PDA

View Full Version : please explain

JJJJJ
11-12-2002, 12:39 PM
I run ad-aware every morning and usualy find nothing.This morning when I started my comp. a little box popped up telling me it was checking my time against an atomic clock.Investigating further I found two programs, "precision time" amd "gain" installed. I most definately did not install them and there is no one else here to install them. I uninstalled them both and then ran ad-aware. It found 33 files all wanting to phone home. Needless to say they are now history.
But how can programs install themselves without me being aware of them? Most of the files had "gator" as part of their name.
Jack

Biggles
11-12-2002, 12:51 PM
http://www.gator.com/about/

Just do a search in Pressf1 for gator and you'll find plenty about it. The nasty thing is it probably got installed as part of some other software you installed without you even realising it ....

bmason
11-12-2002, 12:53 PM
I don't run IE so I only see the results on other peoples systems...

I think they either exploit security holes in the browser (goto www.windowsupdate.com and get upto date). Or at some stage you chose "always trust stuff from $DODGY_COMPANY" when it prompted you to install something from them.

cyberchuck
11-12-2002, 02:57 PM
Hey

Don't forget the PCWorld article about P2P File Sharing by Scott Bartley.. On Page 72 of this months/Janurarys magazine it's an interesting article

CyberChuck