PDA

View Full Version : cd rom wont load

kirrie kiwi
10-12-2002, 03:36 PM
I am unable to load a cd into my cdrom.
For a while now it has being giving trouble
First it started to refuse to eject when button pressed, then I couldnt get it to read the cd,then it would only load the cd when pc was first booted up.
If the pc had been running for a while you cannot load a cd.
If you leave the cd in for a while it wont eject
now it wont load at all even on startup
I have tried cleaning the cd rom with a lens cleaner , I ysed a phillips cleaner disk. Any Ideas to fix would be welcome Cd rom is 50x acer 2 years old.

yang11
10-12-2002, 03:51 PM
if it is still under acer's warranty, better take it back.

my boss's customer took a dead atx ps back this morning, just one month before the warr expires, hehehe.

SKT174
10-12-2002, 04:04 PM
If it's 2 yrs old I doubt it's still under warranty :(

During POST, press pause or get into BIOS and then try to open/close the CD a few times ... if you can do that it might not be the CDROM's at fault. Could be some programs that's causing it.

godfather
10-12-2002, 04:05 PM
If it won't eject or open the drawer to allow a CD to be loaded it is unlikely to be related to a dirty laser or lens, its something much more fundamental. If it allows access while booting up, it soulds like its a driver issue. Delete the CD under Windows (Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager) then reboot. It should find the hardware and allow you to install it. You may need the CD that came with it, if Windows does not have a native driver. Or get one from the manufacturer website.