PDA

View Full Version : Sound when moving windows about on screen

kiwitanker
15-12-2002, 07:56 PM
Whenever I move a window about on the screen in Win XP home ed. I can hear a very low buzzing sound coming through my speakers. It seems too quiet to be intentional like some kind of irritating feature of XP. I have to have the speakers set quite loud to hear it but I still notice it every so often and it is very annoying.
I want to put an end to it. Any ideas as to the cause and how to fix it would be greatly appreciated.

Jams
15-12-2002, 08:16 PM
Hey Tank.

what sort of sound card do you have? is it on board or a card? is it a good quality card?

i get the same problem when my applications load or when i move my mouse, ive just put my problem down to a very CRAPPY on board sound chip.

heres my sound chip if anyone would like to laugh at me.....

AC'97 VIA.

mikebartnz
15-12-2002, 10:07 PM
I hav e an AC'97 and have no problem with it. It is sufficient for what I want.
As for the original post it sounds like a conflict to me.

godfather
15-12-2002, 11:25 PM
Separate your cables (sound, video keyboard power and mouse)

Do not let them get close to each other. A lot of the noise you describe can be fixed this way, it's "crosstalk" between the cables.

Danger
16-12-2002, 12:33 AM
Do you have a late version of Zone Alarm installed? That caused a problem when it conflicted with a vxd on my PC with symptoms like you describe. Had to uninstall and flush out all traces of ZA from my system to fix this problem.

kiwitanker
16-12-2002, 07:53 PM
Yeah I have an integrated via AC'97 (I am planning to get an audigy or similar later on) and it's not zonealarm. I installed that later
As for the rearranging the cables. The cords not tangled with anything else. moving it had no effect.

wuppo
16-12-2002, 08:29 PM
Check to see if your soundcard is sharing an irq with another device - this is often the cause of disturbances in the audio.

sweetcornminer
30-07-2006, 12:44 AM
I found that this exact problem was caused by the CD to soundcard cable.

Took it out and suddenly no problem!

(never played CD's on my PC anyway)