PDA

View Full Version : New Jetstream connection

Andrew B
17-12-2002, 10:55 PM
I am considering getting connected to Jetstream now it is finally available in my part of Tauranga. Has anyone experienced Jetstream Starter; "JetStream Starter is an introductory product that is generally faster than a standard dial-up connection" (quote from Telecom website) and how does it compare in speed to dial up? Is it much slower generally than Jetstream Home 500/1000? And also what are the advantages/disadvantages of internal or external ADSL modems? Thanks.

Jim B
18-12-2002, 12:45 AM
Jetstream Starter is about 3 times faster than a dialup connection.
One advantage of an external modem apart from being better quality is being able to restart it without having to restart your computer when you have a connection problem.

falvrez
18-12-2002, 07:14 AM
I have access to both packages.

Jetstream Starter - varies from 6k/s-30k sec (web pages & email, FTP faster)
Jetream Full - from 80k/s-300k/sec (real figures )it is awesome.

cyberchuck
18-12-2002, 07:18 AM
Yeah

From memory (as I was looking into it myself) Jetstart is a slower connection as most ISP's offer you unlimited bandwidth within NZ and only capped bandwidth outside of NZ..

Where as JetStream is a faster speed because it's been capped inside and outside NZ (which to me is really stupid)

CyberChuck

tango
18-12-2002, 10:17 AM
I'd say at it's top speed, starter is more than three times faster. It really depends on what you're downloading from. A New Zealand server is fastest, can be around 60k/s, an international server will be quite a bit slower, maybe around 25/30, downloading from a peer to peer network is slower still, usually peaks around 16, but if there aren't many sources it can drop to around 3. It also depends on what you're going to be using it for. We were on Home500 and 500 megs just is no where near enough. 5000 is plenty though. I say go ahead and get it, you also get the convenience of not tieing up the phone line, it's always connected, and when you're at a site and it asks "56k or broadband", you get to click on broadband, hehehe:)

tango
18-12-2002, 10:26 AM
Something else you have to thnink about is are you going to get a modem, which would attach to probably your USB port, or a router, which you connect using an ethernet interface. I'd go with the router, dunno why, I just would hehe.

Chilling_Silence
18-12-2002, 10:35 AM
> From memory (as I was looking into it myself)
> Jetstart is a slower connection as most ISP's offer
> you unlimited bandwidth within NZ and only capped
> bandwidth outside of NZ.

MaxNet is one ISP that hasnt Capped Starter yet, I think there's another two out there, but dunno their names off the top of my head sorry.

crozier
18-12-2002, 10:38 AM
>A New Zealand server is fastest, can be around 60k/s, an international server will be quite a bit slower, maybe around 25/30, downloading from a peer to peer network is slower still, usually peaks around 16

Some surprising figures here. Let's relate it to a 56k modem. That's 56 klilobits per second not kilobytes. Jetstream Starter will give you a maximum for 128 kilobits per second. However, 128k is pretty constant whereas the 56k of a modem is maximum, most of us would be lucky to get above 50k on a good day. I was getting downloads of about 4 kilobytes/sec. Now that I've gone to Jetstream Starter I'm getting pretty constant 15-16 kilobytes/sec which is about 4 times faster than than modem. A couple of weeks ago there seemed to be a problem with Xtra / Telecom because I was getting between 30 and 60 kilobytes/second for a couple of days - and it wasn't even recorded on their logs!

Unless you really need the super high speed then Jetstream Starter should suffice. And it frees up the phone line and is always connected. I've had it for about 5 or 6 weeks now and, of course, I'm an expert ;)

CYaBro
18-12-2002, 10:38 AM
I'd go with a router for security reasons. Gives more protection with NAT then an internal modem or USB.

godfather
18-12-2002, 10:41 AM
Jetstream Starter has a bandwidth of 128k, which max's out at 16 kB/s

I note some claim a lot higher, but mine always averages out at this.

Reasons for a router are NAT addressing. It hides your PC from the web, acts as a one-way firewall. Very easy to use, but if you want to allow access to your PC from the web you will need to set it up (pinhole) for that.

I find JS Starter excellent. Speed is fine, and with a router it always on (no connect issues) for any PC on the lan.

Woof
18-12-2002, 11:46 AM
At last - a reasonable comparison of performance, expressed in plain "arithmetic" = thank YOU !

Now, can someone do the same for cost of Jetstart versus, say ihug Utopia plan on a 56k dialup ...........

Please ...........

crozier
18-12-2002, 11:57 AM
Same speed comparison woof. it doesn't matter what plan you're on 56k = 56 kilobits per second MAX, more likely 50 kilobits per second due to line noise and other outside influences. 128k on Jetstream Starter = 128 kilobits per second and is pretty much constant, depending on the site you're downloading from. As I said before this equals about 4 (ish) kilobytes per second on modem and 15-16 Jetstart. Regardless of ISP or plan.

Andrew B
18-12-2002, 12:47 PM
Thanks for all your help. If I get a router what features should I look for and are there any to avoid? Any comments would be appreciated. And with filters, can I use one filter between the master socket and the cable going to the rest of the extensions, or does each extension socket in use need one?

Beef
18-12-2002, 01:22 PM
Jetstart is about the cost of two extra phone lines. 60 bucks.

30 bucks to Telecom and 30 bucks to the ISP of your choice..

I think :S

crozier
18-12-2002, 01:39 PM
>Jetstart is about the cost of two extra phone lines. 60 bucks.

>30 bucks to Telecom and 30 bucks to the ISP of your choice..

Looking at it from a slightly different angle: Jetstart is about the same price as a 2nd phone line. You will need to change your ISP to a Jetstart compatable one which may cost a bit more. $30 for Jetstart $35 for Xtra in my case.

Woof
18-12-2002, 02:29 PM
Okay - maybe this will explain my cloudy vision a little better :-

Currently I pay approx :-
$40 for 1 telecom 'phone line
$19 for ihug Utopia internet usage (all you can eat sort of)
-----
$59 Total for EITHER telephone/fax OR internet
===

So for JetStart what else would I be paying for :-
$40 for 1 Telecom 'phone line
$ JetStart - paid to Telecom
$ JetStart - paid to ??????
$ Internet Service Provider for Internet usage ?
-----
$ Total for SIMULTANEOUS telephone/fax AND internet
===

Just a simple comparison table , please

crozier
18-12-2002, 02:33 PM
$40 for 1 Telecom 'phone line
$30 JetStart line connection- paid to Telecom
$35 JetStart Internet Service Provider - paid to Xtra or whoever you choose as your ISP
$0 for Internet usage (it's included in the $35)
-----
$105 Total for SIMULTANEOUS telephone/fax AND internet

Baldy
18-12-2002, 02:47 PM
Woof:

I an on Xtra dial-up with an additional phone line. My charges are just on $100. ($40 + $32 + $28) I live in an area where JS was not available

Thats roughly the same price as Jetstart/Jetstream or whatever they call it

BALDY:-)

Terry Porritt
18-12-2002, 03:01 PM
This is all very interesting as Telecom said a while ago that our local exchange will be able to provide ADSL connections hopefully before Xmas, but no sign yet.
I figure I could afford 128Kbps on my pension :), but the price structure/capping for the higher speeds makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Gee, I mean 500MB cap per month could be all used up in "next to no time".

Chilling_Silence
18-12-2002, 03:08 PM
> Gee, I mean
> 500MB cap per month could be all used up in "next to
> no time".

That's why there's one or two who still havent capped their download limit.

500Megs, Why, I can do that in no time too.. 10 megs an hour on 56K dial-up without downloads, shared between two PC's on ICS mind you. But that leaves me at about 50 hours if ONLY I was to use it.. I have also 2 parents, 3 younger brother and two younger sisters, four of those younger sibblings use the net!

500Megs would be gone within a week!

nzStan
18-12-2002, 03:17 PM
Xtra Jetstream Starter (or JetStart) is 128Kbits with a 5GByte cap on international traffic. NZ traffic is not counted. I play 1 or 2 hours each night (my kids surf the next when I'm not around). Battlefield 1942 gobbles around 30 - 40 Mbytes per hour mainly on local NZ servers. Total traffic per month approx 2GB. If I approach the 5GB international traffic limit, I get an email. If I am close to 5GB I get a phone call from Xtra.

Plus there is the JetStreamGames realm where you get full DSL speed (ie 2Mbits) free. I can download heaps of demo games from their FTP site.

Woof
18-12-2002, 04:57 PM
Yippeee

Now THAT"S exactly the simple side-by-side 'arithmetic' I wanted - you beauty, crozier - thanks HEAPS

Now I might even be able to get our telecommuter onto Jetstart as well !

crozier
18-12-2002, 05:54 PM
aw gee shucks... :8} :8} :8} :8}

Glad to be of help - it's only because I had to justifyit myself a few weeks ago.

Enjoy it when you get it!

Greg S
18-12-2002, 06:48 PM
There's a huge difference between full Jetstream and Starter, dependent on line conditions and distance from exchange. I'm only in a mediocre area, with potential upper limit of 6.5 Megabits per sec, and generally get between 300 - 500 KiloBytes per sec, with frequent downloads at very close to 1 MegaByte per sec - that equates to a 5 meg MP3 in about 6 seconds - Starter just doesn't compare.

utopia
18-12-2002, 06:51 PM
Yes, but it's still fast enough for people who downloads lots of stuff and want to finish the download faster tha usual.

e.g: a 10MB file takes at least 20 minutes to download on 56k but with Jetstream Starter, it takes around 5-6 minutes to download!

tango
18-12-2002, 07:04 PM
nzStan, how did you get those figures for BF1942? is there some program that measures how much goes in/out?

I download a lot of music videos (usually around 25-40 megs), as well as a load of other things, and generally use up around 3gig a month. 5gig (I mean, 5000 megs:)) is plenty for me.

falvrez
18-12-2002, 07:46 PM
keep in mind that Xtra/Telecom has that special deal of $99 for phone line, JS and ISP charge...a good deal and only one bill to pay.