PDA

View Full Version : Problems with mouse Knoppix that came with PC World

tango
15-12-2002, 11:43 AM
Hey I'm trying to run Knoppix, which was on the PC World October 2002 CD. It boots up and seems to run fine, except for the mouse. The cursor is drawn in the top left corner of the screen, but when you move the mouse, the cursor doesn't move with it. for example I can actually do things by guessing where the mouse is pointing haha. when you move the mouse to the edge of a window, the cursor in th top left change to the double arrow thing. help me!! (please!)

cyberchuck
16-12-2002, 03:53 PM
Hey

What is the specs of the computer you are trying to run it on? - as Knoppix runs from your computers memory (and doesn't install anything to the harddrive) it is recommended trying it with more than 128MB Ram otherwise you could get problems...

CyberChuck

Graham L
16-12-2002, 03:59 PM
It's more likely to be a "clever" mouse, which Knoppix is trying to drive with software designed for standard mice. Have you got an old 2 button mouse you can try with it?

Chilling_Silence
16-12-2002, 04:03 PM
Same happens with me, It higlights the K bar icons and stuff.

I've got a PS2 A4Tech 2 wheel scroll mouse with a programmable button!

How would I fix that?

cyberchuck
16-12-2002, 04:06 PM
hmm...
When I tried it on the 'ol 166 (which has a serial mouse) it worked fine for me...
lagged like hell (that's what you get for trying to run knoppix on a 166Mhz, 24MB Ram computer)

CyberChuck

Graham L
16-12-2002, 05:55 PM
cyberc: Give it some more memory. It's not the CPU speed that's slowing it down, it will be memory starvation. ;-) Run top and have a look.

C-S The problem is that it's got a configuration pressed into the CD. If you know where to do it, a tiny hammer and chisel to modify the bit pattern ... :D I'd try a simple mouse.

segfault
16-12-2002, 06:22 PM
Sounds like the X server is trying to use the IMPS/2 protocol for your mouse (Which should allow your scroll wheels to work). But I've had the same mouse (Rebranded to AOpen) but I've never been able to get the scroll wheels to work and had to change to the PS/2 protocol for it to work (without the scroll wheels unfortunately)

tango
16-12-2002, 10:29 PM
I've got 256 DDR RAM, that should be plenty. I'm using what I think is called an MS internet intelliemouse? it's a ball mouse, with a wheel and two extra buttons, one on each side. I'll try using an older mouse. thanks:)

Blue_face
16-12-2002, 10:37 PM
Same thing happened to me as well. I have a Microsoft optical mouse. usb/ps2 compatible. My personal opinion is... linux dont like microsoft... hehe... :D

Chilling_Silence
17-12-2002, 09:27 AM
>
> My personal
> opinion is... linux dont like microsoft... hehe...
> :D

And vice-versa, I dont think that ol' bill has been feeling too friendly towards the "Opposition Party" at all recently (Or ever for that matter)

yang11
17-12-2002, 09:41 AM
for some weird reason, some linux distr got mouse problems with certain machine type.