PDA

View Full Version : Computer Password

Baldy
07-12-2002, 06:15 PM
If I was to buy a second hand computer by auction, and it was password protected, hoiw would I disable the old password?

BALDY:-)

Steve Askew
07-12-2002, 06:32 PM
Hi Baldy, Most motherboards these days have a clear cmos jumper,failing that you can remove the battery for a short period & failing that there are programs around that will kill the password such as cmospwd.exe
I had to use cmospwd.exe recently & it took about 2 minutes to blow the password away.Only thing is you need to be able to boot from the floppy drive.
cheers Steve
PS: Thanks Terry Porritt for that wee program :-)

olldaddy76
07-12-2002, 07:26 PM
Hello BALDY
This is the first time I have been able to be helpful and I hope I am not wrong.
Go to FIND
Type in *.password
and when the password come up
DELETE and then
REBOOT.

godfather
07-12-2002, 07:45 PM
Sorry olldaddy76, but the password Baldy will be referring to is in the BIOS, which means it would stop the PC from ever getting to boot under Windows.

And under Windows, the passwords are in a .pwl file not a .password file.

Terry Porritt
07-12-2002, 07:47 PM
Hi Baldy, if it's a real auction and not an online one, it's almost a must to inspect before bidding, as such a lot of junk is often put into these auctions. (Often by computer retailer/repairers who are offloading their non-working rubbish). The terms of computer auctions are usually that the bidder is satisfied as to the quality of the goods. That being so then armed with screwdriver, boot disks and various utilities an assessment can be made. If the computer is password protected and you cant get into it then the utility Steve suggested can be used to get in. You can then always put another password on so that other potential bidders dont get the benefit of your expertise :)

Steve Askew
07-12-2002, 07:50 PM
Hi Baldy, I assumed that you were talking about the Bios password? as a few computers that are offered for sale at auctions have the bios password protected & usually the hdd"s are formated with nothing on them.
Cheers Steve

olldaddy76
07-12-2002, 08:09 PM
Yes godfather I am old but being old does not make me an undisputed PRO (as in previous printed word !!! on this site)
Sorry I meant to put *.pwf ...but I put in down to misplaced enthusiasm and the fact that for years and years i have only had one eye. If I had known it referred to the BIOS I would have not attempted to answer....... Give me another 20-30 in todays parlance !!! and maybe I will learn how to reply correctly....ever hopeful....

Graham L
08-12-2002, 02:47 PM
Terry: most auctioneers will allow you to lift the lids and have a look. But ask. They aren't all that keen on you using your own floppy, these days. If there is licenced software they don't want it virused.

AND THEY WILL NOT APPRECIATE YOU PASSWORDING THE BIOS.

Terry Porritt
08-12-2002, 04:22 PM
Basically you are quite right Graham, but it all depends on the auction and how it is run, what sort of stuff has been put in and in what sort of condition.

If its one of those auctions where the auctioneer doesnt know much about what he's auctioning and cant tell you the detail, then one is entitled to find out. After all, the terms are usually that by the act of bidding you are deemed to have satified yourself as to the goodness of the item.
If in order to do that, a password has to be removed, then one should be re-instated so that you leave it as you found it.

If the auction is more organised and formal, with computers having licensed software and are all up and running, and the auctioneer can tell you whats what, then there is generally no need to poke and probe and use your own utilities.

A lot depends on how you relate to the staff, as you say, always ask first.
Most times they will say yes.

One notable local exception to being amenable has now gone bung!