PDA

View Full Version : no sound on Ecards

poppy
10-12-2002, 05:50 PM
I run IE6, Netscape 7 Outlook Express 6 on a Pentium 4. I find that when I send and/or receive E-cards I cannot get the music attached to them. (But I believe that the ones I send have music which can be heard). I have MediaPlayer and Real Player and regularly listen to radio stations without any problem. Any help would be gratefully received.

Oxie
10-12-2002, 06:49 PM
Poppy,
Can you hear any midi files when you visit a webpage that play midi files? If you are unsure visit http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~bartonl/index and see if you can hear the music in both IE6 and Netscape 7.

poppy
11-12-2002, 09:34 AM
hello Oxie
Unfortunately i couldn't access that web page..... it said it couldn't be found. Cheers
Poppy

godfather
11-12-2002, 10:57 AM
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~bartonl/index.htm

Check all volume settings. Click on the volume icon near the clock, or go to control panel - sounds - advanced.

There can be up to 14 volume controls in some systems, particularly check "wave" settings, that there are no ticks in "mute" and that the sliders are not at the bottom.

poppy
12-12-2002, 12:09 PM
sorry to take so long to get back to you. Am still having trouble. It appears that I either have no midi files on my hard drive or what is there might be corrupt. My friendly (overworked) computer technician told me to go to a web site and download. How do I download others, can you run this by step by step? Thanks a million.

godfather
12-12-2002, 01:38 PM
The "files" are the driver files for your soundcard (or motherboard, for on-board sound)

To be able to direct you to the site, we need to know what motherboard is in your computer, or what sound card you have.

You could start by telling us what type of PC it is. If its a "brand name" (HP, Packard Bell, Compaq etc) then also the exact model number (such as HP 8208) and any other details you may have.

If it was a "built to order" PC, then you should have a manual for the motherboard which will have the type on it.

One step at a time.

Did you find ALL the volume controls?

Oxie
12-12-2002, 01:39 PM
Poppy, did you check the link Godfather posted (my correct URL) to see if you could hear the midi file? When someone sends you an e-card the midi is attached, so you would not have it on your computer before the card arrived. You need to establish if you can play midi files.

poppy
12-12-2002, 03:47 PM
yes i accessed the correct web addess and no I did not hear any midi files. I have a P4 Titan socket 478 motherboard which is only months old. my computer is a made up one from Millenium Technology in Hamilton.

poppy
12-12-2002, 03:50 PM
P.S I don't think I found ALL the volume controls. I'm a bit thick when it comes to groping round the functions of a computer

tweak\'e
12-12-2002, 03:55 PM
the odds are you have a sound card that dosn't play midi files. go into mulitmedia prooperties and look under midi and see if anything is listed. otherwise get a sound card that plays midi.

otherwise post details of sound card, OS etc.

poppy
12-12-2002, 04:26 PM
I'm really groping in the dark here. I cannot remember where to go to get the System info. But does SiS 7012 Audio Utility mean anything for the sound card? I have Win 98 on a GenuineIntel with 256 mb RAM. By the way, on the PcWorld banner above, I get the sound of sleigh bells when the reindeer pass through.

SKT174
12-12-2002, 04:59 PM
Umm.. it's been a long time since I've used 98 ... so I can't exactly remember but I'll give it a try anyway :D

In control panel , there should be something called Sounds and Multimedia or something like that (told ya i can't remember) once to open that, you should be able to see some tabs that says ...

Sound / Audio / Video / Devices

Click on the Audio Tab

at the bottom there should be something that says

MIDI Music Playback
Preferred Device

See what is your Preferred Device

Common ones are : Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth
MPU-401

After that, click on the Device Tab and expand the MIDI Devices & Instruments tree and see what is there.

Cheers :D

godfather
12-12-2002, 05:06 PM
Before you perform open heart surgery on the PC, find the volume controls.

When you double click on the volume icon next to the clock (or open Sounds in control panel)

In properties, tick ALL the boxes for now.
There are 15 in mine. (you may have less, and they don't all apply)

I would guess the important ones at this stage are
Volume
Wave

They should NOT have a tick in the "mute" box.

SiS 7012 will be your on-board Audio chipset, well done!

As Tweak'e has said however, not all sound chipsets support MIDI files.

Oxie
12-12-2002, 08:29 PM
Poppy obviously does have sound if she can hear the bells with santa. Does anyone know what file format the bells are in as this might be a clue as to why she can't hear midi files?

Poppy you mentioned you had both Internet Explorer and Netscape. Can you hear midi files in one but not the other?

godfather
12-12-2002, 08:54 PM
The ads on this site use MacroMedia Flash, so they may not be a good indicator.

Its often just the appropriate volume setting muted or turned right down, or that the sound card does not support the feature.

poppy
13-12-2002, 09:47 AM
thanks guys, it'll take me a while but I'll look in to all your suggestions and report back. Hopefully with some progress. Cheers