PDA

View Full Version : Dialup networking between Win XP and 98

Eorr
16-12-2002, 03:13 PM
Hi, I'm new to the forum. Have had a look through old threads but don't find any help.
My situation is this: trying to dial in to my home PC from my work PC using a modem. Home PC is running Win98 SE and work PC is running 'WinXP Home' (just to add to confusion).
My problem is this: I have set home PC using Win98 Dialup Server OK, but when I dial in I'm asked to enter user name and password and domain. I have no idea what domain is about, and setting user name and password to the user settings in Win98 doesn't let me in. Any ideas?
The best tip I could find was to install Netbeui in my WinXP machine, but I can't get this to work - it may be cause it's dial-up conneciton?

Firstly, what is 'domain' all about. Even knowing that would help. The only thing I made sure of was that both PC's are in a workgroup with the same name. Is there instruction for this somewhere?

cyberchuck
16-12-2002, 03:25 PM
Hey

When you first Run Dialup server (or go into Dial up networking > Tools > Dial Up Server) Click on "Enable Caller Access" then the Change Password box lights up. Click on that and put a password on (if you require one)
The Server Type: Make it PPP, don't require an encryped password, but enable software compression. Click apply and you get your icon in the system tray

Dialup to your server now, leave the username field blank, and enter your password and leave Domain Blank. This will let you access your machine.

A domain server is a "master" server for workgroups, and manages logons. It enables workgroups to communicate with eachother over a "domain". As you don't need it I wouldn't worry about it too much

CyberChuck

Eorr
16-12-2002, 04:39 PM
Wow, thanks for such a quick reply, CyberChuck. But sorry to say this didn't work. The only difference I made was un-selecting the 'require encrypted password' option, and logging in without a user name. The error is: "Windows was unable to connect to the network using the user name and password you provided. Please re-enter the user name and password". A bit frustrating. What else can I try?