PDA

View Full Version : Changing Win98 Login name

Carol T
16-12-2002, 11:03 PM
I am buying a second-hand computer that has Win 98 installed. It does not have multiple user profiles, just the main one. This states, on logging off...when you click on the Start button and bring up list...Log off -and the person's name...i wish to change this or have it changed to Log Off User. How easy is it to do this? Many thanks.

duckyduck
17-12-2002, 06:11 AM
In WindowsME and I am sure off memory the same options applied in Win98, give this a try.

Start > Settings > TaskBar and Start Menu > Advanced > go to the window at the bottom Start Menu and TaskBar and in there, there should be a group of tick boxes for various functions, look for one called Display Log Off and remove the tick from that > Apply/OK and see if that works.

If that option is there then that will remove the Log Off Option altogether from being shown in your start menu.

Terry Porritt
17-12-2002, 06:54 AM
Or...
If you have Tweakui installed (which is a very good thing to have), and you click on the IE tab, clear the Allow Logoff box, click OK and reboot, will remove the log off option.

CYaBro
17-12-2002, 07:15 AM
The other way is to select Log Of ..(user name) and in the Windows Login box change the name to yours (or user) and then login without a password.
Then do a search for *.pwl files and delete any you don't want anymore.