PDA

View Full Version : Monitor or Vision Prob.

olldaddy76
11-12-2002, 08:52 AM
I am using a Philips monitor 19" about 4 years old... I appear to be getting warmth in my face but wonder whether I am imagining it.
Has any one else had this happen and if so is it significant radiarion? If it is radiation?

cyberchuck
11-12-2002, 09:11 AM
Hey

It shouldn't be radiation... That (supposedly) only comes out the back of monitors (Grandmother works at OSH)

If you put your face extremely close (ie 2 cm from) your monitor screen you may get heat... that's because like a PC it gets hot...

Also on the back of the monitor with the airholes you may feel heat... that's what the air holes are for - cooling

What time(s) has this happened? - Approx will do

godfather
11-12-2002, 09:23 AM
olldaddy, there is heaps of info available on the web.
below is a sample.
Minute X-Ray radiation from front, Electromagnetic from the side and rear are the main ones.

I doubt they would cause warming of the face. However, look closely at the glass. If you can see marks where your nose has been pressed up against the screen, then new glasses may assist?

:D

X-Ray Radiation-ionizing radiation

Low energy x-rays are produced by the cathode ray tube and electronic circuitry when the lighted letters and graphics are created on the screen. Almost all of the x-rays are absorbed inside the cathode ray tube or are blocked by the glass. Only an insignificant amount is detectable outside of the unit. It should be noted that low energy x-rays can not penetrate paper.

Ultraviolet (UV) and Infrared Radiation (IR) non-ionizing radiation

UV and IR radiation are produced by the monitor, but at levels well below established health and safety standards. Although non-ionizing radiation is associated with cataracts, the low levels from computers are of no concern. There is no scientific link between cataracts and computer use.

Radio Frequency and Microwave Radiation

These non-ionizing forms of radiation are produced by the high voltage electrical components in the computer. The emissions of radio waves are weaker than actual broadcast signals and the computer is not capable of generating significant microwave radiation.

Electromagnetic Fields (EMF's)

EMF's are produced by the electrical circuits of the computer. Levels are lower than those produced by hair dryers or other household appliances and there is no scientific data linking EMF's to harmful biological effects to humans.

olldaddy76
11-12-2002, 10:09 AM
Thanks all who have responded to this thread....It happens as I have got older but the monitor has got older. I think it maybe the aging process where bright sky and the contrast on the screen effects the eyes.
How do I make the screen less bright or is this not possible....This problem could the answer to many of us of aging.......and loving it.....
We have no choice so accept the day and ENJOY..

godfather
11-12-2002, 10:19 AM
There should be brightness and contrast controls on the monitor.
Usually on the front, perhaps under a flip down cover.

Most people complain about lack of brightness as monitors age, so you have a lot of life left in that one.

I use LCD monitors, no eyestrain, as no "flicker". Just horrendously expensive.

Check you refresh rate (right click on the desktop - not on an icon - and select properties - settings - advanced)

Check your refresh rate, it should be as high as it will allow, perhaps 85 Hz.

If it is 60, for instance, that will cause eyestrain as the monitor refreshes the image 60 times a second which causes subliminal "flicker"