PDA

View Full Version : Change Raster, Vector Settings

marksuth
11-12-2002, 09:49 AM
My OS is Windows XP and I have attached to my PC, a HP Deskjet 695C printer.
I have been using a programme called Sierra Generation to create a family tree. When I come to generating a chart, all I get is a black screen. On checking help solutions I am told that I must change my printer settings to vector, instead of raster graphics. I have gone into my printer properties and can not find any reference to these settings. I have uninstalled my printer and then installed it again, but no difference. I have printed these charts before with no problems, but obviously a setting has changed. Can you help?

godfather
11-12-2002, 10:43 AM
I stand to be corrected, but vector graphics are associated with plotter type printers (large format printers).

Not sure that a standard inkjet can output them?

Jim B
11-12-2002, 10:55 AM
. In Properties there should be a Graphics tab, where you can select Vector graphics.

Graham L
11-12-2002, 04:29 PM
Aha, HPGL (HP Graphic Language) strikes again. :D It's probably still there on a lot of HP (and other) printers. It was used on the plotters, but it was so useful it soon got other uses. I've even writtten a programme to take an HPGL file and display it on a screen.

marksuth
12-12-2002, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the replies, however I can not locate a graphics tab in printer properties. What is HPGL and how do I use it in an attempt to resolve my problem?

Graham L
12-12-2002, 03:53 PM
It seems that HPGL is included as part of PCL, which is HP's newer (15 years old :D) page description language, which is what their printers use.

So it ought to print. ;-)

Here's a couple of links which will tell you about HPGL: http://www.swiftview.com/pclcorner/pclcorner1.htm , and http://www.cad2cam.com/hpgl/hpgl.htm .

"hpgl" to google.co.nz gave these ... on the third page of output there is a Microsoft link, which points to a filter which accepts HPGL input to Word97 . But you shouldn't have to go to these extremes ... it's almost certainly some trivial little (well hidden :D) setting in your printer driver.

Try doing a "print to file" and post a couple of lines from the file if you are still having problems ... I can probably identify it.

Terry Porritt
12-12-2002, 04:06 PM
HP-GL and HP-GL/2 are vector graphics program languages as Graham said, and are used to control vector based pen-plotters The language commands consist of a set of simple instructionslike EP for edge polygon, FP for fill polygon, PU for pen up, and a heap more.

This is not going to help you though :)

You have to determine the output format of your program and whether it is only HPGL, or whether you can select the output format. If the program output is only vector graphics and your printer wont support HP-GL (or HP-GL/2), then you have problems. You would need a pen plotter to draw the tree.

This would be unlikely I'd have thought, but the answer must lie in the program documentation.

(As an aside, I use a scanner to copy printed circuit board track diagrams, a raster to vector converter, and then a pen plotter to draw the tracks directly onto copper pcb. Useful for one off electronic projects)