PDA

View Full Version : Copy protect a CD

GeoffW
15-12-2002, 03:41 PM
Hi

I have written a program and want to put it on CD. I don't wish this CD and program to be copied. Is there a way to copy protect the CD/Program? I am assuming there is not as Microsoft would be doing it. But I thought I would ask anyway just in case.

Thank You :-)

GeoffW

Big John
15-12-2002, 03:45 PM
Whatever protection you can design can easily be broken even quicker.

If you dont want someone to read it then you will need to encrypt the contents. Programs such as PGP can do this very easily. Windows XP also has this feature but be warned if you lose the key in XP then you cant get the file back no matter how you try.

Graham L
15-12-2002, 03:45 PM
You copy-protectD. Just get a holesaw, and make evenly spaced 50 mm diameter holes in the CD.

It makes it unreadale as well, but you can't get rything. :D

Billy T
16-12-2002, 05:48 PM
You been into the Xmas spirit Graham?

What the heck is rything when it's at home ?:|

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D

Graham L
16-12-2002, 06:07 PM
everything of course. On these thin clients on a Terminal server the entry mode often goes to overwrite rather than insert. So putting in fromatting codes sometimes deletes what should be emboldened. (I could pretend I was putting things in txt.) B-) But I left out one consonant and left in some vowels. :_|

Anyway, spelling's only aesthetics. How'd you like my copy protection method? Hardware security is always better than software. :D

Billy T
16-12-2002, 08:05 PM
Putting the proposal through a (sort of) critical path analysis

Is the technology robust: Yes

Is it simple to use: Yes

Can it be executed in hardware: Yes

Does it increse the CPU loading: No

Does it prevent copying: Yes

Can anybody corrupt the data: No

Will it be susceptible to virii: No

Is the upgade path inhibited: No

Is the system decorative: Yes

Is it tranparent to the user: Semi

Is intensive training required: No

Is data-recovery post-encryption easy: Hmmmmm.............Pass

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D

ambasluv
22-12-2002, 06:00 PM
I remember hearing that Codemasters were talking of some sort of copy-protection for their Playstation 1 games, which are CD-based, involving something similar to the CD-checks you find in some PC games. Basically. a file is placed on the CD that cannot be read by any ordinary means, apparently, or can only be read in conjunction with another file on the CD, something complicated like that, but basically, when a person attempts to copy the CD, they get a copy that doesn't work. Something to do with being unable to copy that section. Maybe putting a CD music track on the CD, which your install software checks for before it'll do anything might work. To make sure that CD-Swapping doesn't work you might want to make the track a strange length of time, and make sure that the install program checks fo both the length of track and the number of tracks on the CD. Although I've always been a firm believer of 'if it can be read - it can be copied.'

So far the drilling technique seems to be the most reliable... You could always get people to sign a contract in blood every time you sell a copy. Maybe if they had to copy out the whole contract at the same time it might work better... No blood in body=no ability to copy software...

It could work...

ksexychick
22-12-2002, 09:26 PM
online music

Clueless
22-12-2002, 10:27 PM
online music....mmmmmmmmmm

.Clueless