PDA

View Full Version : Acrobat Reader

John W
17-12-2002, 09:50 PM
I was sent a PDF file today, but typical of bloody Govt Departments, the text I want to read is on the Right of centre down all 40 pages of the file. The usual dross & floss take up the left of centre on the page.

Is there any way I can select all of the text, edit/copy/paste it into say MS Word, then form it into two columns per page and reduce what would be half a ream in paper to something much less?

Thanks.....John.

godfather
17-12-2002, 09:53 PM
It depends on how it was created. If it was done in a table, then possibly by highlighting the table cell. Then copy/past to something else.

There are so many ways it could have been created, there isn't one answer.

In the worst situation its all a graphic, in the best a table.

John W
17-12-2002, 09:59 PM
Thanks Godfather, aand the same on Excel.

Um there does not appear to be an Save As, Edit/Copy/Paste option avaliable when I select the test on the document. Can i post a link to it here in 24hrs time, its at work you see. In fact, nothing gets highlighted when I scroll the mouse down the length of the file.

Cheers....John.

godfather
17-12-2002, 10:09 PM
In that case its all been scanned in as a graphic, and not as a text based document. You cannot extract the text in that case.

Jim B
18-12-2002, 12:34 AM
You can't edit or change the format of PDF files unless the originator has allowed this option when it was created.
This is one of the reasons for using PDF so the format is retained and to prevent unauthorized changes to forms and documents.

Are you not able to print it out or change the page size to be able to see what you want.
There are various options on the tool bar such as Fit width, Fit Window, Rotate etc.

Jim B
18-12-2002, 08:53 AM
If you want to go to a lot of trouble and expense you can edit PDF read only files. Some commercial software like MacroMedia FreeHand and Corel Draw can edit PDF files and another editor available is Jaws PDF