PDA

View Full Version : PSU prob

HitokiriX
07-12-2002, 10:47 PM
Ok my psu blew up i wuz watching tv (wuz running windows at the time Xp its a multi boot has 98 on the other partition) at the time it suddenly blew up i got a replacement from dicksmith a 300w (the original was 230w) an it blew that one up too so what on earth could be causing this??? an how can i correct it/is it worth fixing as this could get really costly

mb is a asus cuv4x-e with a intel celeron 700mhz chip in it

godfather
07-12-2002, 11:05 PM
Details!

How long did the new one last?
Did it "blow up" instantly?
Was the voltage selector set for 230 (220) or 110?

Did it really "blow up" or just stop working?

roofus
08-12-2002, 09:39 AM
Yes, if your second PSU blew up and it was because you had the wrong voltage setting then it can be fixed. All you would have done is blown the fuse within the PSU.

SKT174
08-12-2002, 09:46 AM
Believe it or not .. the fuse is the last thing to blow in my experience ?:|

roofus
08-12-2002, 09:49 AM
> Believe it or not .. the fuse is the last thing to
> blow in my experience ?:|
>
LOL interesting, kinda defeats the purpose then eh!
I've only ever blown a PSU once, and it was about 6 years ago on an AT case, i switched it to 110v to see what would happen, and all it did was blow the fuse. However i'm sure in the last few hours they have cut things out of the PSU to make them cheaper and so probably not as easy to rectify when things go wrong

SKT174
08-12-2002, 10:04 AM
Yeah roofus, I've noticed that the PSU nowadays are made of cheap cheap components. You can tell the quality difference between a old AT PSU and a new ATX PSU :|

HitokiriX
08-12-2002, 09:30 PM
didn't last long
yeah it blew up instantly
think it was set at 110

it really did blow up belive me there was a lot of smoke everywhere I gave it to a friend an he opened it up an there was some sort of sticky residue inside

godfather
08-12-2002, 09:46 PM
It sounds like a filter capacitor let go. If it was set on 110v, it would have stressed the capacitors way past their safety zone. The incoming mains (230 v AC) is rectified to DC, and when set to 110v the capacitors will fold real quick. The "residue" in the destroyed one is the electrolyte from inside the capacitors

To get back to your original question:

>Ok my psu blew up i wuz watching tv (wuz running windows at the >time Xp its a multi boot has 98 on the other partition) at the time it >suddenly blew up i got a replacement from dicksmith a 300w (the >original was 230w) an it blew that one up too so what on earth could >be causing this???

I think you know what blew up the second one?

>an how can i correct it/is it worth fixing as this could get really costly

If you haven't destroyed the motherboard (and chances are you haven't, but not guaranteed) you can correct it by fitting another PSU, and switch the voltage to suit NZ systems.