PDA

View Full Version : Driver + Detection Problem

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
16-12-2002, 03:36 PM
Hi, I am doing the following on my old overclocked P100 with 32RAM, etc. and MS5124 motherboard.

After formatting the computer (yes! this one as well, I'm having fun formatting everything I have) I am faced with the same old problem that took me days to resolve last time.

The problem is that the computer fail to detect the Shark Multimedia branded Baby Tiger 336R dial-up modem. It is inserted into the ISA slot number one. How do I get it to detect this? The computer keeps on searching at the default are, COM2, which there is nothing connected to. Please help tell me how to get the computer to detect the modem?

(When I go into add hardware, it won't detect the modem either)

And... where abouts can I get the driver off the internet for this modem, as I don't seem to be able to find it...

Many thanks once again, ;-)

cyberchuck
16-12-2002, 03:46 PM
Okay
Has Windows already detected it and just doesn't have the proper drivers for it, or doesn't know what it is?
Start > Settings > Control Panel > System
Device Manager tab and have a look. It should be under the Other or Unknown devices bit and if you click on it, and open properties it will say Windows Cannot Find A Driver, Do You Wish To Install One Now? or something like that.... (have a look under the driver tab)

Anyway, if it's in there, then you can easily install the drivers for it, if not, then could you provide us with your operating system details.

After a looksie on google SharkMultimedia's website appears to be down which would make driver updates hard - have you tried DriverGuide (http://www.driverguide.com) as it's a forum like this exclusively for drivers?

CyberChuck

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
16-12-2002, 03:54 PM
Thanks for your reply,

No Window hasn't detected it like I said, I am using Windows 98SE

Many thanks once again,

cyberchuck
16-12-2002, 04:03 PM
Hey

Has it been installed properly before and working? - otherwise I might suggest that it hasn't been pushed "firmly" enough into the ISA slot.

Failing that, you could try doing what I did for my modem, just install the drivers for the device anyway, it'll come up as a "bad" device in the system control panel, but Windows will have the drivers for it. Reboot, uninstall the modem, reboot again and Windows [for some reason] will pick it up

I take it the device isn't Plug and Play compatible?

CyberChuck

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
16-12-2002, 04:06 PM
Thanks,

I wouldn't think its Plug 'n Play, although I'm not quite sure. yes it was working before the format.

Any more advice in finding the drivers?

many thanks once again for your contribution ;-)

cyberchuck
16-12-2002, 04:11 PM
Failling that you could try Windows Standard Drivers...
But that requires Windows to detect the device first...
Bugger

Sorry I haven't been much help, but leave this for the morning and no-doubt someone will come along tonight and offer advice

CyberChuck

Graham L
16-12-2002, 04:14 PM
If it's not P&P, it will have jumpers to select I/O address and IRQ. Pull it, and have a look to find what port it is set for.

Elephant
16-12-2002, 04:31 PM
1st thing check the bios and the com ports you have there. Usually you will find com2 in the bios is disabled and the modem is set to use com2.
An ISA modem acts as a com port and is probably set at 2.

Probably set it up as a Standard 33.6 modem will work.

Steve Askew
16-12-2002, 04:49 PM
Try going into device manager & remove the com ports,reboot & run the "add new hardware wizard" & it should find your com ports again,after com ports are installed again go to "modems" & see if windows will find it.
Once found you should be able to use standard driver until you find the correct driver for your modem.
Cheers Steve

Greg S
16-12-2002, 05:18 PM
Try here for the driver: http://www.modem-help.co.uk/mfc/shark.html

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
16-12-2002, 07:24 PM
Many thanks for your contribution,

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
16-12-2002, 08:49 PM
Any more ideas?

BIFF
16-12-2002, 11:04 PM
I know this may be a silly question, but have you run the New Hardware Wizard and had it search for the modem? It should first find a Com port, then find the modem.

Jacc
17-12-2002, 12:46 AM
Clutching at straws here, but have you tried it in a different slot on the mb, I have found that changing slots sometimes helps, just don't ask me why cause I don't know.

Jacc

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
17-12-2002, 10:49 AM
Many thanks for your contribution,

Yes I've tried both suggestions, but it doesn't seem to work.

Any more ideas guys? Many thanks once again, :-)

Chilling_Silence
17-12-2002, 11:21 AM
You could try changing (Either in the BIOS or Doze) the com port number that the port acutally is, from 1 to, say, 4, or higher in Doze!
It may be trying to use port 1 which would already be being used.

Otherwise, try disabling onboard Com ports in the BIOS and see what happens!

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
17-12-2002, 01:56 PM
Could you please explain how?

Many thanks once again,

Chilling_Silence
17-12-2002, 02:09 PM
In the BIOS, It'll be under Oboard settings or soemthing, but in doze, open up system properties ( I dunno what OS, so I'm going by Win2K, but I think you're running 98 from memory... Should be the same though ) or Hardware/Device Manager.

Select Ports (Com and LPT) and then select Com 1
Go Properties

Select Port Settings and then Advanced.

Then Change the Com Port Number and try re-adding the hardware.

Id try looking thru the BIOS first and then trying to change the resources it uses in there, or simply disabling it alogether!