PDA

View Full Version : How to reformat

Gigo
13-12-2002, 09:00 PM
Just to check I am reformmating my pc the right way!

1. Backup files you want to keep.
2. Create boot disc.
3. Insert Boot disc in drive while starting up pc.
4. Type 'reformat C:' - Is that correct is it another command?

Then wait for conformation

5. Reinstall Windows via boot by CD or automatic loading.

Then have fun installing drivers etc!

Thanks!

Blue_face
13-12-2002, 09:12 PM
Part 4. The correct command is "format c:". Others are all fine. Hope u'll have fun with all that :)

Gigo
13-12-2002, 09:12 PM
format c: duh!

cyberchuck
13-12-2002, 09:20 PM
Hey

Also make sure that you have a copy of all the drivers you need - especially modem drivers - there's nothing worse than having an incorrect driver for a device and not been able to go on the net to download one

Have Fun

CyberChuck

Susan B
13-12-2002, 09:35 PM
The forum has a really handy set of FAQs on various things and you'll find one or two relevant ones worth reading if you check them out. The link is at the top right of this page. :-)

Heather P
13-12-2002, 10:49 PM
and don't forget to backup obscure files like "Favorites", "Address Book", "Emails" and any custom Templates.
Usually well hidden in the Windows folder and easy to overlook.

paradox
13-12-2002, 11:11 PM
By the way....what's the best way to to replace "Favourites" after a re-install? I copy the folder to a disc but when I paste it to the windows folder in the new install it gets lumped in with what came with the browser. I tried deleting "Favourites" in the new install before pasteing
saved version back but I think windows refused to do the delete. I think I ended up deleting all the unwanted entries one at a time. There's got to be a neater way. Cheers Ken.

Susan B
14-12-2002, 06:51 PM
I can't understand why pasting your Favorites "gets lumped in with what came with the browser" because mine just asks me if I want to replace the existing Favorites and I say Yes and it does. Never had any problems doing this - it's easy as.

For ease of backup I cut and paste the Favorites folder out of the Windows folder and drag it to where I've got my data. Then I cut and paste my backup to replace the browser's one.