PDA

View Full Version : AVG 6.0 Anti-virus program - problem

davidosman
07-12-2002, 12:39 AM
Have installed AVG 6.0 recently and pleased so many PressF1 fans are so enthusiastic about it. The only problem is there is no technical support or advice unless you pay for it. I have one worry about the program - when it carries out a Complete Check and reports no viruses, that seems great - until you look at detailed test results and it lists (on my system) lots of directories that it hasn't checked because "access was denied". So that doesn't exactly fill be with confidence. Even worse, when you do a check on an individual file and it reports no virus, you can't check whether it actually even looked at the file as access may have been denied again. This happens when I get it to check files that PC-cillen has put in its Quaranteen folder; in theory these have a virus. Has AVG been denied access or has it simply failed to detect the virus?
Any advice welcomed.

waynecarp
07-12-2002, 06:37 AM
If you want a complete and thorough scan use Panda Activescan
http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/

cheers

floppy
07-12-2002, 08:31 AM
That is really interesting. I canít say I have noticed it.

I am sure their is a logical and sensible reason why it fails to check/scan those files. It does seem very questionable...

duckyduck
07-12-2002, 09:06 AM
If you were using WindowsME, you don't mention which OS, access would be denied to the System Restore Files if you had that option enabled in Windows.

Since you are also using PC-cillen even though you might have it disabled at the time it is possible that PC-Cillen is still protecting its own Quaranteen folder in which case it could refuse access to those files, after all, if possible unfected files have been locked away then PC-Cillen is not going to want any access to those files from another program.

tweak\'e
07-12-2002, 09:33 AM
go to compltete test settings and set it to scan all extensions. for some reason most antivirus programs are not set to check all files. also check that heuristics is on.

davidosman
07-12-2002, 06:12 PM
Thanks Duckyduck and the others who replied. I'm using Windows XP Home Edition, but I have System Restore disabled, so this shouldn't be a problem.
You're probably right that PC-cillen doesn't allow AVG to look in the Quaranteen folder. I'm just surprised that AVG doesn't report in big red letters that it hasn't been able to look in these folders. It happens with other folders apart from the Quaranteen one. It's only when I click on "Detail info" that I discover what's happening.
Incidentally, another thing AVG doesn't seem to make clear - if you cancel a Complete Check in the middle, the test results make no mention of this, it just says No viruses detected. I just think that these are things that AVG users should know about!