PDA

View Full Version : Replacing CD-ROM with CD-RW

nzotago
13-12-2002, 07:59 PM
Hello All,

I am very keen on getting a CD-RW drive and having been looking at external options but was wondering if replacing my old CD_ROM drive (I only have two 5.25 bays) is a viable option for someone with middle of the road computer skills.

Anyone with advice on this or if you know of information on the net I would greatly appreciate it.

Merry Xmas

Nathan

cyberchuck
13-12-2002, 08:18 PM
Hey

So your familiar with changing hardware in your PC then??? I would personally go for it and make the upgrade. However, a few rules to remember:

1) download the latest drivers from the CDRW manufacterers website and use them
2) remeber to remove your current CDRom from Windows before you remove it from the system (and even BIOS if your up to it - if not don't worry - BIOS should update itself)
3) If your computer came with an "Upgrade Manual" take a look at that - it often contains useless information that idiots like me forget (not to mention a good way of doing it)

Also - whatever happens make sure you keep the power cord plugged into the wall and the computer while you "attack" it. Even if it's not turned on it will ground the computer (and save you the hassle and disappointment of frying something)

CyberChuck

Susan B
13-12-2002, 08:25 PM
Well I've only got middle of the road computer skills and I installed my own CD-RW drive. :-)

If you regularly get PC World magazines you'll find a back issue within the last year on how to do it, otherwise do a search on Google for "How to install a CD-RW drive". This site (http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/answerstips/story/0,24330,2105838,00.html) looks like it might be useful but there aren't any pictures unfortunately.

Be aware that if you plan to use your CD-RW like a CD-ROM for playing games, etc then the laser will wear out much quicker than a CD-ROM one will as they are different.

fergie
13-12-2002, 08:25 PM
hi
u say u have 2 bays, is there anything in the other?
U couldjust put the CD-RW in there (if its free) and it would be heaps easier, plus, u could would get a longer lasting CD-RW by only using it for writing cd's, and using the Cd-rom for reading

vk_dre
14-12-2002, 09:12 AM
and also if u do what was suggested by fergie make sure u know which one u want to be Primary and which one u want to be Secondary/Slave.

nzotago
16-12-2002, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the advice all, I have an anti-static wrist strap thingy so fingers crossed I neither fry nor blow up any vital components.

Actually I only have one bay, the others the hard drive, my beast is an old PC General brought days before they went bust (lucky me) so not much in the way of expansion room.

Thanks Again

Nathan

nzotago
17-12-2002, 06:51 AM
One more Question,

How exactly do I remove my current cd-rom drive from windows and the bios?

Apparently I should maybe consider myself a little to the left of the road.

crozier
17-12-2002, 07:00 AM
>How exactly do I remove my current cd-rom drive from windows and the bios?

You don't need to, it's detected when you start the computer. The the new one will be detected instead.

nzotago
17-12-2002, 10:28 AM
Thank you all for your assistance, the new drive is in and working fine. Will be back when I try and do the whole thing.

Thanks Again

Nathan