PDA

View Full Version : buzzing in microphone being used

effie C
10-12-2002, 12:09 PM
Hi,
I have had for some time a microphone which for a while I could use -talk say to Ashburton from Hamilton, then that ceased to work- I have asked why from F1 before - but the current problem is yesterday after some months of having the mic going ( but still not able to use it) yeterday I had a deep buzzing develope- the only way I was able to stop it was by lowering the microphone slide in "volume" to nothing and then was able to use the rest of the volume assets as normal - Why?
effie c

cyberchuck
10-12-2002, 12:18 PM
Hey

The microphone having to be muted will be because of feedback - your microphone receives noise, it comes out your speakers, goes back into your microphone, etc... This can be eaily solved by:
-> Moving your speakers
-> Reducing the volume of the speakers or microphone
-> Muting your microphone when not in use

Okay... as to why you cannot make calls with your Microphone anymore, could you please provide the following:
-> Your OS and what you use to make the calls
-> Your modem (and if it is a Voice Modem)

Thanks

CyberChuck

Terry Porritt
10-12-2002, 01:02 PM
Perhaps simply it is broken, ie a broken lead. Can you get another to try?

Maybe I'm thick, but could you explain how you had it "going" for some months, yet was not able to use it ?:| ?:|

effie C
10-12-2002, 02:30 PM
hi yes going ( tap the mic and it came over the speakers) but no way would transmit to outside is Ashburton

effie C
10-12-2002, 02:33 PM
Yes it must be a voice modem - remember it was in use not so long ago
What is OS ?

Billy T
10-12-2002, 02:58 PM
Hiya effie

Buzzing noises usually mean a broken earth connector or a plug not in far enough. Wave the microphone lead near to your monitor and if the buzzing gets louder, that's likely to be the cause. Try wiggling the lead into the mic or into the plug and see if that affects the buzz.

Cyberchuck is referring to feedback from speakers and that is a howl that will vary with volume setting. It will pretty much stop if you put your hand over the front of the mic so that's not likely to be your problem. Mind you, you should be using headphones anyway if you want a two-way conversation as any kind of useful volume level will cause feedback into the microphone.

OS is operating system e.g. Win98/se/me Widows 2000 Windows XP etc.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D

Bazza
10-12-2002, 04:35 PM
Microphone tip:
To avoid acoustic feedback, when using the mic in recording or talking programs, you DONT have to:

Move speakers
Reduce volume
Mute the mic
Use a headset

In Win95 or 98 (cant say about others) checkout the windows volume mixer settings. There are two separate mixers. The "Play control" controls what is heard from the speakers. Inputs here can be muted, so mute the mic.

Also look for the "Record control" (from play control goto options/properties). This controls the inputs to recording or talking programs. In this the input needs to be "Selected", so select the mic. Problem solved. No feedback.

Terry Porritt
10-12-2002, 04:48 PM
That's quite right Bazza concerning acoustic feedback. A headset or earphones is useful though for preventing echo, it is really disconcerting to hear your own voice coming back to you via the other parties speakers and microphone if they are not using earphones.

Bazza
10-12-2002, 05:15 PM
Thats a point Terry. The several talking programs I've used have all been 'push to talk', so both mics are never open at the same time.

I would be interested to know which programs you're using that have this echo effect, so I can be alert to this problem.

Thanks.

Terry Porritt
10-12-2002, 06:45 PM
Netmeeting is the one I had in mind Bazza, that is duplex sound. We tried Phonefree for a very little while and from memory that was also duplex.