PDA

View Full Version : DVD problems

Maarten
12-12-2002, 08:09 AM
I have posted here before about my DVD's problems - skipping while playing any video file, on a DVD or CD, game or movie - but the fix didn't help. It has nothing to do with WinDVD, the skipping happens outside of that program as well. Usually the sound turns off for a second, and turns back on, and in some applications it's worse than others. The video also skips a bit. I have an AMD Athlon 1.4 Ghz with 512Mb RAM, a 64Mb GeForce 2 MX400 and Windows ME. The DVD drive is a Pioneer DVD-116. Thanks in advance for any help!

tweak\'e
12-12-2002, 08:42 AM
please try to use your last username as i'm not keen on searching through 1400 dvd posts to find details of your last post.

is it ony skipping when playing files off the DVD/CD or any video in general?

is DMA enabled for dvd and harddrive? what sound card do you have?

how is the dvd drive and hardrive connected?

Maarten
12-12-2002, 11:19 AM
here's the old post: http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=20069&message=50253&q=DVD+skipping#50253

Yes, the movies only skip when I'm playing movies off the CD/DVD in the DVD in the hard drive.

DMA is disabled on both the HDD and the DVD drives.

I have no idea how the HDD and the DVD are connected, how do I find it out? Do I have to open the computer up or something?

Thanks in advance!

utopia
12-12-2002, 11:29 AM
> please try to use your last username as i'm not keen
> on searching through 1400 dvd posts to find details
> of your last post.
>
> is it ony skipping when playing files off the DVD/CD
> or any video in general?
>
> is DMA enabled for dvd and harddrive? what sound card
> do you have?
>
> how is the dvd drive and hardrive connected?

When tweak'e said " How is the dvd drive and hardrive connected?", I guess he meant "Does the drives share the same IDE slot (Shared) or different IDE slot (Not shared).

You should be able to figure it out easily if you set IDE drive detection to "Auto" in the BIOS and reboot.

Setting the IDE Drive detection to "Auto" in the BIOS varies between different BIOS types and how "new" the BIOS is.

Maarten
12-12-2002, 11:30 AM
And I have a creative Sound Blaster PCI (WDM)

tweak\'e
12-12-2002, 11:33 AM
DMA needs to be enabled for the hardrive and dvd drive.

usually you can tell when the pc boots up as it displays which ide the drives are connected to. if all esle fails open the case and take a look. also check what cable is used ie 40wire or 80 wire. most dvd drives run better with a 80wire ide cable.

tweak\'e
12-12-2002, 11:35 AM
if you have sb16 emulation try disableing it or set it to "allow lpt sharing". then go enable the DMA for hardrive and dvd.

Maarten
12-12-2002, 12:40 PM
Thank you! Finally, the DMA setting on the HDD was the thing skipping my DVDs/CDs all along! I popped in the StarCraft CD (it skips the worst), and got through the intro movie without skipping once! After that I put in a DVD, and it worked perfect as well! Thank you all so much for your help!