PDA

View Full Version : Win98 home network problem

discus
18-12-2002, 03:46 PM
I've read through the Networking FAQ and have tried everything there and I still have a problem with my network. Here is where it is at : two Win98 (not Second Edition) PCs, two new DSE fast ethernet cards, a crossover cable. I have set up with static IP addresses. PC1 is the main PC that has a printer attached, etc and is set as the Browse Master. Network Neighbourhood looks great on this PC - both PCs are listed. That indicates to me that something is working properly. PC2 is a different story. No PCs are listed under Network Neighbourhood, therefore the network itself is not accessible / available. Neither PC can successfully ping each other. Net diag does not work either. I don't have Netbeui installed at the moment - trying to perservere with TCP/IP. PC1 has ZoneAlarm installed but I have set it up to allow PC2 access, etc and have also shut it down completely to try get this problem sorted out. All I am trying to achieve is that PC2 has access to the printer on PC1 and that both PCs have access to the hard drive on the other PC. There is no device conflict. Both PCs are setup with the same Workgroup Name and different Computer Names. Both PCs are setup with File Sharing and sharing has been set on for the printer and the hard drives on both PCs.
I swapped the cards over last night to see whether one was not working but it made no difference. Also borrowed another crossover cable which works on my friend's PC and that made no difference either.

Any ideas on what else to try?

Graham L
18-12-2002, 03:58 PM
The IP address should differ only in the last number in the dotted quad. That is, if one is 192.168.0.1, the other could be 192.168.0.2 .

They must use the same mask. (The setup will probably give you the correct mask).

discus
18-12-2002, 04:01 PM
PC1 has 192.168.1.1 and PC2 has 192.168.1.2. The subnet mask is 255.255.255.0

Chilling_Silence
18-12-2002, 04:06 PM
You said that PC 1 (We'll call it the gateway) can see both itself and the client, but neither can ping each other?!

Are you sure (In a command prompt - Press the Windows Key + R to bring up a run box and type command) your typing:
ping 192.168.1.1

If it can see it, should be able to ping it!

Chilling_Silence
18-12-2002, 04:07 PM
Just had another quick thought...

To access a PC (Im assuming you've setup shares of all the C: Drive on both and both are logging in as the same user), you can type in the address bar of an explorer window:
\\PCNamehere\Sharename\
and it'll bring up the shared folder, try that on both PC's and see what happens.

discus
18-12-2002, 04:08 PM
Yes I am sure I typed the ping command correctly - on both machines.

discus
18-12-2002, 04:10 PM
I've tried accessing PC2 from PC1 using Find > Computer and Run > Computer as well as ping, net diag and mapping network drive.

Graham L
18-12-2002, 04:30 PM
Check that you have a crossover cable. :D You should be able to see the colours of the wires through the plugs. Hold both ends with the cable down, and the latch facing away from you. Then the pin numbers go 1,2 ...,7,8 from left to right.

pin 1 goes to 3 on the other plug, 2 to 6, 3 to 1, 6 to 2. Those are the pins which matter.

Then if that's not the problem, just remove the networking from both computers. Then install it again :D.

discus
18-12-2002, 04:34 PM
It is definitely a crossover cable.

I uninstalled everything last night and started from scratch with the same result. I have another slot in PC2 that I could try (just in case the slot is naffed) so will give that a go tonight.

Is it agreed that I don't (shouldn't) use Netbeui? That TCP/IP is the protocol to use.

Graham L
18-12-2002, 04:37 PM
It ought to work with TCP/IP.;-) If it works only with NetBEUI, it's a "Windows problem", not a "Networking problem". :D

Terry Porritt
18-12-2002, 04:54 PM
I'm following this thread with interest as I cant get TCP/IP to work between 2 computers running Win98SE either. The objective in my case was to set up Internet Connection Sharing, but you have to be able to ping each computer first.

If you dont want internet connection sharing, then Netbeui is so easy to set up and share files and printer I would give that a go. Also with Netbeui the bindings can be set to close Netbios port 139 and have no bindings with TCP/IP, so that security is better than with file shareing over TCP/IP if one or both computers have dial up connection.

Im just using 2 Realtek 10mbps ethernet cards with "thin ethernet" coax and terminators, and the dos diagnostics say all is ok. Im convinced it is a windows problem and nothing to do with hardware.

I have read that Win 98 can give problems with TCP/IP, I'd be interested to know how many Press F1'ers have managed it between 2 Win 98 setups.

Chilling_Silence
18-12-2002, 04:59 PM
Yup, done it successfully several times at home!

I was using DHCP, with the gateways IP Specified at 192.168.0.1 and ICS Installed, then I'd connect the second PC and get it using DHCP!

Also done the same with 95, NT4, 2K and XP as the client, but only with 95 at home....

Sometimes it just takes a while for W9x to simply "Get It"!

Try DHCP and see how that works out.

Terry Porritt
18-12-2002, 05:14 PM
Maybe I'll try DHCP, though "all" the sources say disable DHCP. Yet one of my "lads" has no problems with TCP/IP (also has Netbeui installed) between 3 Win95 computers, and early on when I was stuggling to get it going we had the same settings.

C-S, did you find you had to do things in a certain order to get TCP/IP working? I read somewhere that dial up networking had to be added last, but doing that didnt cure things for me.

tweak\'e
18-12-2002, 07:32 PM
>is set as the Browse Master.

set them to auto..for the time being.
if you have firewalls running ping may not work.

win98 is a sod for networking :(

however, make sure you have microsoft networking installed and you MUST log in with it (there is a way to speed that up) otherwise network will not work.

i would hold off with tcp/ip for the moment and install netbeui or ipx/spx. i suggest ipx/spx, set frame type to 802.3 and tick allow netbios over ipx/sx.

in the binding section of tcp/ip untick windows file sharing.

make sure something is shared on both pc's and they have the same workgroup name. (and NO don't go sharing the whole c drive either).

idea here is to make widows use ipx/spx for windows filesharing. this gets around problems with firewalls, spyware and other tcp/ip crud.

once you have that working you can set up tcp/ip for intenet sharing if you want to.

discus
18-12-2002, 09:19 PM
I have got MS Networking installed, and do log in each time. I have now installed ipx/spx on both machines and checked the "this is the default protocol" box, set the frame type to 802.3 and ticked to allow netbios over ipx/spx. Have unchecked file sharing in tcp/ip. There is a single folder on each PC that is fully shared.

The result of these changes is that PC2 has now disappeared off the Network Neighbourhood on PC1. PC2 is in the same state as before i.e. network not accessible, no PCs listed in Network Neighbourhood. Still cannot ping between machines.

Any more ideas to try? Could it be hardware? Like the slot on PC2 is not working properly (remembering there are no device conflicts or anything).
Or is it still the setup of the protocols, etc?

tweak\'e
18-12-2002, 10:41 PM
sounds like pc2 is the prob. it should list itself in network neighourhood. check the names and logon's. otherwise UNPLUG it and uninstall the networking (uninstall the firewall before you do so) and reinstall the networking.

tweak\'e
18-12-2002, 10:48 PM
o i forgot. try find "pc name". see if you can find it. you may just have to set browse master + turn LM announce on for one pc and off for the other pc.