PDA

View Full Version : Computer slows down and then freezes when connecting to the internet

Guru
09-12-2002, 12:06 PM
My PC was running fine up until a couple of months ago when it began to lockup in various applications, particularly when connected to the internet and while cd burning.

It is a 12 month old Celeron 733 with 385Mb Ram and a 40Gb hard disk.

I formatted the hard disk and reinstalled Windows 98 plus configured the basic hardware - however when I attempted connecting to the internet it still freezes and crashes as soon as the connection is established - I checked the resource monitor under system tools and it goes up to 100% kernel processor usage during internet connection and stays there until the machine crashes - this is with nothing running but a clean install of Win 98 - no firewall or AV or anything.

Any ideas? does this sound like hardware or software?

What can I try to isolate the cause of the problem - as noted above machine was running fine before.

GrahamB
11-12-2002, 07:01 PM
It sounds to me like you have a modem problem. Any chance of borrowing an external modem for a trial?

Alternatively try to uninstall you modem and reinstall it.

HTH

Regards
Graham Bockett

roofus
11-12-2002, 07:31 PM
Yes a bad driver for the modem could be causing the problem. You need to get to the web site for your modem and download the latest drivers.