PDA

View Full Version : Please check my site exists

Heather P
12-12-2002, 10:15 AM
I recently changed my website hosting from ihug to Netsmart.

Connecting through ihug I come up with an ihug page telling me I can host with them rather than my site. Netsmart tell me that the changes have happened but ihug haven't properly released it.

Apparently if I log on through a different ISP I'll see it. Can someone please check it out for me and confirm this is correct (stating their ISP)? It would also be interesting to see if it's just my login or all ihug customers who can't see it.

http://www.details.co.nz

(and I know the site needs work - been busy on some other ones lately)

SKT174
12-12-2002, 10:17 AM
Site exists :) and every link worked .. feeling much better :D ?

Cheers

Heather P
12-12-2002, 10:20 AM
Thanks for that,

I'll now ring ihug...

merlin-nz
12-12-2002, 10:54 AM
Hi Heather,

Two Links not working for me:
Waiheke Island Holiday Accommodation and Wanganui River.

All other links worked fine I'm using Opera 6.0

cheers merlin-nz ;-)

cyberchuck
12-12-2002, 10:58 AM
Hey

Works fine via Xtra...

CyberChuck

crozier
12-12-2002, 10:59 AM
Waiheke Island Holiday Accommodation, Wanganui River and The Parrots didn't work for me IE5.5

mark c
12-12-2002, 11:01 AM
Well it all worked for me using e3 as the ISP and Opera 6.01 as the browser. Checked every link except the ones to your customers.

Nice site, clear and straight forward. No dancing bears or flashing lights.

mark :D c

Pauline
12-12-2002, 11:13 AM
Hi Heather,
Everything worked my end. Using Opera 6.2
Pauline.

Pauline
12-12-2002, 11:15 AM
Forgot to say I'm with Clear.
Pauline.

Heather P
12-12-2002, 11:34 AM
Thanks guys,

It appears the problem is with my computer. Somehow it has cached the ihug link - and I am driving myself nuts trying to clear the cache.

Celerons really shouldn't run a Cold Fusion server, Win Proxy, Nortons, Satellite software, PWS, MSN (kids!) etc etc and then expect to work properly! I really feel it is a trifle overloaded at the best of times.

Thanks for the reminders about the missing folders. When I uploaded to Netsmart I moved the major directories with the intention of a cleanup once it was all done (there were several obscure folders containing all sorts of odds and sods). Obviously missed some critical ones, will have to fix it.

I'm part way through a re-do of the site but have been sidetracked into a client's site.

Smurf
12-12-2002, 11:41 AM
Hi Heather,

I am with Paradise and using Opera 6.5. I was able to access your site and all the links with the exception of Waiheke Island and Wanganui.
Cheers
smurf

Heather P
12-12-2002, 12:33 PM
I've put back the 3 folders that were missing
<memory add - always use same folder name and structure on website that you use on your hard drive!.>

I've spent the last couple of hours searching out caches, clearing them, finding they were still there, clearing them again, fiddling with settings, re-fiddling with settings - and I still can't see the site!

I personally think it's my computer and that it's time for a spot of heavy maintenance but if anyone who uses ihug can confirm that they can see the site it would be great.

Will have to abandon this for a while though and do some work.

Clueless
12-12-2002, 01:12 PM
You dont have a host file entry pointing your computer to the old location by any chance do you?

.Clueless

Heather P
12-12-2002, 01:19 PM
I can't find one - I looked.

Baldy
12-12-2002, 01:20 PM
Hi Heather

Everything opened fine...... IE5.5

-=JM=-
12-12-2002, 01:29 PM
Works fine with Snap

Heather P
12-12-2002, 01:40 PM
I'm about ready to abandon computers! First, everyone can see my site but me.

Then I went to upload some files to my client's site - to find she'd changed her password overnight.
Sorted that, now her shopping cart falls over (me or the password? have emailed her host for help)!

Think it's time for lunch!

Mary H
12-12-2002, 03:41 PM
Heather,

Have you tried doing a hard refresh??
(Ctrl-F5 in IE, Ctrl-R in Netscape)

craig_b
12-12-2002, 05:19 PM
Hey Heather, if you want the cache in IE to work how you want it to, go into the internet options, and into "temporary internet files" settings tab and set the "Check for newer versions of stored pages" to "Every time I visit"

I had exactly the same problem as you when I started developing websites myself, and this seemed to fix the problem.

Craig.

Heather P
12-12-2002, 05:32 PM
Thanks. I thought a hard refresh was shift F5 (close but not quite!) but control F5 didn't do it either.

The settings are checked for new page each time (both in IE and the proxy).

http://www.details.co.nz/index.htm brings up page not found.
http://www.details.co.nz brings up the ihug page.

My client's shopping cart is also having problems with a cold fusion page - it doesn't display. I've checked with the host and it works for him so it sounds like it's local to here.

To add to my woes I went to get lunch, found the crackers, added the relish... and found we'd run out of cheese.

At least it's raining!

Some heavy duty maintanance coming up on this machine
<heads off to garage to find axe...>

Clueless
12-12-2002, 05:53 PM
Love to hear form someone else using IHUG as it seems to be an IHUG problem.. Perhaps somewhere in there proxies they have a wee note pointing your domain to thier server still.

It wouldn't be the first time... Remember when all the free internet providers came out, and all the ihug customers weren't allowed to see free internet providers web pages?

.Clueless

Heather P
12-12-2002, 06:01 PM
I rang ihug earlier and they swore they could see my pages (and said the background was green which it is). Presumably they use their own service to access the net?

Have just fired up a second machine and had the same problem. But it is on the network and using the win proxy through this machine.

I think that after dinner - lunch was a bit light due to lack of cheese and I'm hungry - I'll uninstall and reinstall the proxy.

If there are any ihug users out there who want to confirm that it's not ihug it would be good.

sal
12-12-2002, 06:22 PM
im on ihug :D
and…yup, i can see it, i assume its ur network then Heather,

grtz sal.
tga

Heather P
12-12-2002, 06:45 PM
Excellent Sal, thanks.

By now I was around 98% positive it was me, you've now confirmed it. One reinstallation of WinProxy coming up! (which should help take my mind off whether it is going to rain heavily or not).

Greg S
12-12-2002, 07:07 PM
Hey Feather - host with me! I bet you'd not have any migration problems if you did. AND, I could give you as competitive a rate as you're getting, as well as discounts for your clients! Huh? Huh? :)

Clueless
12-12-2002, 07:14 PM
Hey Heather...
You sure this wasn't just a scam to get your hit counter moving?

:p

.Clueless

Heather P
12-12-2002, 08:27 PM
Sorry Greg, there were some pretty good reasons for going to Netsmart.

My boss has his major e-commerce site with them (if I use them then it helps at work cause I understand the systems), his reports of their service is glowing and they provide excellent support. I've also got asp and ColdFusion support AND a free excellent shopping cart (now all I need to do is figure out what brilliant service I can provide that will convince people to contribute vast somes of money in my direction. It could take a while till I figure that one out and activate it, but it's there!)

No Chris, I'm not out to make the hit counter move. I've been tinkering with a change to the home page which will probably lead to some re-writing and re-formatting (but no dancing bears). Once that's done it will be the time to shamelessly promote it!

Heather P
12-12-2002, 08:54 PM
Relief!

Uninstalled WinProxy and can now see the site. I'd told it to clear it's cache and check for new pages on each visit but it didn't do what it was told. Removing it has solved the problem.

Have also checked my client's shopping cart and that now works too.

Now to reinstall the proxy so the network can see the Net again (Internet Connection sharing doesn't work with Ultra thus the proxy).

Greg S
12-12-2002, 09:27 PM
Well thanks for [not?] considering it, Heather. Ah well - at least tell us where we can see an example of the shopping cart in action? I have two free ones, but I could be persuaded to subscribe to another's if it's really great.

"coldfusion" - have you found it's a much demanded feature? I haven't had a request for it yet in nearly two years.

I don't offer much support for ASP at this stage, so p'haps your decision's best.

Heather P
12-12-2002, 09:49 PM
Hi Greg,

Our work site is ColdFusion so yes, I have quite a lot to do with cfm.

The Shopping Cart was created by Netsmart for use by their customers. To see it in action head off to a (non-geek) site and have a look. My client and I are still adding things to it, a process that seems to be happening daily at the moment.

http://www.redpoppy.co.nz/

(In case you're confused - I work part-time and create websites for others on other days)