PDA

View Full Version : OT confusion over copyright.

Clueless
06-12-2002, 02:34 PM
I have been told that when a work gets old enough it falls intp the public domain. The example being the works of Beethoven.

Is this true and what period of time is involved here?

I have heard, possible falsely that it is 20 years, if this was true classic monty python would be copyright free!!!

Any comment from someone who knows what they are talking about?

.Clueless

godfather
06-12-2002, 02:40 PM
The World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) treaty generally has 50 years after the death of the artist, but local legislations can differ and override this.

But don't quote me...

crozier
06-12-2002, 02:42 PM
Does this mean that all Buddy Holly songs (he died in 1959, by memory) will be public domain in 2009?

Graham L
06-12-2002, 03:30 PM
Maybe. The US Government has been bribed to extend the copyright on Mickey Mouse and all the other Disney characters past the ?50 years after Disney's death. They'll probably treat all copyright "breaches" as terrorism, ansd send out the B52s. So watch out, all you downloaders.

Heather P
06-12-2002, 03:30 PM
Did Buddy Holly write his own songs or was there a writer? Would make a difference.

crozier
06-12-2002, 03:42 PM
>They'll probably treat all copyright "breaches" as terrorism, ansd send out the B52s

I read somewhare that the average American has lousy geography - the won't even know where NZ is ;)

>>Did Buddy Holly write his own songs or was there a writer? Would make a difference.

I'm a subcribe to the fact that Buddy was the true King of Rock & Roll. One reason I've always used for this view is that Buddy Holly & The Crickets wrote their own music while Elvis never wrote a note.

duckyduck
06-12-2002, 03:54 PM
The area of (c) Copyright in New Zealand is worse than tip toeing through a mine field............They polies were supposed to be cleaning it up but waht progress they ever made I don't know.

Basically copyright is 50 years from the death or the NZ artist / author, whether it is also 50 years from the death of for those artists / authors that were not New Zealanders I am unsure so whether Buddy Holly would be copyright free after 50 years, probably not but any photographs that are copyrighted against my name would be copyright free 50 years after my death.

Mike
07-12-2002, 10:14 AM
> The World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO)
> treaty generally has 50 years after the death of the
> artist, but local legislations can differ and
> override this.
>
> But don't quote me...

I have a feeling that it's 50 years after the death of the copyright holder... so this doesn't help when copyright is held by a recording company or such...

Mike.

Baldy
07-12-2002, 10:30 AM
What about when say its SOLD to a third party.

EG: Wacko Jacko owning the Beatles songs

I think that stuff like Buddy Holly will be owned by someone like the "Buddy Holly Foundation" or similar

Deebee
07-12-2002, 04:53 PM
Could be wrong, but I think Paul McCartney bought the rights to Holly's material.

Crozier: I'm a big fan of Buddy Holly -- can just remember him from before he died. I'm trying to buy everything he recorded, and have 12 CDs. Also two excellent biographies. Hoping the CD of his two LPs "Holly in the Hills" and "Giant" will arrive in NZ soon -- it was released in the States in August. That will give me 17 of his tracks that I don't have.

crozier
07-12-2002, 07:02 PM
Deebee, I have a cassette tape that was given to me by a fellah I met in London who did met Hollys manager shortly after his death. This tape contains stuff never released and he got copied it from reel to reel tapes. One of the songs was recorded by Hollys mum when he was in the shower. Recording is poor but pure!

Deebee
07-12-2002, 11:45 PM
Sounds good. In the 70s I had on a reel tape a song of his that I got off the radio where he called out "Mother" at the end. Obviously a home recording. It's not on any of my CDs, and I have a vague idea it may have been "Have You Ever Been Lonely."

The biographies I have are "Remembering Buddy" (1996 update) by John Goldrosen and John Beecher, and "Buddy the Biography" by Philip Norman. Both are excellent, and make up for the rubbish in the movie about him. He was so talented, yet ego free too. This comes out in his interviews. He was appy to stand back and let others take the limelight.

I often get hacked off that "The Complete Buddy Holly" has never been released on CD.

artpepper
08-12-2002, 01:11 AM
yes it differs in different territories but for example anything that has PD (Public Domain) is up for gerabs ie you do not need to pay royalties to the writer (I think it is fifty years in most countries)...this makes old tunes etc very desirable for greedy artists!

so Dylan's World Gone Wrong - an album of covers of old blues/folk tunes from America is all PD - all publishing is his...

likewise all the classical composers ofcourse

otherwise you can still "cover" whatever song you wish but the publishing
royalties will automatically go to the writers via APRA in Australiasia or BMI ASCAP et al world-wide - the performer or "name" artist (note not contracted musos) gets the mechanical royalties from the sales of the actual CD...

that is how I understand it anyway and I have been involved in the music industry and know some regards APRA (got my (small)check last month!)...

the details of publishing/recording contracts are fraught areas

record companies are NOT GOOD GUYS - trust me...this whole burnt and get burnt campaign is offensive - greed posturing behing "fairplay" semantics...

ask any artist if they've ever received mechanical royalties without having to put up a fight! the RCompanies saying that file-sharing is stealing from the artist's is just rubbish - file-sharing is encouraged by most enlightened bands today (Wilco, CCrows, You Am I ofcourse with riders) - the whole debate is symbolic of record company greed blinding them to prudent business decisions

but I'm ranting

sorry

Clueless
08-12-2002, 11:56 AM
When i showed muso friends who were not net savvy just what an efficiant music distributor Audio Galaxy was, the responce wasnt scathing, but more likely an expression of interest in bringing round a CD to put into the system.

Many musos are putting their stuff on websites for free download Christchurch Wonders C^M^O (http://www.cripple.co.nz) have a free download of a 20 minute EP on their site. When i asked Andy the songwriter and webmaster if i might have permission to burn as many copies as possible to distribute amounst friends and friends friends , his responce was "so long as you dont charge more than what the media cost". $2/disk was exceptable.

Hes a wise lad... he will be fully aware that he can get more interest for the band that way, more punters at gigs, and ultimatly more copies of the CD sold through the band having a larger profile.. No offence to any humans that might read this, but the masses are sheep, and if 3 of Joe Punters mates know about a band and think they are cool, then Joe might go see them and/or buy the CD. but if Joe has never heard of them, then Joe won't bother. Baaaaa! baaaahh!

.Clueless