PDA

View Full Version : Norton Ghost 2003 bringing Troubles!

Chilling_Silence
17-12-2002, 09:39 AM
When tryingr to clone the first partition of an old HDD to the first partition on a new HDD, it throws and error message at me, saying:
Unable to Successfullly Defragment the Virtual Partition file. This is probably due to your disk being too fragmented, we reccommend that you run the disk defragmenter and then run this task again. se manual...

Now I noticed that on the C: drive there was a 24 MB file that looked like it was a Virtual Partition file (It was called something like that), should I try moving that temporarily to a different directory on the HDD?

Any help much appreciated,

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

Chilling_Silence
17-12-2002, 09:42 AM
The file is called VIRTPART.DAT!

Chilling_Silence
17-12-2002, 09:45 AM
...And no, Removing it does nothing, It re-creates an exact replica of it!

Babe Ruth
17-12-2002, 09:49 AM
Chill, See if the following article can help you Error: "...c0000005..." when using Ghost (http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/docid/2001071015394825)

Babe. (one armed)

Chilling_Silence
17-12-2002, 10:01 AM
Hi BR, Thanks, but its not quite what Im looking for. The user is logged into 2000 with Admin rights. Im just browsing the site now, but nothing good so far :(

Thanks though :)

Chilling_Silence
17-12-2002, 10:51 AM
Well, For starters the symantec onlinehelp was pretty darn useless, didnt help me at all.

I rebooted off the Floppy Disk I made in Doze from Ghost 2K3 and got into PC DOS.

From there, I found out that it wouldnt transfer coz the FAT's were different, the Primary on Drive 1 (Source) was FAT16, and coz of FAT16's restrictions on size, it wouldnt copy to a 14 gig partition on the destination.

I managed to set it to convert the files to use FAT32 on the fly while ghosting the partition.

Now to format the secondary partition to NTFS like it is on the secondary primary!

Thanks anyways.
I guess it just pays to muck around with the advanced settings when booting in to DOS (Who'd have though!?)

Cheers

Chilling_Silence