PDA

View Full Version : OEM Windows 98

kuku
16-12-2002, 08:09 PM
I can't reinstall win98 on my hp pavillion6327. It just keeps rebooting when the system recovery disc is inserted. Application recovery disc can't find cl;oaker.exe. Is the replacement cd rom drive {a cyberdrive} a possible reason?

NathanTheKind
16-12-2002, 09:05 PM
can you explain your problem more please. What do you mean the replacement CD ROM Drive. why are you trying to reinstall windows 98. It sounds as if the problem lyes in the recovery disk rather than the CD ROM drive. Have you formatted your hard drive or are you just trying to install windows straight over the top of the old version. if you still have access to a windows machine, you should look to see if you can find the file that it needs. did the recovery disk come with the machine or have you made it yourself. If you made it yourself or if you can make more, you should try to create more.

Steve Askew
17-12-2002, 07:09 AM
Replacement cd-rom drive shouldn't be a problem.

Usualy HP computers come with 2 cd's, A recovery cd which contains the operating system & all the extra crap that HP like to install & using this cd should put your computer back to the state it was in when it first came from the shop,The second disc is called the application cd & it usually contains the drivers for your computer.
If your computer has had win98 installed using a non HP disc & you are trying to get drivers off the application you will get the error message regarding cloaker.exe.
Is this the case ? If so you should be able to browse the application disc to get the drivers.
If not More info required Please.

cheers Steve

kuku
17-12-2002, 09:17 AM
Hi Steve, My operating system is becoming increasingly unstable so I would like to do a format and instal.I've done it before successfully .The discs came with the pc and will only work on a hp pavillion.The original cd rom drive clapped out so I replaced it with the cheapest one going. I can read the application recovery disc using windows explorer. I thought that the non hp cd drive might be the problem. Thanks, Kuku

Steve Askew
17-12-2002, 12:13 PM
If your cd-rom can read cd's ok in explorer I would imagine it is ok. (could be wrong though)
this guy had the same problem & this is what HP told him to try>

I had the same problem when trying to use my recovery CD, and I called the customer care line for advice. Here is what I was told to do, and perhaps it's not a bad idea to try it before reordering the recovery CD:

First of all, the way to run recovery is to insert disk one, shut down, wait 30 seconds and then boot up. Ideally, the recovery program screen will automatically appear. But it didn't happen for me. So customer care suggested shutting down again and when you reboot, continually hit the ESC key. Be careful not to continue once the program begins running...you will escape out of it. If ESC doesn't work, try again with F1. That's as far as we got, because it finally worked for me. And I didn't have cloaker.exe or a new recovery CD!

For the full story look here http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0x07fcf9beca68d511abcd0090277a778c,00.html

Let us know how it goes.
cheers Steve

kuku
19-12-2002, 09:18 PM
Hi Steve, I tried but still no luck. I get to the windows 98 loading screen and it shuts down.Guess I'll have to try talking to hp. Thanks for trying,kuku

Steve Askew
19-12-2002, 10:14 PM
I guess the cd is clean?

cheers Steve

kuku
21-12-2002, 07:53 AM
Squeaky, kuku

roofus
21-12-2002, 08:25 AM
while this really doesn't resolve your issue.

Don't format. Tweak your system so everything runs fine. You also end up learning lots more about the system and what makes it fall over etc