PDA

View Full Version : Networking/ADSL Sharing

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
10-12-2002, 10:32 AM
First of all- DON'T LAUGH :8)

I am thinking of getting a network going when I get ADSL. I am wishing to get a router that will allow for ADSL. But for the networking side, will my P100, 32MB Ram, 850HDD, etc. (don't laugh!!!) be able to cope with sharing a ADSL connection with my other PIII 616 (as you can see, has been overclocked as well!) with 384MB ram, etc....

Will the older machine be capable enough of running ADSL? (silly question, but I need it to)

Also, which router is better, out of ONLY these two... Alcatel Speed Touch Pro (one without the hub) or D-Link Router (same)?

Many thanks once again, looking forward to asking more questions,

SKT174
10-12-2002, 10:36 AM
your P100 should be fine along with your PIII 616 and the rest.

Not sure about those 2 router as I haven't used them before :p

Chilling_Silence
10-12-2002, 10:45 AM
The P100 may have a little trouble with only 32MB RAM if you're pushing larger downloads to the other machine while using it yourself. I'd look into upping the RAM a little to at least 64MB. Otherwise, I dont see why not!

godfather
10-12-2002, 11:07 AM
Use an ADSL router, then there is no "sharing" overhead. Either PC can use the internet irrespective of the other being turned on.

Billy T
10-12-2002, 12:16 PM
Hiya sy

Nice to see you back.

I'm not laughing, old faithful is a P166 networked to a PIII 550 and two PIII 733s. ADSL runs just fine on all and I don't even know if my Nokia Ni500 is set up as a router or not. Maybe God can advise me how to find out. I used it straight out of the box so I got whatever Nokia set it up for.

Cheers

Bily 8-{) :D

godfather
10-12-2002, 12:39 PM
Billy, given that a reouter is a device that interconnects 2 networks, I guess it has to be a router. If your PC requests data from a website IP address, the router knows that the address is outside the LAN and interfaces with the other "network", the internet.

To check its NAT ability, try www.grc.com, and use the "shields up" tester available here (https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2)

Peter Coleman
10-12-2002, 01:11 PM
hi Sy,go for the Alcatel,a better quality unit than the D-Link,and if you are a fair distance from the exchange,it will stay up better.

Peter

Billy T
10-12-2002, 01:18 PM
Hi God

I got an "Internet connection refused" and "unable to connect with netbios" response from Shields Up, and "Probe My Ports" (gasp :O) showed all as closed but none in stealth. I used to get all Stealth responses on dial-up but since going to ADSL & the Nokia I don't anymore.

I am using ZA Pro for firewalling.

What is this telling me about NAT ability and do I smell a security FAQ coming on?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

SKT174
10-12-2002, 01:47 PM
I guess all your machines behind the router is protected ... ie. they all have those IP that outsiders can't see. The only place that is vunerable now is your ADSL router :D

godfather
10-12-2002, 02:01 PM
All mine come up as stealth, due to Network Address Translation.

I don't know if the Nokia does NAT. The Alcatel I use is set up that way out of the box. Just set username details and it works.

yang11
10-12-2002, 02:10 PM
hi there,

if you buy a ADSL router then it does not matter much with your computer speed. see www.dynalink.co.nz for more info. ADSL router(home version) is soooooooooo cheap now. so is a soho switch.

if your buy a PCI/USB adsl modem, check the specs first before you decide which machine to put in. and you also need to do the windows ICS thing to hook up more than two machines to the net.

I have seen nokia, dlink, dynalink routers before. I am more familar with dynalink since I got it at home. only fiddled with dlink router once, I am surprised that the admin web page response is slow. But I believe dlink router is good given its name. nokia is alright, it is not cheap. frankly I dont know which is better. I chose one by the price.

router+switch is the best solution for home/small office networking.,

happy surfing

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
10-12-2002, 03:16 PM
Thank you so much everybody for your replies, but I'm confused... ! ?:|

Alcatels at the moment I can get for much cheaper, "couple of tens of dollars", so should I just get Alcatel seeing as it isn't so bad and is cheaper?

Many thanks once again for your contribution, cheers ;-)

Graham L
10-12-2002, 04:17 PM
It looks as if the Alcatel is a good piece of gear. If the price is right ... :D

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
10-12-2002, 06:09 PM
Thank you very much once again for your advice, :-)

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
11-12-2002, 05:28 PM
any more suggestions before I settle... for... something....

Budda
12-12-2002, 08:03 AM
Once you have the router (be it Speedtouch pro or d-link dsl-504). This means that the router will be doing all the work and will not incur any load on either pc.

Personally i would go for the d-link (they are both about the $300 dollar mark depending where you go). D-link have a small range of their own products but make the internals for many other routers.

With regards to other routers: Nokia is pulling out of NZ, Speedtouch Pro are not going to be made anymore and are getting replaced, Dynalink is a small NZ brand not fully established in the adsl market.

So my recommendation is the d-link, easy to use and good features, and not bad price, with good backing.

Budda

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
12-12-2002, 11:20 AM
D-Link for $300? You're joking..... where from?

Many thanks once again,

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
12-12-2002, 11:38 AM
DSL504 is currently $571 at Dick Smiths. I have another question now,

Where about would someone think they would receive a same product as ones at Dick Smith for nearly half DSE's price (approximately. 48%)?

I don't think so, guess you need to check your facts a bit!!! ;-)

A look at the http://www.pricespy.co.nz website reveled that the DSL 504 was cheapest (usually for not always, as not all shops connected to Price Spy) at the price of $450.....

Now I think you're talking about the DSL500.... now that would cost $340...

How does these compare to $300?

Many thanks once again for your contribution.... looking forward to your reply, :-)

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
12-12-2002, 11:40 AM
>(usually for not always, as not all shops connected to Price Spy)

sorry, bit wrong there, should read... (usually but not always, as not all shops connected to Price Spy)

Guess I need to go back to school too! ;-)