PDA

View Full Version : converting cd to mp3

artpepper
16-12-2002, 01:33 PM
I want to burn a couple of songs off a CD I own and include them on a CD mp3 comp. of various stuff I'm making for a friend...

I use the bundled adaptec CD sftware, ME yet the song is always saved in Windows Media player and this is not Mp3 and thus AFAIK not burnable without reconverting somehow...how?:)

am I missing something or is this another microsoft way of stopping me using my PC and files how I want?

tweak\'e
16-12-2002, 01:38 PM
try cdex to rip the track off the cd (http://www.cdex.n3.net/) media player is a pain for ripping cd's, don't bother useing it.

agent
16-12-2002, 01:49 PM
Windows Media Player is a pain? I use WMP9 on XP, and copy music in the Windows Media Variable Bitrate format set at medium quality... almost no loss of quality and quite good compression rates. I have copied most of my albums onto my computer, and the most painful thing is manually entering the details for each track (no internet on that computer, have to get network sorted out), but apart from that it's easy. It can take anywhere as short as a four minutes to copy 15 tracks off the CD, providing most of them are shorter than 5 minutes.

artpepper
16-12-2002, 02:01 PM
agent - i think you misunderstood

yes WMP is fine for ripping them off a CD but try burning a song back onto a blank CDR - no go!

bte I tried opening with WinAmp but WMP files won't play even after "opening with"

thanks for the codex link too I will look at that now :)

cheers

Chilling_Silence
16-12-2002, 02:09 PM
If you saved the files as WMA using WMP, then WinAmp 2.x and WinAmp3 will pick them up, just make sure that with WinAmp 2.x that you download the full install which includes WMA support :-)

Cheers

agent
16-12-2002, 02:22 PM
Using WMP9, you can just create a playlist and write it to a CD. There are even "auto playlists", and among them, one for making a playlist that will fill a CDR with up to 74 mins of music. I believe that in WMP9 Microsoft abandoned the Roxio add-in that limits CD writing speed to a very, very low speed (about 2x) unless you buy the full add-in... but possibly not, I haven't ever needed to write audio CDs.

crozier
16-12-2002, 02:29 PM
>but possibly not, I haven't ever needed to write audio CDs.

So what you're saying the is that you really don't know what you're talking about.... again ?

nzStan
16-12-2002, 02:33 PM
ROTFLMAO Now now crozier, quit stalking him. FWIW, I think agent do actually know what he's talking about :P

MERRRRRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!! HOHOHO!!!

crozier
16-12-2002, 02:42 PM
>ROTFLMAO Now now crozier, quit stalking him

huh? Who? Me? OK, I'll go to confession then!

HOHOHOHAHAHAHAHAHEHEHEHEHE!

Chilling_Silence
16-12-2002, 02:50 PM
Yes, Im quite sure that works, Select your playlist to play and then it should be under the file menu. It was in 7 and 8, so it should be in 9 too, but 9 isnt a final release (Although I have downloaded the most recent one and it's not looking too shabby, but im a WinAmp fan thru and thru :-)

Speed is slow from what I remember too.

Your best bet would be to re-encode them using Tweak'es software and burn them using Roxio Easy CD-Creator, which allows for a lot more control over the CD (Like fades and track gap times etc).

Merry Christmas to all!

Lohsing
16-12-2002, 06:01 PM
> Windows Media Player is a pain? I use WMP9 on XP, and
> copy music in the Windows Media Variable Bitrate
> format set at medium quality... almost no loss of
> quality and quite good compression rates.

Oh dear.... :| ... "almost no loss of quality" ... that's an absolute shocker of a statement from someone using WMA format.

Lo.

agent
16-12-2002, 06:19 PM
Oh please, they sound better than 128KB MP3 files (some people might not have hearing that actually notices a difference between a CD track and a 64KB MP3 version), and most definitely better than MP3PRO files (even when they're played through a player that plays back MP3PRO files).

And it just so happens I do know what I'm talking about, crozier. I said I've never needed to write audio tracks to CD, not that I don't know how to. If I ever felt the random urge to write an audio CD, I have three programs at hand to do so. I am not that incompetent when it comes to technology.

Baldy
16-12-2002, 06:28 PM
If you install Musicmatch Jukebox, it just does it all automatically.

NathanTheKind
16-12-2002, 06:38 PM
Try FreeRIP. This neat little program can take the tracks off a CD and convert it into either, MP3, WAV or Ogg formats. best of all when you are connected to the internet, with the CD in the Drive it searches the net and in most cases can call the tracks the name of the song that it is, and who published it etc. It is FREE and doesn't contain Spyware

you should be able to get FreeRIP from here (www.mgshareware.com). if not then do a search in GOOGLE

Have a great Christmas

Lohsing
16-12-2002, 07:34 PM
> Oh please, they sound better than 128KB MP3 files
> (some people might not have hearing that actually
> notices a difference between a CD track and a 64KB
> MP3 version), and most definitely better than MP3PRO
> files (even when they're played through a player that
> plays back MP3PRO files).

ROTFLMAO ... :^O

Quit while you're ahead dude.

Lo.

tweak\'e
16-12-2002, 08:28 PM
i like cdex due to it being free, open source and has far better quality settings than most rippers including WMP. eac is also very good. a fast ripper is not always a good ripper(a lot of fast rippers will have errors in the tracks).

wmp9 (as far as i know) is still beta and should be used with caution.
wma codec is fairly poor when compared to lame, ogg, and real. tho if you are making a combo disk to play in a cd player, then codecs won't matter as you will be ripping to wave and burning wave files to cd.

ripping a cd to mp3 etc then coverting it back to normall music cd looses quality, which makes it pointless if you have the orignal cd.

there is a huge range of music programs out there, you don't have to stick with microsoft ones.

agent
16-12-2002, 09:10 PM
Quit while I'm ahead? From your point of view, I was probably never ahead. But I will go on.

As I've said, I extract my music off CDs using the Windows Media Audio Variable Bitrate codec, on medium setting. A variable bitrate is better because it uses less compression in harder areas to compress, and more in areas that are easier. This results in a better sounding file. And considering the medium setting encodes it between ~138KB and ~220KB (can't quite remember, I'm not on that computer right now, and this one doesn't have WMP9), I am getting just about no loss of quality, and this sounds much better to me than, say, an MP3 compressed at 160KB, which still has significant reduction in the range of frequencies, and therefore lower sound quality - do you know how audio compression codecs work?

Now I know that WMP9 is still in beta stages, but I happen to be one of the lucky people who never experience any problems at all from beta software - and I'm not kidding about this, I use a lot of beta software, and none of it ever goes wrong. I should consider myself extremely lucky here, because I hear stories of people using beta software that screws up badly, and I'm just not one of those people.

As for fast rippers, I put the speed of WMP9 ripping tracks off my CD down to the fact that I always customise my system settings to my preference (which is faster, with less visual effects), and I leave my computer completely alone while it is extracting the tracks. I also have a 7200RPM hard drive, 256MB RAM, an 800MHz (I know, it's not that flash), and a motherboard that supports ATA133.

I used to use Easy CD Extractor to rip files and encode them into MP3, and I always downloaded MP3s, but now I use the WMA format. However, when I load Linux, I will use the Ogg format as opposed to any other format.

tweak\'e
16-12-2002, 09:42 PM
sigh :( wma, ogg, lame, and most other mp3 codecs are all varible bitrate.

> this sounds much better to me than, say, an MP3 compressed at 160KB

it depends on which mp3 codec used and settings used.

as far as time it takes to rip i think you missed the point. how long it takes is not very important. whats the point of a fast rip if its full of errors. i use cdex in paranoid mode which can take a while if it finds errors on the cd. i'd rather have it take longer and get a good rip. EAC is a good ripper but won't do ogg id tags where as cdex will (with cddb of course).

if you are looking at useing ogg why not do it now? save reripping the cd's when you get linux.

Lohsing
16-12-2002, 09:56 PM
> sigh :( wma, ogg, lame, and most other mp3 codecs
> are all varible bitrate.
>
> > this sounds much better to me than, say, an MP3
> compressed at 160KB
>
> it depends on which mp3 codec used and settings
> used.
>
> as far as time it takes to rip i think you missed the
> point. how long it takes is not very important. whats
> the point of a fast rip if its full of errors. i use
> cdex in paranoid mode which can take a while if it
> finds errors on the cd. i'd rather have it take
> longer and get a good rip. EAC is a good ripper but
> won't do ogg id tags where as cdex will (with cddb of
> course).
>
> if you are looking at useing ogg why not do it now?
> save reripping the cd's when you get linux.

Agreed with everything tweak'e has posted... believe it or not Agent, the search function will provide you with some good postings regarding mp3, which I suggest you research before you start spouting about how the wma codec is the be all and end all of audio codecs for compression.

Best of luck with those variable wma's.

Lo.