PDA

View Full Version : HOOOORAY!!! FOR NORTON???

Grandad J
16-12-2002, 08:59 PM
HOOOORAY!!! FOR NORTON???

Is anyone trying to up date their Norton 2002 Anti Virus subscription before their current
subscription expires? If you are interested read on!!

Dear Norton or Whoever
I have been sitting at my computer for 2 hours trying to work out how to renew my update subscription.
I have read 13 pages of (so called) instructions .At various stages what appears on my screen bears NO RELATION to what is stated in the SO CALLED instructions.
All I want to do is renew my update subscription (which expires 19 Jan 2003) Via my credit card IN NEW ZEALAND In New Zealand currency.
Could please advise IS THIS POSSIBLE??? John Account ID: 123456789
Yours Faithfully
John

Hi John,

Thank you for contacting Symantec Customer Service.

I understand that you are wanting to renew your subscription for your Symantec Product. You can renew your subscription over the phone, by contacting the Upgrade Centre in your region by contacting the phone numbers below (Payment accepted by credit card/cheque/money order).

Australia: 1800 810 101
NZ: 0800 445 304

If you require further product information, please contact Symantec Customer Service.

Kind Regards,

Timothy
Symantec Customer Service
Australia: 1800 680 026
New Zealand: 0800 174 089

Dear John ,

Thank you for contacting Symantec.

This message confirms that you will renew your subscription for Norton
Antivirus Version 2002 Retail, for a period of twelve months upon entering
your subscription key
Your subscription key is ND1D2D345D6

Please enter this key as soon as possible, as it will expire in
approximately seven days. For complete details on how to enter your
subscription key, please click on this link:

Title: 'How to enter your Symantec program subscription key'
Document ID: 2001110715074713
Web URL:http://service1.symantec.com/support/sharedtech.nsf/docid/2001110715074713

If you have questions regarding your subscription or require assistance
entering your subscription key, please contact Customer Service on 1800
680 026 for Australia, or 0800 174 089 for New Zealand. Alternatively, you
may contact Customer Service online at <http://www.symantec.com/cssydney>.

If you require technical assistance, you may utilize any of the following
support options:
* Symantec's free online support service, at
<http://service.symantec.com.au/>, available 7 days a week, 24 hours aday.
* Symantec's priority telephone product support service, by calling 1300
368 089 from Australia, or 0800 442 795 from New Zealand, 8:30am-5:30pm
AEST (Sydney-time). Please note that a fee (currently AUD46.20) applies to
phone based troubleshooting of most technical issues.
* Symantec's Security Response website at
<http://securityresponse.symantec.com/> where information about viruses
and procedures to remove viruses are published free of charge, available 7
days a week, 24 hours a day.
The Symantec Upgrade and Subscription Centre can be reached at 1800 810
101 from anywhere in Australia, and on 0800 445 304 in New Zealand.

Kind Regards,
Customer Subscription Centre
Symantec Australia

ME AGAIN !! the phone call was quite successful the, renewed sub was quoted at NZ$41.20 and was accepted on to my credit card. However in trying to follow the instructions in the confirmation none of the screens called up related to the instructions. Further phone calls revealed that as the sub was not actually due for renewal the system would not accept the subscription"your key is “ND1D2D345D6” and it will be necessary to lodge it on or after the due date
However, the main reason for posting all this “Saga” was to let folk trying to find a way to renew their subs. that it is possible to do so by phone and credit card.
All the real people spoken to at Symantec were obliging and helpful.

Hoping that the above will be of some use
Grandad J

vk_dre
16-12-2002, 09:09 PM
Good on nortons. :)

Heather P
16-12-2002, 09:17 PM
My dad is a tad paranoid about credit cards and the Internet. His sub came up for renewal so I said "No probs. I'll do it for you." That was yesterday.

I followed the link in his email and ran into a product page trying to sell me 2003. (Since when have "subscriptions" meant "product upgrades?)What a drama! Round and round in circles! But I got there in the end!

Now I'm not entirely certain of the exact steps so don't quote me (sending me round in circles doesn't help with the learning curve for doing it again) but...

ignore their website and do it this way:

- Open Nortons program
- Click on Live Update
- If your sub is due one of the steps will take you to the right page and show you how to renew the sub.

agent
16-12-2002, 09:23 PM
I've had some very bad troubles with Norton... registered for a new subscription for NAV2000 after my free one year sub expired. Paid online by credit card (it was only US$10), and received an email with my Order Confirmation Number. Entering this into the update field didn't work. So now every time I want to update my virus definitions, I have to re-enter a Subscription Key (which is always "NDxxxxxxxxx"). Over the past 10 months this has lead me to memorise about five different Subscription Keys, which do not work after about two to three months. So when my current Key stops working, I have to go back to that email, copy my Order Number, go to this page (http://www.symantec.com/region/reg_ap/techsupp/static/confirm), paste in my Order Confirmation Number, get the Subscription Key for NAV2000, write it down, and enter it in the NAV2000 subscription area. After about two updates, I have remembered this Key. I'm dreading what will happen when the 12 months period is up, as I'm not sure what the hell will then go wrong. Maybe I'll just have to update to NAV2003.

Another thing is, if I download the software updates, it downloads, partially installs, then returns with an error, and one reason for the error is that "you may be using a demo of the software", which I know I am certainly not, and all the other provided reasons do not fit either.

vk_dre
16-12-2002, 09:29 PM
there is an easier way like re-installing Norton and getting another free year!!:D But this is kinda dodgy, isn't it?

Heather P
16-12-2002, 09:34 PM
After I'd finished yesterday the confirmation email came through and the program showed another year of use so hopefully all is OK (with Dad's eyesight it had better be. I don't want to untangle THAT on the phone!)

The real annoyance is that the website is designed to get you to accidentally upgrade the program rather than update your sub. ie spend more money.

I have used Nortons happily for years. This kind of marketing makes me think of checking out the opposition.

mikebartnz
17-12-2002, 12:09 AM
Well I would check out AVG (http://www.grisoft.com/) which is free and a lot less hassel

Grandad J
17-12-2002, 04:42 PM
the site below is for non technical inquiries and has room for comments
???/or otherwise
Hope this is of some use/help

http://symantec.datacom.com.au/redirect.asp

Grandad J

Chilling_Silence
17-12-2002, 05:37 PM
Ive heard this works to, VK_Dre, but yeah.. It is sorta ripping them off. I go free with AVG (Hey, that rymes!)

Grandad J
21-12-2002, 11:58 AM
The following is the result of the foray into Norton Territory

This morning when I fired up the computer Norton sent a reminder that the AV protection.was up for renewal(on the 19/01/03)one month's warning!! I then entered the subscription key"they had sent and then checked the Programe to see that the numbers had been accepted and that the sub, now expires 20/01/04
By the way I was quoted NZ$42.20 to renew.I hope that all of this is of interest and some use to folk having trouble

Christmas greetings to the F1 team and all who contribute to the Forum.

G.J

Heather P
21-12-2002, 07:54 PM
For interest - just checked my credit card statement on-line to find out whether I gained or lost on upgrading Dad's antivirus. (He'd given me $40 for both the antivirus and a $7.50 battery). I won! Doing it on-line was $US14.95. The exchange rate must have been good on the 15th Dec as it translated to $NZ29.95.