PDA

View Full Version : Dynalink Rural Modem

Dak2
06-12-2002, 04:42 PM
Has anyone had any real time experiences with the new Dynalink rural modems? The one that is around $400, they are meant to be able to re-train up as well as down. Client wants to buy one but I'm debatable as to they are worth shelling out near $400 for.

Clueless
06-12-2002, 06:44 PM
$400!? ?:|

I paid about $200 for mine and gave it to a freind of mine who lives in Punekikei. They make a difference. Mine made a difference with dodgy old telecon phone lines between Phillipstown and central CHCH exchange. My freind went from being able to connect at 9.6Kbits/sec on some very dodgy telecom wiring to getting a connection speed of 16Kbits. She was rather extatic about this. Allthough most of us would crindge at the very concept of a 16Kbit connection, for her this was a HUGE improvement.

Apartently telecom have laid some real cable (no cutting costs by using wire on farmers fence) and she can now get over 20Kbits/sec

I really dont know where the $400 price tag suddunly came from though.

These modems are real modems, so they wont need 'doze or drivers or anything silly like that to run

.Clueless

godfather
06-12-2002, 07:46 PM
The $400 ones are "type 2" recently released. As Clueless said, the older ones had a good reputation, wonder how many are out there yet of the new ones?

hoopzta
09-12-2002, 03:07 PM
Yes I have one of the u90e modems (Rural 2). I live out of town and have had shocking connection speeds. Under the advise of a friend I then bought one of these modems and let me tell you they are powerful little machines. I now connect at around 52 and am very very happy with the results.
I was skeptical myself with the cost but it has been well worth it and i've had no problems at all.

I talked to the guys on the helpdesk and they gave me some great info on it such as the fact that it has a feature which tones out the interferance from electric fences and so on which is great for us rural users.