PDA

View Full Version : Optical Mice (ps/2)

Mark Veldhuizen
16-12-2002, 09:08 AM
Just put a bid (im pretty sure to get it ) for a good 4d optical mouse, simialr to Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer. Anywho, its a PS/2 verison, not USB, is that OK? I dont really get why any mouse wood use USB if it COOD use mouse port (more free USB ports, and ps/2 is a more comfy/secure fit)...

Does the PS/2 version of optical mice have a glowing red bottom...? how can it power the light thru PS/2? Do they have power going INTO the mouse? With USB I understand, but PS/2?

cyberchuck
16-12-2002, 09:14 AM
Hey

PS/2 or USB doesn't really make a difference. I prefer PS2 for the same reasons you do - it's a more secure comfy fit, and it also saves me having to by a USB hub to get free ports :D

This ad here (http://www.auctionelf.com/cenmin4dopmo.html) seems to give me the impression that you get the red glowing bit (that's part of the optical bit of the mouse) but as for power... USB provides a small amount of power to the device for it to use.

Still after looking up the ad's on Google for it the ones I saw all had the red glowing bit so maybe PS2 does provide power to it's sources... It would explain why you can get the Numlock, Capslock etc, lights working on a PS2 keyboard

CyberChuck

godfather
16-12-2002, 09:36 AM
PS2 supplies the power needed for the mouse and its electronics. The power use is not that much higher than a ball type.

I use an optical mouse (5 button/2 scroll wheel), they are quite good

$37 each on special when I bought them

Just watch the surface you intend using them on. Wont work too well on glass or dark surfaces.

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
16-12-2002, 10:45 AM
Just watch the price, some are much too expensive!

Here is the cheapest i can find, at the same shop, but they are OEM (doesn't really matter, you still get everything but the nice packaging)

MS WheelMouse Optical $28 +GST
MS IntelliMouse Explorer $60 +GST

Harvey Norman still has the Explorer for $149! WheelMouse Optical I guess would be about $80/90...?

Would you want to pay double/triple price for the nice MS coloured "useless" box?

Contact me by replying to this message if you're interested in buying (from the shop, more details, i.e. address, etc.)

tweak\'e
16-12-2002, 11:43 AM
the difference be tween ps2 and usb mouse is the usb is smoother which is vital for gamers. standard ps2 port speed in win9x is 80hz and XP (i think) is 100hz. however you can change that with ps2rate(win9x).

also some new motherboards don't have ps2 ports anymore.

utopia
16-12-2002, 01:03 PM
> the difference be tween ps2 and usb mouse is the usb
> is smoother which is vital for gamers. standard ps2
> port speed in win9x is 80hz and XP (i think) is
> 100hz. however you can change that with
> ps2rate(win9x).
>
> also some new motherboards don't have ps2 ports
> anymore.

In Win9x, Std ball mice is 40-60Hz, Optical 100Hz, Optical USB 120Hz.
USB might not be your cup of tea if your PC is slow/old (2-3yrs or older) but for newer PCs USB mice should operate smoothly.

phylip
17-12-2002, 03:12 PM
i perfer my genius usb mouse and it doesnt use any usb ports in my computer the reason for this is that my keyboard is a microsoft ergonomic keyboard that has 2 usb ports in the back of it one has my mouse in it all of the time and the other is usefull for pluging in my digital camera
makes life alot better
if you need any of these devices you can buy them from kea computers

http://www.kea.net.nz