PDA

View Full Version : hot swap and software

gerardkean
13-12-2002, 11:39 AM
I need a starting point

If a removable drive is going to be used as a secondry drive with windows on the primary drive. What do I need to know about the nessary software of windows setting for this?

Google hasn't been helping as much as it usually does. Can someone point me in the right direction please.

godfather
13-12-2002, 12:05 PM
I assume by the title of your post you want to "hot swap" secondary HDD's?

I have removeable HDD caddies in my PC's for backup, but find you cannot "hot swap" (despite the power being switched off the HDD) without hanging Windows. Using XP, and it *really* doesn't like it. It recovers itself OK, but tells you about it.

As far as I know you would need a hardware "Raid" implementation to achieve reliable hot-swap?

gerardkean
13-12-2002, 02:25 PM
I was afraid someone was going to say that. The origional idea was to have the removable drive as primary. Different OS's on each drive. But I was asked to investigate using it as a secondry drive.

wuppo
13-12-2002, 03:58 PM
Microsofts offering on the subject:

Can I enable hot swap of an IDE hard drive in Windows?
The electrical characteristics of the existing IDE hard drive (ATAPI specification) were not designed to handle hot removal or addition. If a vendor wishes to implement hot swap IDE support (for example, for a laptop bay), the following guidelines must be met to take advantage of built-in Windows support:

Hot swap support for IDE devices must be managed through an ACPI BIOS.
System must provide electrical isolation, controllable through an ACPI BIOS.
Presence/absence of the drive (independent of isolation) must be detectable through an ACPI BIOS.
One drive per channel.
Vendors should restrict themselves to drives that accept ATA FLUSH commands.
Note that not all IDE drives accept ATA Flush commands.

IDE hot swap support should be implemented using a Latch/LED-driven ejection system controlled through an ACPI BIOS. Cable-style surprise removal of IDE devices is not supported by the ATA controller specification or by Windows.

Note that this restriction might not apply to IDE RAID controllers for some RAID modes.