, everyone who signs up on this site gets treated the same way until the abuse that right - agent's done that. He just doesn't get it, he even tried to belittle people for helping others. I've met people like him all my life, they pop up from time to time, then scurry back down to their sewer never quite working out what they've don wrong. When he starts acting like a grown-up and showing a bit of respect for other then I'll treat him with courtesy - until then I'll extend to him the same courtesy that he extends to others.

If you re-read my post you'll see the there was actually some advice in it for him. - so you see even when I'm annoyed with someone I find it difficult not to help in some way.

Have a great Christmas Chuck

agent
20-12-2002, 12:33 AM
Had I ever wished to bring out my small vocabulary of rather nasty words against you, crozier, I would have.

However, all you are doing here is provoking more trouble. You said earlier that I am a "mercenary little swine". Considering I am not being paid to post here, I cannot be counted as a mercenary. A swine, possibly, it depends on whether you actually know me or not. Now why say geeks where often shunned? True as it is, why did they not step up for themselves? Perhaps they felt pressured by society to stay amongst themselves. I call myself a techie, not a geek or a nerd. Terms have stuck, and have developed a characteristic geek among peoples minds, but why bother keeping this? As we move into a world more dominated by technology, you simply can't ignore those of us who are 'technologically gifted'. I'm sure there may be some "bastard operators from hell" out there (this site (http://www.iinet.net.au/~bofh/) contains further information on this), but even they might find a way to be nice to people, as I'm sure crozier is wishing I am.

Needless to say, someone (no doubt it will be crozier) is going to say that I'm provoking trouble myself by making this thread. Had I said the real reason why I posted this thread, I don't think you would be making more scathing remarks towards me. I posted this thread after my mum raised the point to me about why I spend time on this forum helping others, not in some interest to stir up more trouble.

I think it would be fair to say that in this forum, there is an "inner circle" of people, similar to bouncers, that enjoy picking on the "bad" people here. True, everyone here can be nice, but at times, when you don't even know someone, you can be really nasty.

Yes, Clueless, I inadvertently answered my own question. Accident? Yes. Will it happen again? I'll try harder not to let it :D. But "why?" is one of the most annoying questions (perhaps why crozier is getting all worked up), and it also happens to be a question I like asking, as I have an inquisitive mind. No doubt it is this mind that will someday lead me into something I did not wish for, but hey, it's human nature to be questioning.

Crozier, while no, PressF1 is not the best of places to ask what students want out of a website designed for them, there are in fact students who visit this site, and you, just like everyone else here, has either been a student or is a student. As CyberChuck, who is indeed my friend, said, "the last thing any of us want or need to hear people giving eachother flak". It seems that all you want to do is continue this flak, as you certainly have not stopped being negative towards everything I say.

True, as Andy said, I stirred the PressF1 community more so in this thread. I have no apologies to make. I certainly see no need for them, and furthermore, creating debacle is something useful when you are going to be writing columns that require feedback from people.

And back onto Crozier:
"well done for trying to stick up for someone who abused you". No friendship is perfect, and you cannot expect it to be. To be frank, CyberChuck can be extremely annoying, and generally at least once a week angers me either through things he says, implies, or acts out. Nevertheless, this kind of behaviour is acceptable to certain levels (yes, he has gone past those sometimes, and admittedly, so have I).
"there a world of difference between the two of you". Really? I would assume this is only so if the world is extremely small. We are in the same class in school, have reasonably common interests, and work on long, tedious projects such as the afore-mentioned website.
"Perhaps I have been a bit immature". True, we all have in the past week.
"he even tried to belittle people for helping others". Please tell me where I did this, as I have no recollection of doing this.
"I've met people like him all my life, they pop up from time to time, then scurry back down to their sewer never quite working out what they've done wrong". So you are now comparing me to a rat? I am not wondering what I've done wrong, as I know what I have done. You think that I am an underdog in society who will never fit in? You are wrong.

I am sorry if this post seems too long to read for some people and not in order, but I felt like expressing myself, and so I decided to do so.

cyberchuck
20-12-2002, 06:51 AM
Hey

Crozier - I apologize once more. I should've been more thorough in reading your post.

Crozier + Agent
Please, would you too please just leave eachother alone? It's nearly christmas and you two have both posted in two different threads your "little debates". Although both of you raise extrememly good points in your posts about eachother It's Nearly Christmas and really, as Christmas is a time of good will and peace on earth, etc, I find it extremely fustrating to hear/see/etc both of you act worse than me and my sister. So how about we end this charade now, and from now on if you don't have anything nice/useful/etc to say to eachother just hold the peace okay???

Once more I realise I am really not the worlds best person to bring this up, but could we just all be nice?

CyberChuck

agent
20-12-2002, 08:19 AM
And you think I'm being scathing towards crozier? If you want me to be, I will. It's him that is holding up the flak.

Lohsing
20-12-2002, 09:11 AM
Geez... would you drop it already?? Live and let live...

Lo.

crozier
20-12-2002, 09:46 AM
>Considering I am not being paid to post here, I cannot be counted as a mercenary

You opening psot in this thread said "I could understand if we were all being paid on comission to help people, but we're not. Sure, there are a few people who are paid to look after, occaisonally post, and maintain the site, but that's about all."

>A swine, possibly, it depends on whether you actually know me or not.

What I wanted to call you was far stronger that that. But because I'm often the first to shoot others down for bad language I decided to tone it down a tad ;)

>Now why say geeks where often shunned? True as it is, why did they not step up for themselves? Perhaps they felt pressured by society to stay amongst themselves.

That wasn't aimed at you but at the rest of us who would consider it an honour to be called a geek. Read the whole paragraph and perhaps you may understand when you've grown up. ;)

>I'm sure there may be some "bastard operators from hell"

As this is a family forum I take great exception to that type of language. Keep it in the gutter where it belongs! While I appreciate it's a direct quote it's still offensive to some of us!

>Needless to say, someone (no doubt it will be crozier) is going to say that I'm provoking trouble myself by making this thread.

Try not to project what other people are thinking or may say in the future.

>Had I said the real reason why I posted this thread, I don't think you would be making more scathing remarks towards me. I posted this thread after my mum raised the point to me about why I spend time on this forum helping others, not in some interest to stir up more trouble.

So, we get the crap because your mum shower concern about the amount on time you spend on the net? It's not the point you raised that irked some of us - it was the manner in which you did it.

>I think it would be fair to say that in this forum, there is an "inner circle" of people, similar to bouncers, that enjoy picking on the "bad" people here.

I don't believe that is so. I know that I don't 'pick on' anyone here. But when I read something that I disagree with or that annoys me I'll comment. If someone is acting like a prat I'll tell them. Lots of people don't, which is perhaps why you are the way you are.... you get away with it elsewhere too often.

>(perhaps why crozier is getting all worked up)

Wrong!

>It seems that all you want to do is continue this flak, as you certainly have not stopped being negative towards everything I say.

Certainly not everything. A lot of the rubbish I've read I've simply ignored. Think carefully before aome of your posts and I'm sure the flak will lessen.

>"well done for trying to stick up for someone who abused you". No friendship is perfect, and you cannot expect it to be. To be frank, CyberChuck can be extremely annoying, and generally at least once a week angers me either through things he says, implies, or acts out. Nevertheless, this kind of behaviour is acceptable to certain levels (yes, he has gone past those sometimes, and admittedly, so have I).
"there a world of difference between the two of you". Really? I would assume this is only so if the world is extremely small. We are in the same class in school, have reasonably common interests, and work on long, tedious projects such as the afore-mentioned website.

Cyberchuck, from what I've seen, tries to act in an adult manner on this site. he treats others as he expects others to treat him, as do most of us. I don't care how he acts at school, that's a different life entirely.

>"he even tried to belittle people for helping others"

"Nice try CyberChuck... making it seem as if you're totally uninvolved with the website, and posting ideas you've already done..."

&

"cyberchuck, grow up. You seem to enjoy acting like a wise old man in these forums, whereas in reality you are a real pain-in-the-ass." http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=29122&message

Need I say more?

>"I've met people like him all my life, they pop up from time to time, then scurry back down to their sewer never quite working out what they've done wrong". So you are now comparing me to a rat? I am not wondering what I've done wrong, as I know what I have done. You think that I am an underdog in society who will never fit in?

Once again you're projecting. Rat? Underdog in society? They're your words, not mine! But I agree, I don't think you'll fit in with your current attitude.

Agent, all I ask is that you act in an adult manner in this site. You have a lot of growing up to do. Sure we all have the right to act a bit childish at times - but you abuse that right. It's not personal, my rantings will only continue when I have something to rant about. I would like to wish you a Blessed Christmas, and I hope that Christmas is all that you want it to be. (BTW I've already wished you a merry Christmas on this site, along with a beat and Tim)

rugila
20-12-2002, 09:55 AM
What a bunch of irrelevancies. Give it a break. This forum is designed to help with computer problems, not with personal counselling. There's better avenues for that.

Clueless
20-12-2002, 12:06 PM
agent
You can rub people up the wrong way ( i of course never do *angel icon*) So be it, but do expect others to speak out from time to time.

crozier
Drop it will you! Tis one thing to voice a complaint, tis another to lecture in public. Infact its getting much more irritating than whatever you didn't like.
The diversity of input in this forum is part of its attraction. You dont have to like it, but sometimes it is nessessary to except people for what they are.

BTW, i have been enjoying bastard operaters, it was welcome releaf from this silly squabbling.

.Clueless

crozier
20-12-2002, 12:15 PM
I wish to extend my unreserved apologies to any and everyone I may have inadvertantly upset during these posts - I got annoyed and was letting off steam.

However, I won't stop pulling people up for bad language! I was under the inpression that it was unwelcome here!

Lohsing
20-12-2002, 12:21 PM
Yeah fair call Crozier...

Agent - You are a troll... successful one from the replies, but a troll nonetheless...

Stirring does nothing but to draw attention to the fact yourself and given that ppl are beginning to associate you as being less than friendly, drawing attention would surely be the last thing on your mind?

Little bit of advice... PressF1 is more than a forum. It's a community. I don't think trolling is more welcome by any members here than spamming is. :|

Lo.

vk_dre
20-12-2002, 03:56 PM
This charade has turned out to be most interesting.:D

Clueless
20-12-2002, 04:07 PM
>I was under the inpression that it was unwelcome here!

well i think it depends on context.

Certainly it is unwelcome as a direct insult... telling people to (use imagination) is a definate no-no.

I do however think that the bastard operaters link is exceptible, as it is the sort of link many here are likely to get a laugh from, and to call it anything else would be like having a link to disneyland pointing at a porn site. Of course this is entering the grey area of opinion, as i don't think there has ever been a policy set as such.

Most bad language is covered by the simple policy of "keep it friendly", which of course excludes direct personal abuse, but does not exclude refering to a site by its name. Anything too rude will be dealt with by the filters, (apart from, dare i say it "microsoft" *thats a CF1 joke)

So lets all try to "keep it friendly", and have a good summer solstace, or whatever it is we might celebrate this year.

.Clueless

crozier
20-12-2002, 09:56 PM
>You are a troll...

erm.... I've been wondering all afternoon, what's a troll? In this contect, that is

Lohsing
20-12-2002, 10:02 PM
Well, a troll faq (believe it or not...) is available here... (http://groups.google.com/groups?q=troll+faq&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=357f029c.7593317%40news.rlrnews.com&rnum=5)

Quite a funny read actually! ;)

Lo.

sal
20-12-2002, 11:14 PM
oooh, that troll column hits the nail right on the head with this thread (and a few other threads here come to mind too)
the only partaking of this thread that i will take is my vote towards the fact that this is a troll thread, avoid at all costs!

grtz sal.
tga

Baldy
20-12-2002, 11:22 PM
Thanks for that link Lo, and Crozier for asking.

I was wondering what a Troll was myself. Now I know LOL

crozier
20-12-2002, 11:24 PM
Thanks for the info Lo. I'm truly amazed that there is actually a name for such people (apart from Dickheads, of course). What a sad lot they must be :(

Clueless
20-12-2002, 11:52 PM
quote from the said link:

>After the recent spate of clueless stuff we've seen,

hmmm, should i object to that?

.Clueless

agent
21-12-2002, 01:13 AM
It appears from the Troll FAQ that the term "troll" is not the name for a person, but in fact the name for "a provocative posting to a
newsgroup intended to produce a large volume of frivolous responses".

Though this "troll" of a thread seems to have succeeded according to the Troll FAQ, this was pure accident. I must admit though, it does sound very interesting to create the perfect troll... my my, what fun I would have if I made it.

crozier
21-12-2002, 08:57 AM
>After the recent spate of clueless stuff we've seen,

hehe, yes I saw that too. But I was to polite to point it our to you. I was sure that you'd find it soon enough.

It's the first day of the holidays and I'm not chilled out yet :( I think I'll spend the morning on the computer like I do at work ;)

Baldy
21-12-2002, 10:16 AM
> >After the recent spate of clueless stuff we've
> seen,
>
> hehe, yes I saw that too. But I was to polite to
> point it our to you. I was sure that you'd find it
> soon enough.
>
> It's the first day of the holidays and I'm not
> chilled out yet :( I think I'll spend the morning on
> the computer like I do at work ;)

You got one of those jobs too Crozier?

You could always chill out by mowing the lawns LOL

Chilling_Silence
21-12-2002, 10:22 AM
> It's the first day of the holidays and I'm not
> chilled out yet :(

Pun intended?!

tones_malones
21-12-2002, 11:49 AM
altho i don't agree with your comments entirely agent i'm not the type to hold a grudge...about your student website...check out http://www.studentz.co.nz that is a damn fine website, aimed at university students, but i found it usefull last year being seventh form. Perhaps you could use that as a guide, they seem to do fairly well too :)
Last year my school designed a website dedicated to sports, it had all the draws, some photos, vids etc. It was really handy as the sport auckland site was a right twat to use. Each team had a page with all the relevant info.

Are you meanin uni or college students?

Tones

crozier
21-12-2002, 11:51 AM
>You could always chill out by mowing the lawns LOL

What? You been speaking to my wife Baldy? I was going to spend the day outside but then I realised that affected playing Americas Army - so I logically thought that it would affect most other things on the PC

crozier
21-12-2002, 12:00 PM
>and Crozier for asking.

Thanks Baldy, I just had to know - I couldn't sleep a winks at work yesterday afternoon!

Lohsing
21-12-2002, 12:27 PM
Well, while the term "troll" refers more to the style of posting than anything, someone who "trolls" is usually referred to as a troll... makes it easier!

eg. Crawl back to the cave you came from you little troll.

;)

Seriously though, it's all a bit of fun, and ppl should remember that... It is after all, only the internet!

Happy holidays all :D

Lo.

Lohsing
21-12-2002, 12:32 PM
And now... my troll for agent...

People post such messages to get attention, to disrupt newsgroups,
and simply to make trouble. Career trollers tend for the latter two whilst the former is the mark of the clueless newbie and should be ignored.

So... which one are you! :^O

j/k

Lo.

crozier
21-12-2002, 01:56 PM
>clueless newbie

hahahahahahaha

I lnew it, CLueless is a newbie! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Chill out, man!!!! :D:D:D

crozier
21-12-2002, 01:58 PM
>Crawl back to the cave you came from you little troll.

He got upset about sewers, he definately won't like that ;)

Graham L
21-12-2002, 02:35 PM
Just STOP it, children. If you want to have an abuse session, crozier and agent, go to a chat room, or, preferably, email each other. The alternation between childish abuse and multipage volumes of self-important self-justification may be fun for you. Other people have grown past this stage. It has no place here. (And it's a total waste of disk space ... which stopped the system yesterday. ;-))

This is a technical help forum. Most of us try to keep the style light and friendly, but slanging matches are not light and friendly. If you are annoyed by something someone has said, walk away. Don't drive the keyboard when you are in a bad mood. (You can have your car keys taken if you are in that state).

crozier
21-12-2002, 04:44 PM
>Just STOP it, children. If you want to have an abuse session, crozier and agent, go to a chat room, or, preferably, email each other

>but slanging matches are not light and friendly.

With respect Graham it's my turn to say chill out! The silliness between myself and agent has ended and I've made my apologies. Some people agreed with me and some didn't. It's you who's harking back to that argument. Perhaps getting it going again?

Read the latest threads in order and you'll see that what's happening now is just some harmless banter.... partly aimed at Clueless. Perhaps you're ready for a holiday too.

nzStan
21-12-2002, 05:07 PM
*yawn*

Lock this thread up for goodness sakes.

robsonde
21-12-2002, 05:10 PM
I agree that it is time to Lock this thread.

it has become off topic.

it was never realy on topic........

it is achiving nothing.

agent
21-12-2002, 06:47 PM
I'm thinking of buying a book for myself for christmas. I have two options. The titles are vague, I can't remember the exact ones.
Book 1: Lose your friends and aggravate strangers
Book 2: Similar, only involves annoying your boss too

They are number one sellers, by someone Jonar or Jonar someone, and are said to be very good, and are supposed to get you ahead.

Bambi
21-12-2002, 07:54 PM
I don't recommend you buy and read these books as they can't be good for you.

How about a book like "How to make friends and influence people" by Dale Carnegie. ;)

crozier
21-12-2002, 09:32 PM
>I'm thinking of buying a book for myself for christmas. I have two options. The titles are vague, I can't remember the exact ones.
Book 1: Lose your friends and aggravate strangers
Book 2: Similar, only involves annoying your boss too

>They are number one sellers, by someone Jonar or Jonar someone, and are said to be very good, and are supposed to get you ahead.

And people think _I'm_ out of order!? I'm just a gullible meat in the sandwich! The high you go up the ladder the harder you fall!

Lock this thread, ban this prat and lets's al'l get on with our lives without "trolls"

agent
22-12-2002, 12:54 AM
The books are designed to get you thinking, and from a read of the blurb, (they are non-fiction books), are comical, and get you to look at things from new perspectives. Despite the $40 price tag, I think it'll make an excellent read, and develop my argumentative skills further.

If not that, I also saw "Isolate yourself and sink to the bottom of something" which was about a guy who moved to New York to make it big and within four years had done heaps of bad stuff and gotten himself banned from one of the top bars or something like that. However, this is the real story of someone, and won't do anything to help me.

Oh, tones_malones:
the website is being designed for secondary level students, and will have much more "security" than the Studentz.co.nz site - to access our site you'll need to sign up, providing details of yourself first. Your account is put on suspended mode until an administrator verifies you - we might run cross checks against the school people say they are from, and find out if they really go there, though this may turn out impossible because I see no reason why schools would give verify that a person goes to their school, and some details about them.