PDA

View Full Version : Uh oh. Win95 won't boot.

*Sparky*
13-12-2002, 12:24 AM
Howdy folks.
Having a play on my old 16mb Compaq Prolinea last night running win95. I have a small H drive and C drive. Not much room on H drive so cut and paste a couple of files over to the bigger C drive. Now when I turn it on I get a message saying:

"Invalid system disk.
Replace the disk and then press any key."

There isn't a disk in the A drive. I didn't have a boot disk (silly me) so copied one from Bootdisk.com No luck.

The message is displayed before "Safe Mode" is accessible, so cant get in to put the pasted files back.

Any suggestions on how to fix?
Much appreciated.

If it aint broke, dont fix it.

*Sparky*
13-12-2002, 12:38 AM
PS: I dont have the original setup disks either.

-=JM=-
13-12-2002, 01:21 AM
Can you remember what files you copied from where to where.

cyberchuck
13-12-2002, 05:42 AM
Hye

In theory you could use MSDOS to replace/move/copy over the files that you copied... I've done it countless occasions - thing is MSDOS isn't the most friendliest OS to work with (most stable MS release though :D )

What did you copy over?? - Wasn't explorer.exe or a few .dll files was it?? Because if you want to change your bootup drive your going to have to edit the registry (Learnt that the hard way) - otherwise you get the "Invalid System Disk.... System Disk not present.... Registry Error Messages"

CyberChuck

Susan B
13-12-2002, 07:21 AM
How about putting those files back again and/or restoring the last known good copy of the registry?

The Registry FAQ tells you how if you need a refresher.

wuppo
13-12-2002, 07:29 AM
From memory, an 'H' drive was the host drive for a compressed volume. The 'C' drive was a compressed file on the disk, managed by the compression software. Both 'H' and 'C' "drives" are on the same volume. The 'H' drive appears only sufficiently large enough to hold the startup files, after which the compression software handles the 'C' drive. If you have moved files from the 'H' drive, you have probably moved essential boot files into the compressed volume.

The only way to recover, then would be a boot disk with the same compression software installed, but I think there are installation specific parameters that have to be known for a successful boot.

CYaBro
13-12-2002, 07:34 AM
You got it wuppo. Drive H was the default drive letter after you compressed your hard drive. The C: would then be a big file on H: and the only files that were usually usuable on H: were boot / system files and the windows swap file (which wouldn't work on a compressed drive)

*Sparky*
13-12-2002, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the good info guys.

JM: Sort of, but not exactly.
cyberchuck: If I could access C drive, I could put them back, but I cant even get to safe mode. All I can get, by interrupting the wrong bootdisk, is a:\ Not much use. If I change to c:\ everything is a bad command.
Susan B: Cant access registry on C drive.

I think wuppo and cyabro hit the nail on the head.
Any more ideas?

A mate at work still has the instal floppies, 24 of them, so might have to do that.

wuppo
13-12-2002, 06:45 PM
Try downloading and creating a dos6.22 (http://www.bootdisk.com/original.htm) bootdisk. Boot up to dos and issue the command:

scandisk /mount

If this is successful, you will have a C: drive which is your H: drive in win95, and another drive, which is your C: drive in win95. If this works, try to restore the files that you origionally moved off the H: drive.

Graham L
14-12-2002, 01:40 PM
It does need the driver for the compressed disk loaded by config.sys . It might be recoverable. It could be simplest to do a reload. :D

That's the trouble with disk compression ... all the eggs are in one basket, and when it is dropped you are in omelette territory.:_| (At worst, scrambled egg time). ;-)

*Sparky*
14-12-2002, 07:44 PM
It looks as if it is scrambled egg time Graham. :_|

I've tried all the dos commands I can think of, but c drive isn't being recognised.

Oh well. Live and learn