PDA

View Full Version : Modem Problems

prosys
18-12-2002, 02:29 PM
I have an exterior USR Courier V.Everything modem connected to COM1 of my PC. When the phone line rings my PC running Win98 completely locks up. This also happens when I connect the modem to COM2.
Any ideas?

Graham L
18-12-2002, 04:46 PM
It looks as if your modem is set up to "auto-answer". If you have the manual, you can use HyperTerminal to talk to it sternly, and tell it not to do that. ;-) (make a new connection with no number to dial -- direct connect) Then type "AT" <enter>. This should answer "OK". Then you can do ATxx where "xx" is the command to NOT autoanswer, and then the AT command to save the configuration as the default. The book will tell you about this. Someone will probably post with the exact commands ... someone who has their book handy ;-).

prosys
18-12-2002, 05:42 PM
The modem isn't set to Auto Answer as far as I can tell. Even if it was set to Auto answer it shouldn't crash the software. It sort of looks like an Interrupt clash but I can't see anything that would cause this to happen.

godfather
18-12-2002, 05:52 PM
There are some motherboards that have a problem with serial ports.
I am not aware of exactly which models and brands, but they surfaced with PIII capable boards.

They showed up with devices including Palm organisers, where they hung the system under some circumstances. Palm actually made "adapters" to get around the problem. I know, because I needed one. I forget the esoteric nature of the problem, but the cure was to use an adapter which interrupted one pin on the port.

I wonder if what you are seeing is the same event? Look on Google for any solutions for the Palm unit, and see if it applies.

Later software cured it I believe in the case of Palm. Wonder if there is any BIOS update for your problem?

prosys
18-12-2002, 09:12 PM
The motherboard is a "new" replacement for an older one that failed, so it could be contributing to the problem. The motherboard does have the latest BIOS.

prosys
19-12-2002, 02:12 PM
Problem solved. I downloaded the motherboard manual and found a C-MOS setting called Modem Ring Resume, which when enabled "awakens the system from a soft off state." It put my system well and truly to sleep however!!! I disbaled the setting and now it works OK. Thanks for the comments.