PDA

View Full Version : outlook express and hotmail

space1
18-12-2002, 02:44 PM
With outlook express 6 I had it set up to check out my hotmail account. Now when I try to check my hotmail account through outlook I get an error message telling me to verify my details which are correct but still cannot look at my hotmail through outlook. This occurred at the same time as when I do check my hotmail through my browser I get the message telling me I am using an outdated browser. The browser I was using for hotmail was IE 6 so how can be out dated. I have to use IE because hotmail doesn`t let me log on using netscape 7

rugila
18-12-2002, 03:01 PM
Actually I don't have a straight answer, but did have similar experience, that is couldn't access hotmail using outlook express.
Microsoft said that with my Win98 I was entitled to 2 free assistances, and since this was the first (after using win98 for 3 years) we had email interchanges over about 3 weeks to try to resolve the problem. The emails didn't help since they only suggested the obvious stuff that I had already tried anyway. Eventually I tracked it down to what seemed a conflict with some obscure SIS driver (I think it was SISSMART.VXD). Cut this from either win.ini or system.ini (forget which)and haven't had the problem since.

Jim B
18-12-2002, 03:01 PM
What are you using now, is it Outlook Express or Outlook and what version

rugila
18-12-2002, 03:02 PM
Actually I don't have a straight answer, but did have similar experience, that is couldn't access hotmail using outlook express.
Microsoft said that with my Win98 I was entitled to 2 free assistances, and since this was the first (after using win98 for 3 years) we had email interchanges over about 3 weeks to try to resolve the problem. The emails didn't help since they only suggested the obvious stuff that I had already tried anyway. Eventually I tracked it down to what seemed a conflict with some obscure SIS driver (I think it was SISSMART.VXD). Cut this from either win.ini or system.ini (forget which)and haven't had the problem since.

rugila
18-12-2002, 03:14 PM
Postscript:
(a) I only meant to do one reply above. On the first attempt the server claimed it couldn't be found (fault of server, my machine, the software, the modem, quien sabe?) but apparently the message went thru anyway, and then again (b) SISSMART.VXD certainly conflicted strongly with Norton System Works to the extent that it froze my machine entirely when using Norton. I think it also caused the hotmail problem.

space1
18-12-2002, 03:27 PM
The version I am using is outlook express 6 with IE6

Susan B
18-12-2002, 10:10 PM
I don't know if I'm way off the mark here or not, but when I had problems with getting my emails into OE I just deleted the Hotmail accounts and then added them again. That did the trick for me.

Pauline
18-12-2002, 10:28 PM
Hi Space1,
I remember reading that Microsoft had made it harder to view Hotmail through OE when they brought out OE6.
The only thing that I can suggest is when you are in OE & go to Tools in the dropdown box does it have 'New Account Signup' & have Hotmail listed? or also in that dropdown box in Accounts, then Mail tab is your 'Hotmail' showing up there?
I have OE5 & can access Hotmail from there.
Pauline.

artpepper
19-12-2002, 12:48 AM
I used to have a hotmail and could receive it in outlook express, however now IIRC it costs to do this since approx. OCT this year,

so now if u attempt to add hotmail to OE it will give a sorry cannot do message...(as I did last week)

I know this doesn't answer yr question but perhaps similar changes have taken place in other hotmail/OE configurations....

Susan B
19-12-2002, 02:59 PM
For the record, a couple of weeks ago I installed Win XP with SP1 including OE and IE 6 on a new machine and had no problems whatsoever in setting up all my Hotmail accounts. And they all work perfectly fine.